Search

B&W tv sci fi series that should be on DVD

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-03, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&W tv sci fi series that should be on DVD

You know ...

The Invaders

The Immortal (not sure of title but it had something to do with this guy's blood. He's immortal or something like it. And the government or someone is after him or for his blood. Something like that)

Lost in Space (everyone's favorite)

Time Tunnel (cool concept)

and then there must be others that I can't remember.

These would be cool if they came out in boxset.
Old 08-13-03, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every one of those you listed was filmed in color with the exception of the first season of Lost In Space

Harry
Old 08-13-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
TALES OF TOMORROW - I have one of the VHS volumes of this series from the early 50's, and the four episodes feature such people as Boris Karloff, Rod Steiger and a very unknown Paul Newman - great stuff that hopefully will make its way to DVD someday.

And I wouldn't mind seeing Tom Corbett, Space Cadet again...
Old 08-13-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I could have sworn Lost in Space was in black and white for a little longer then that. Probably just seems that way.
Old 08-13-03, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by marty888
TALES OF TOMORROW - I have one of the VHS volumes of this series from the early 50's, and the four episodes feature such people as Boris Karloff, Rod Steiger and a very unknown Paul Newman - great stuff that hopefully will make its way to DVD someday.

Old 08-13-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BizRodian
I could have sworn Lost in Space was in black and white for a little longer then that. Probably just seems that way.
Same here. I wasn't around back then, but I watched this show every day growing up on late night TV on channel 9 in Minneapolis, and I saw a wide majority of episodes on black and white. I was always under the impression just the last season was in color. If just the first season was, it will be one big ass box set (this one comes out in January from Fox) because I recall a lot of episodes in black and white.
Old 08-13-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unless it was only two seasons...
Old 08-13-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea-first season was B&W except for the opening episode.
Old 08-13-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally posted by calhoun07
Same here. I wasn't around back then, but I watched this show every day growing up on late night TV on channel 9 in Minneapolis, and I saw a wide majority of episodes on black and white. I was always under the impression just the last season was in color. If just the first season was, it will be one big ass box set (this one comes out in January from Fox) because I recall a lot of episodes in black and white.
I WAS around back then and watched the show religiously. You are correct that the first two seasons are B&W. Anxiously awaiting the 1st Season Set in January, whether it computes or not!
Old 08-14-03, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish they would release the old B&W Saint episodes. (not really sci fi, but cult)

and of course more B&W 60's Doctor Who

I loved the first season of Lost in Space, it was really good, it became too silly when it was in color.
Old 08-14-03, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by Bronkster
I WAS around back then and watched the show religiously. You are correct that the first two seasons are B&W. Anxiously awaiting the 1st Season Set in January, whether it computes or not!
Sorry to be so adament, but really, I was there too - I'm 52 years old. Lost In Space spent its first season in black & white, with the last two in color. That first year, 1965-1966, was the last great year for black & white television, with many shows in the midst of conversion. 1966-1967, is generally considered to be the first season of almost all color in prime time, with NBC proudly becoming "The Full-color Network".

Here's a webpage I found - it's got a pic from every episode, where you can clearly see that season 2 of Lost In Space began with color episodes.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~idak/lis/

It is general consensus among fans that the first year was the best, and that once color came along, the series got much sillier.

Harry
Old 08-14-03, 07:29 AM
Defunct Account

Originally posted by HGN2001

It is general consensus among fans that the first year was the best, and that once color came along, the series got much sillier.

I agree! The first season was a serious SF show with continuity. Starting with the second season, they started the monster-of-the-week formula. Then, because of the sucess of the "Batman" TV show, they decided to turn it into a campy comedy. Anyone remember the episode where Dr. Smith (and others) were turned into plants? Oh God, what a horrible episode.

The 1st season still sticks out in my mind as one of the best SF series of the era.

-Videophile
Old 08-14-03, 09:17 AM
vgc

Originally posted by videophile
I agree! The first season was a serious SF show with continuity. Starting with the second season, they started the monster-of-the-week formula. Then, because of the sucess of the "Batman" TV show, they decided to turn it into a campy comedy. Anyone remember the episode where Dr. Smith (and others) were turned into plants? Oh God, what a horrible episode.

The 1st season still sticks out in my mind as one of the best SF series of the era.

-Videophile
I agree with you!! The 1st season was very good, and there were very few episodes that were bad. The 2nd season was almost a total waste with very few episodes that you would want to watch again. Then with the 3rd season you had some good episodes again, and some really really bad episodes. The Anti-Matter Man was a great episode, and on the other end was the horrible Great Vegetable Rebellion with the giant carrot as the villian. This series needs to be on DVD!!
Old 08-14-03, 09:24 AM

I'd Love to see the British Quatermass series released on DVD in the USA. Not likely.If that's out on DVD in the UK, I'd be tempted to go out and get an all region player for that alone. Anyone know if it is?
Old 08-14-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm...I recall several of the supposed color episodes you guys are talking about, and I saw them in black and white on TV. Now I have to wonder if it was just the TV reception coming in crappy that removed the color? Because that was back in "the day," living in the country with no cable TV, just an atennae in Minnesota weather that, if pointed north, would pick up the Twin Cities channels great, but once a strong north wind came thru, it would point south, and those Twin Cities channels came in like crap. So maybe all that time I was watching them in black and white due to poor reception! Now I want to see them on DVD just to be able to see them the way they were intended to be seen!
Old 08-14-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally posted by HGN2001
Sorry to be so adament, but really, I was there too - I'm 52 years old. Lost In Space spent its first season in black & white, with the last two in color. That first year, 1965-1966, was the last great year for black & white television, with many shows in the midst of conversion. 1966-1967, is generally considered to be the first season of almost all color in prime time, with NBC proudly becoming "The Full-color Network".

Here's a webpage I found - it's got a pic from every episode, where you can clearly see that season 2 of Lost In Space began with color episodes.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~idak/lis/

Harry
Well, I stand (or sit) corrected! The probability of originally watching these on a B&W TV wouldn't account for why II seem to think that, in reruns, I still recall them as B&W. Perhaps I should set down the bong...