Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

"Charade" Color 1953 What OAR is it please ?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-03, 12:23 AM
Rest in Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a new DVD (still wrapped) with words wide screen and fully remastered video on it. The 1963 113 minute version has Cary Grant, Audrey Heburn, Walter Matthau and James Coburn. Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn pictures on the front cover art, both films are on one double layer disc. Other features are Cary Crant Biography, Trivia Quiz, and original theatrical trailer, plus bonus "Charade" (1953).

Last edited by danol; 08-18-03 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-18-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Charade that stars Grant, Hepburn, and the rest was made in 1963, not 1953. The OAR is 1.85:1.

The 1953 film titled Charade starred James Mason and was in black and white.

DJ
Old 08-18-03, 12:34 AM
Rest in Peace

djtoell

James Mason and the 1963 version with Cary Grant, so I am still asking what OAR did the 1953 film have?
Old 08-18-03, 12:46 AM

I am so lost at this point and it is only the 3rd post in...
Old 08-18-03, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1.33:1, according to IMDb.

Rob
Old 08-18-03, 01:03 AM

If a film was made in 1953, isn't it a given that its OAR is 1.33:1? Or are there exceptions to this?
Old 08-18-03, 01:33 AM
Rest in Peace

Caiman

Yes there are exceptions one is "The Robe" which was made in Cinemascope creating the first wide screen. To my knowledge the next film was 20,000 Leagues under the Sea in 1954 2.55:1. I was just not sure about the the now known to me Industry Standard 1.33:1 but no Pan and Scan.
Old 08-18-03, 02:38 AM

Originally posted by fnordboy
I am so lost at this point and it is only the 3rd post in...
To make it even more confusing: notice that he completely re-edited his first post almost 20 minutes after I made my reply. It originally referred to the Grant/Hepburn film as the 1953 version, hence my reply.

DJ
Old 08-18-03, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
What's the best version of the Cary Grant CHARADE currently available? Would it be the one that's bundled with THE TRUTH ABOUT CHARLIE?
Old 08-18-03, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I have the Criterion edition and it is just fine. If memory serves, some people have said the version bundled with The Truth About Charlie has a slightly better transfer. The former version has a hilarious commentary with the director (Doonen) and the screenwriter (Stone). Doone is constantly trying to talk to the audience about the movie and Stone keeps insisting that he shouldn't give away the ending.
There is another version of the movie floating around out there but the transfer isn't very good.
Old 08-18-03, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
OMG - the only listing for a DVD that has both the 1963 and 1953 moves titled Charade is on Madacy - which probably means that you now own the worst possible transfer of the movie. You should probably open it and take a look - once you've seen a Madacy DVD, everything else looks great. Even VHS looks great after watching a Madacy DVD.

You are now the proud owner of reference-quality crap.
Old 08-18-03, 09:32 AM
Banned

Originally posted by marty888
OMG - the only listing for a DVD that has both the 1963 and 1953 moves titled Charade is on Madacy - which probably means that you now own the worst possible transfer of the movie. You should probably open it and take a look - once you've seen a Madacy DVD, everything else looks great. Even VHS looks great after watching a Madacy DVD.

You are now the proud owner of reference-quality crap.
Yeah but at least he didn't get a bootleg. From his original description it sounded like a boot now it's just legal crap.
Old 08-18-03, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Caiman

Originally posted by danol
Yes there are exceptions one is "The Robe" which was made in Cinemascope creating the first wide screen. To my knowledge the next film was 20,000 Leagues under the Sea in 1954 2.55:1. I was just not sure about the the now known to me Industry Standard 1.33:1 but no Pan and Scan.
Here are the Cinemascope releases as listed at widescreenmuseum.com :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beneath the 12-Mile Reef
How to Marry a Millionaire
King of the Khyber Rifles
Knights of the Round Table
The Robe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
A Star Is Born
Adventures of Hajji Baba
Bad Day at Black Rock
Black Widow
Brigadoon
Broken Lance
Carmen Jones
Demetrius and the Gladiators
Desiree
Drum Beat
Garden of Evil
Green Fire
Hell and High Water
High and the Mighty
King Richard and the Crusaders
Long John Silver
Lucky Me
New Faces
Night People
Prince Valiant
Ring of Fear
River of No Return
Rose Marie
Seven Brides For Seven Brothers
Sign of the Pagan
Sitting Bull
The Adventures of Hajji Baba
The Black Shield of Falworth
The Command
The Egyptian
The Royal Tour of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip
The Silver Chalice
The Student Prince
There's No Business Like Show Business
Three Coins In The Fountain
Track of the Cat
Woman's World
Old 08-18-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.dvdbeaver.com
go to comparisons, go to c, go to charade, and notice that the anamorphic version is too dark.
Old 08-18-03, 12:13 PM

