Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Airplane-Themed Movies to Watch on a Long Flight?

Community
Search

Airplane-Themed Movies to Watch on a Long Flight?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-03, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "Survival" boxed set has a nice piece re-creating (via a simulator) the Delta Airlines Lockheed L-1011 TriStar crash of August 2, 1985, at DFW International in Texas, as it tries to land in a severe thunderstorm. THAT'D be real fun to watch as your own flight hits a bit of unexpected turbulence!

Last edited by davidvp; 08-10-03 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-10-03, 09:37 PM

...so I can scare The Wife ...
Well isn't that special!??
Looks like ol' gopeglegs will be bedding down in the garage and/or den for a few months after this hair-raising trip, huh?
Old 08-10-03, 09:44 PM

If none of the above are enough to frighten the better half, you might try running the T. Zone episode, "The Odyssey Of Flight 33" (DVD Volume 2), which features a Boeing 707 returning to the dinosaur age. The Captain of this aircraft also is the same actor who sold Janet Leigh a used car in 1960's "Psycho". (This fact, of course, has nothing to do with the price of green beans in Arkansas, I thought I'd just toss it out there as a pure bonus hunk o' trivia. )

Last edited by davidvp; 08-10-03 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-10-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Top Gun
Old 08-11-03, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
FEARLESS has some good stuff though the scariest thing might be the 1.33:1 presentation.
Old 08-14-03, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by davidvp
Well isn't that special!??
Looks like ol' gopeglegs will be bedding down in the garage and/or den for a few months after this hair-raising trip, huh?
You know, it really never occurred to me, but someone at work told me that since we'll be on the plane on our honeymoon, I should get something romantic....ugghhh...

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 08-14-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
How about Alive? Everything you need in airplane entertainment. Maybe munch on some jerky while watching it, for added effect.

Edit: Oops, already suggested. Well, I second that suggestion (assuming it is even on DVD).
Old 08-16-03, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally posted by davidvp

The "Survival" boxed set has a nice piece re-creating (via a simulator) the Delta Airlines Lockheed L-1011 TriStar crash of August 2, 1985, at DFW International in Texas, as it tries to land in a severe thunderstorm. THAT'D be real fun to watch as your own flight hits a bit of unexpected turbulence!
This TLC documentary miniseries is a goldmine for airplane disaster buffs. It's guaranteed to make the wife crap her pants.

For me, perhaps the most memorable segment involves a frightening, detailed computer simulation of the 1977 runway collision of two 747s in Tenerife, an accident that took the lives of almost 600 people.
Another good one is the filmed Air France test flight, wherein a brand new Airbus makes a passby of a gathered crowd at too low an altitude, and ends up gliding straight into a forest at the end the runway. It disappears, as if swallowed by the dense brush, but shortly thereafter a fiery explosion arises from the treetops.

Unfortunately, Survival in the Sky has yet to make an appearance on DVD.