Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Roan Group info (for those who asked)

Old 08-12-03, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To add to Navin's question, what are Troma's current plans for Roan? Are more titles planned? How can I buy titles that aren't listed in the Troma mall (the new ones like Borderline, not the out of print ones like Rain).
Greetings from Tromaville!

I have a bit of info for you on the Roan Group. Not much, but here's what there is:

We DO have plans to release more Roan titles over the coming year. What those titles exactly are haven't been decided, but we have just released as part of the Roan Group series AMOS 'N' ANDY IN CHECK AND DOUBLE CHECK (1930).

Our entire collection (including BORDERLINE) is available at the Roan Studio Store, Amazon.com and Buy.com, among others.

We will keep the latest information at the Roan Group site:
http://ttv.troma.com/roan/
Old 08-12-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank you Chris! Amos and Andy? Holy cow, look out for trouble... good thing you guys are independant.

By the way, my dad'll love this - and I probably will too. Thanks for the news!
Old 08-12-03, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
Thank you Chris! Amos and Andy? Holy cow, look out for trouble... good thing you guys are independant.

By the way, my dad'll love this - and I probably will too. Thanks for the news!
Glad I could help. Also look for Adventures in Iraq/The Legion of Missing Men coming soon!
Old 08-12-03, 06:44 PM
Defunct Account

Thanks Chris, I hadn't heard about this. I'm a Roan fan too, and I'll put this on my "buy" list.

Just out of curiosity, does Cary Roan still have any input to the line? I've heard that he retired when he sold his company to Troma, but I've also heard the opposite, that he's still involved.

Does anyone know a site that lists all the DVDs and LDs that Roan put out (including the OOP titles?) I'd like to see which ones I'm missing.

-Videophile
Old 08-12-03, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow Chris, I just checked the site (I don't go near Troma's site at work ) and that's Amos and Andy's big screen debut! Very cool man. My dad's gonna flip.

The Adventures in Iraq looks horrible... I'll have to get it.

Thanks again!

Oh yeah, and what video said... come clean with some info on Carry Roan. It's not like y'all got him shackled to the wall in a Troma dungeon, forcing him to transfer Roan films under the crack of the whip, is it?
Old 08-12-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Roan Group info (for those who asked)

Originally posted by Chris Lanphear
Our entire collection (including BORDERLINE) is available at the Roan Studio Store
I see you've got Captain Kidd up now too. Very cool.
Old 08-14-03, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by videophile
Thanks Chris, I hadn't heard about this. I'm a Roan fan too, and I'll put this on my "buy" list.

Just out of curiosity, does Cary Roan still have any input to the line? I've heard that he retired when he sold his company to Troma, but I've also heard the opposite, that he's still involved.

Does anyone know a site that lists all the DVDs and LDs that Roan put out (including the OOP titles?) I'd like to see which ones I'm missing.

-Videophile
I believe he's essentially retired. He is more than welcome to give his input on how the line is put out, though.

I don't know of a site that has all the Roan titles. I personally update the Roan Group site but that only lists the in-print and titles we still have rights to.
Old 08-14-03, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, give Carry our best if you can - he did a great service for old film lovers.

Speaking of updating the site, I noticed both Dementia 13 and Zulu are absent. Are these out of print? I know there is a widely available verison of Zulu from another company but as I've got 99% of the Roan dvds, I'd like your version. Also, I have someone on another forum asking for Dementia 13. Are these still available, or do we need to start hangin' around ebay?

Also, from what I've seen, it looks like the following titles are out of print, but I've never seen a solid confirmation either way. If you could, would you confirm the availability status on the following?

Rain
The Great St. Louis Bank Robbery
The Big Lift
(and I believe you mentioned elsewhere that the Anthony Mann noir collection is out of print? If so, that is a shame for sure )

and that you know of, have I missed any?

Thanks again Chris - hope I'm not wearing you out with all the questions.
Old 08-14-03, 12:09 PM

As for DEMENTIA 13, RAIN, THE GREAT ST. LOUIS BANK ROBBERY, THE BIG LIFT, Anthony Mann noir series, and ZULU, sorry, we no longer have the rights to any of those films.

I've seen our version of ZULU pop up on eBay recently, so perhaps check there. Best o' luck to ya!
Old 08-14-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got 'em all except Zulu, but it's still too bad for others; the Anthony Mann set is great, the transfer on Rain is terrific, and D13, well, any horror/suspense fan should have it, and it's got cool extras to boot.

Ah well, I'll refer my friend to eBay.

Thanks for the quick responses Chris.
Old 08-14-03, 01:49 PM
Defunct Account

The Fighting SUllivans is also OOP to the best of my knowledge.

-Videophile
Old 08-14-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Fighting SUllivans is also OOP to the best of my knowledge.

-Videophile
D'OH! I do believe you're right. I think that was the first one to go oop as well. How could I forget?
Old 08-14-03, 09:37 PM
Defunct Account

I tried to order "Fighting Sullivans" from TROMA a couple of times, but it was always OOS. I even called Millie and talked to her about it. She said that she hoped to get some in, but they never did. :-( So I still need that one and "The Big Lift" then I'll have all the OOPs. I have about half the westerns, and all the rest.

Some really great movies are on this label, and most of them look really good. (Just in case there is anyone besides Mr. Hyde and myself reading this thread, and still are still sitting on the fence.)

Hey Chris, are there any plans to continue the 'Horror Classics' line? And why are there two #7's? (Both "The Corpse Vanishes/ The Devil Bat" and "The Human Monster" are labeled "Horror Classics 7")

Another question: You said that you don't have the rights to Dementia 13. Isn't it in the public domain? I thought that FFC and Corman didn't have the $$ to register a copyright on it.

-Videophile
Old 09-20-03, 01:49 PM
Defunct Account

THought I'd give this thread a bump and ask Chris a question if he still frequents this board.

I've noticed several Roan titles are no longer listed on the Troma web site. They are not listed as out of stock, they just are not there any more. Does this mean they are OOP?

Just curious.

-Videophile
Old 09-20-03, 03:56 PM

Greetings from Tromaville!

Short answer: Depends on the title.

Longer answer: Roan titles occasionally go out of print because we lose an agreement we have for that title, or another studio has picked it up.

If you are curious about a certain title, please let me know and I can probably help you out. For a complete listing of all currently available Roan titles, please visit the Roan Group web site at http://ttv.troma.com/roan/

Thanks!
Old 09-20-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, fast response there Chris; it's good to know you're keeping tabs on the thread.

Thanks for staying in touch.
Old 09-21-03, 04:08 PM
Defunct Account

Thanks for the response Chris. The two titles I noticed were not in the Troma store were "Bird of Paradise" and "Invisible Ghost." They are still listed on the Roan site, so I guess they are still in print.

-Videophile

Last edited by videophile; 09-22-03 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-21-03, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the response Chris. The two titles I noticed were not in the Troma store were "Bird of Paradise" and "Invisible Ghost." They are still listed on the Raon site, so I guess they are still in print.

-Videophile
To my knowledge, they are still carried by the Roan Group and are in print. I've sent the correct inquiries to our customer service dept.

Thanks for the heads-up!