Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valley Girl and Sure Thing disc layouts

Valley Girl

Side A 16x9 with Special Features

Side B Standard with Special Features

The Sure Thing

Side A 16x9 and Standard

Side B Special Features

Why are they done different? It's weird in my opnion!
Old 08-07-03, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Both discs are DVD-14, meaning one side is dual layered.

For Valley Girl, There are far more features on the Widescreen side than on the Full Screen side. The FS side only has the audio commentary, triva track, and trailers.

My guess is that they couldn't fit the Widescreen, FS, and video commentary onto one side, so the FS got bumped over to the FS side.

For The Sure Thing, they don't have a video commentary sucking up space, so they can fit both versions of the film on one side, with the extras on the other side.

Valley Girl's video commentary is more than likely the reason for the difference.
Old 08-07-03, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I picked these up along with The Last American Virgin the other day. A quick check proved that LAV is open matte, and I've seen mention that The Sure Thing is as well. Haven't checked VG...does anyone know if it is open matte or P&S?
Old 08-07-03, 03:13 PM

I love the Valley Girl DVD. I watched it last night. The extras are awesome. It was my first time seeing the film widescreen. Excellent!
Old 08-08-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid
I picked these up along with The Last American Virgin the other day. A quick check proved that LAV is open matte, and I've seen mention that The Sure Thing is as well. Haven't checked VG...does anyone know if it is open matte or P&S?
I just want to make sure: "Last American Virgin" comes with both open-matte and OAR versions on the disc, right? I think that's what the box said, but given all the non-OAR discs MGM's been throwing out there, I want to make sure I'm not mistaken...
Old 08-08-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Walter Neff
I just want to make sure: "Last American Virgin" comes with both open-matte and OAR versions on the disc, right? I think that's what the box said, but given all the non-OAR discs MGM's been throwing out there, I want to make sure I'm not mistaken...
You are not mistaken, it has the OAR as well.

I bought all 3 of these discs, and I had actually never seen the films.

Valley Girl was excellent and the disc has some great bonus feautres, very satisfied.

Last American Virgin was hilarious and had one of the most honest endings I've ever seen, I really liked this movie.

The Sure Thing... I don't know why I haven't heard more about this film. I love "It happened One Night" so this movie's plot was right up my alley. It was brilliant. I've watched it three times since I got it yesterday (once with commentary)...I LOVE this movie... man oh man, so damn good.

MATT
Old 08-08-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mdc3000
The Sure Thing... I don't know why I haven't heard more about this film. I love "It happened One Night" so this movie's plot was right up my alley. It was brilliant. I've watched it three times since I got it yesterday (once with commentary)...I LOVE this movie... man oh man, so damn good.
How old are you? I graduated H.S. in 1985 and The Sure Thing was probably the #1 most quoted movie in my group of friends. An instant classic when it came out (actually, when it hit cable).

After checking for myself, Valley Girl is indeed open matte as well. Now I'm torn as to which way to watch...hmmm...maybe both!
Old 08-08-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Numanoid
How old are you? I graduated H.S. in 1985 and The Sure Thing was probably the #1 most quoted movie in my group of friends. An instant classic when it came out (actually, when it hit cable).
Well, I graduated high school in 1999, so I'm not totally surprised that it's not as popular...but with all the 80's movies that many of my friends enjoy, I was just surprised I hadn't heard more about this frigin' awesome flick.

MATT... aka Gary Cooper...but not the Gary Cooper that's dead.
Old 08-09-03, 01:55 AM
Banned

Originally posted by mdc3000
I picked it up tuesday, and it looks great. I owned it on VHS years ago, and saw it in the theater when it first came out, but I hadn't seen it in years. I think it sort of fell into a black hole for years. If you think that's a great film, check out Rob's first film This Is Spinal Tap - A poster for which can be seen in the Gibb's dorm room.