new 24 season 2 watchers be warned, heavy spoilers in menus, docs ect

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
new 24 season 2 watchers be warned, heavy spoilers in menus, docs ect

stole this from htf and is a must have for newbies
have to give credit to Simon Massey over at htf for making this
I have managed to watch 24 Season 2 on DVD for the first time, (absolutely fantastic and much better thought out than the first season) and for any new viewers who have not watched this series, a word of caution if you dont want to be spoiled :

1. Don't watch any of the extras before you get to the end of the set. The excellent 96 minute documentary covers the making of the final 2 episodes of the season is extremely spoiler heavy (it is also very interesting to watch by the way, and not like your typical EPK featurette.)

2. Don't read any of the booklet included. Each of the episodes has a little sypnosis for what is happening in that episode, and even the title of some of the other extras gives away some of the plot.

3. The menus. There is an initial menu when you select the episode you want to watch, and then it moves to another menu for the selected episode. Problem is that the menus for the individual episode all contain a screenshot from the episode, and many of these do give away a plot point in the relevant episode. Best to select the PLAY ALL option on the first menu.

4. BTW, many of the episodes contain deleted scenes and alternate takes which can be branched into the episode (similar to the X MEN DVD so there is a pause between the scenes). I tried watching one episode with these included but it really slows down the episode (you can tell that most of these scenes have been altered to keep up the pace of the episode).

Fantastic DVD set though, and they made much more of an effort with this set than Season 1. No Season 3 preview though.

why fox had to do this is beyond me
Old 08-15-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I'm about to get down with Season 2 in the next couple of days. I suspect as such though. There are a whole host of spoilers in the Season 1 set too (at least the Region 2 UK that I watched), particularly the animated menus and the voice-over dialogue. I can understand spoilers in the extras etc, but in the menus is unforgivable. Luckily, my instincts told me something wasn't right, so I avoided them.
Old 08-15-03, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the heads up. If only someone would have posted the same thing about the Reservoir Dogs dvd before I bought it and was told the ending by the cover.
Old 08-15-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the warning.
Old 08-15-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Thanks for the heads up. If only someone would have posted the same thing about the Reservoir Dogs dvd before I bought it and was told the ending by the cover.
I'm guessing you got
Spoiler:
Mr. Pink
Old 08-15-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I’m one that doesn’t see how this is a spoiler. Someone can tell me all about a movie and certain scenes or show me pictures all they want. And it will have no effect on my enjoyment of the film.
Old 08-15-03, 11:12 PM

Re: new 24 season 2 watchers be warned, heavy spoilers in menus, docs ect

Fox does this a lot. The PHONE BOOTH DVD had a spoiler in the extra features menu, and the BUFFY season sets always have menu spoilers similar to those described above with 24.

I’m one that doesn’t see how this is a spoiler. Someone can tell me all about a movie and certain scenes or show me pictures all they want. And it will have no effect on my enjoyment of the film.
If you've ever experienced anything like this, you would understand. For example, BUFFY has a rotating cast of peripheral characters. Often, when they appear on an episode, it's meant to be a surprise. Well, when that character is pictured in the episode menu, the surprise is ruined. Menus like these can often destroy any suspense.
Old 08-16-03, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for the warning. I avoided season 2 when it was broadcast in anticipation of the dvd.
Old 08-16-03, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

@Mike,

I can agree that surprise characters shouldn’t be pictured on the box, or menus. But, for the DVD extras/features and stuff, common sense would dictate that you watch those after you are done with the DVD/Set.
Old 08-16-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Tazwolff
@Mike,

I can agree that surprise characters shouldn’t be pictured on the box, or menus. But, for the DVD extras/features and stuff, common sense would dictate that you watch those after you are done with the DVD/Set.
Oh, I wouldn't mind a box cover art featuring just a picture of
Spoiler:
Naked Mandy
Old 08-16-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: new 24 season 2 watchers be warned, heavy spoilers in menus, docs ect

Originally posted by Rypro 525

They assume that the people who buy the season set have already seen every episode.
Old 08-17-03, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
This still isn't anywhere near as bad as the Sopranos sets from HBO. When you select an episode, it actually brings you to a menu screen with a plot summary of that very episode. It doesn't just show you a vague photo image that might be construed as a spoiler, it tells you IN TEXT exactly what you're about to watch!
Old 08-22-03, 05:13 PM

I have just reviewed the R2 Limited Edition Box set (Season 1 & 2) and I can backup the claim concerning the extras. You certainly don't want to watch them before the series themselves. The documentary is superb, but does give away too much of the plot and indeed shows the final episodes. Anyway if you are interested in my review it can be found here
Old 08-22-03, 06:29 PM

welshboy: nice review of a rollercoaster DVD. One thing I would say is that - in comparison to the picture quality on digital BBC3 - the picture quality on the dvd release is not quite as good. But only noticeable to nitpickers like me, I think. The last episode with a CTU agent's hand-to-hand fight with one of the villain's henchmen (worded so as not to spoil the show) was out of this world fantastic!
Old 08-22-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the warning
Old 08-22-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: new 24 season 2 watchers be warned, heavy spoilers in menus, docs ect

Originally posted by Mike Long
If you've ever experienced anything like this, you would understand. For example, BUFFY has a rotating cast of peripheral characters. Often, when they appear on an episode, it's meant to be a surprise. Well, when that character is pictured in the episode menu, the surprise is ruined. Menus like these can often destroy any suspense.
Well, I guess the Buffy opeing credits are full of spoilers also, because I remember seeing guest characters' names all the time before they appeared in the episode.
Old 09-01-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

also thankfully, the names of the featurettes are NOT listed on the back of the box as originally feared
Old 09-01-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

also if someone has it early, do any of the deleted scenes interact with the original broadcast? I mean, if you had not seen the episode before, you wouldn't know it was a deleted scene. Also the back of the box link (I linked it instead of posting it because it contains the crucial surprise ending of the first season) Also, I think the season premiere is now a full 60 min since it says its extended (when fox aired this originally, they ran it commercial free, but they put 2 5 min ford ads before and after the show, while last night, we had to sit with 10 min of ads before continuing on)
I wonder if one of the deleted scene's shows us
Spoiler:
how Nina and Jack's plane crashed and how they survived. a possible reason why they cut it is since they still might want to show a plane crashing due to 9/11

Last edited by Rypro 525; 09-01-03 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-01-03, 11:29 PM

I loved both seasons of 24 but never picked up the first season on DVD. I'm thinking of buying both. However, I have a quick question. How do the DVDs deal with the time lapse created by the commercials?
Old 09-02-03, 02:17 AM
Cool New Member

On the first season set, the scene went to black with the clock ticking. Then started right back up with 2 mins or so added to the ticking clock.
Old 09-02-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Was this even supposed to come out today?

Best Buy didn't have it - nor did they have any sort of indication that they should have had it.

WTF?
Old 09-02-03, 01:55 PM

Nope....next week. (Sept 9)
Old 09-02-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Then why the hell does the dvdtalk release list show it coming out today?
Old 09-02-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by slop101
Then why the hell does the dvdtalk release list show it coming out today?
it was originally schedueled for today, but for some reason, they moved it to a week later. (maybe to avoid alias season 1 for competition.)