I have both the Criterion and the Universal versions of Charade and I consider the Criterion the better transfer. Unfortunately, the Criterion transfer in not 16:9 enhanced. Depending on one's hardware, the choice may not be as easy as "which one has a better transfer".

Zooming the Criterion disc on the average 16:9 TV may degrade the image to the point that Universal's enhanced disc could be a better choice simply for the 16:9 enhancement. On the other hand, if one is using a 4:3 TV, or is using the Panasonic RP91 DVD player (for 4:3 aspect ratio scaling), the Criterion is the way to go.
Old 08-18-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by philo
What's the best version of the Cary Grant CHARADE currently available? Would it be the one that's bundled with THE TRUTH ABOUT CHARLIE?
I recommend the Criterion if you can find it easily and don't have to pay too much for it. It is OOP. I really enjoyed the commentary on this one.

I haven't seen the the one that is bundled with The Truth About Charlie......I try to avoid pointless remakes as much as possible, but it's probably going to be better than all the other public domain releases out there.
Old 08-18-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by philo
Currently available? Yes.

But the best version overall is the out-of-print Criterion. Better looking transfer, fantastic extras. It's definitely worth seeking out while the prices are still reasonable.
Old 08-18-03, 05:53 PM
Rest in Peace

1954 "Beaneath the 12 Mile Reef stars a very young Robert Wagner and Terry More, as sponge divers, movie made in color.
Was that the same Terry Moore who starred in "Mighty Joe Young" she was beautiful in both movies. IMHO

Gee now that I know the OAR I would like "The High and the Mighty" Color with John Wayne. We got to light a fire under the wayne family it wasn't released to video it's high time it was released to DVD IMO. Hell and High Water B & W stars Richard Widmark as a submarine Captain. Fortunately I have both of these on Vhs when we could legally tape "The High and The Mighty" off of TV, the same goes with the Richard Widmark film.

John Wayne (whistling Dan) and a young Robert Stack (The Untouchables TV series) were the featured stars of "The High and the Mighty",
Spoiler:
remember how many gallons of aviation gasoline were left when they landed?

Thanks for the tute on what movies were the first wide screen
available.
Old 08-18-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
Currently available? Yes.

But the best version overall is the out-of-print Criterion. Better looking transfer, fantastic extras. It's definitely worth seeking out while the prices are still reasonable.
Probably my favorite DVD in my collection. The commentary is one of the best and most fun to listen to.
Old 08-18-03, 08:59 PM
Rest in Peace

darkside

Your not the only one that has DVD that next to no has and it's for my private use only, why wait on somethings when you can have them now. Yes I have the Wide screen image, Whistling Dan is safe and alive at my place. Just backing up what you already have they say is no crime. Many years ago a certain pay TV station ran the wide screen, I still have the JVC S-video that I taped the whole wide screen on, then had it transferred it to DVD by a professional company, for there were no macrovision or Content Scramble System in 1954 when the film was made.
I don't own a DVD recorder I leave it up to professionals, money can't buy you love, but it can buy you a professional made DVD backup with chapters that the original movie didn't have!
Old 08-19-03, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: darkside

there were no macrovision or Content Scramble System in 1954 when the film was made.
It doesn't matter when the movie was made. Macrovision can be applied to any video, DVD or even television broadcast, and CSS, which is specific to DVD, is applied to virtually every DVD made. These are done during the video mastering process and have nothing to do with how the film was made.
Old 08-19-03, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1954 "Beaneath the 12 Mile Reef stars a very young Robert Wagner and Terry More, as sponge divers, movie made in color.
Was that the same Terry Moore who starred in "Mighty Joe Young" she was beautiful in both movies. IMHO

Thanks for the tute on what movies were the first wide screen
available.
Yup, same Terry Moore. Beneath... is available widescreen on an inexpensive Goodtimes release. Not the greatest transfer, but much better than any other cheapie release of this film, which received an Academy Award nomination for its photography.