Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

A Nightmare on Elm Street box set - some questions.

Old 08-06-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The upcoming release of Freddy Vs Jason has sparked my interest in the Nightmare series, and I have a few questions about the box set.

-Is there only one R1 release of the set?

-It's a pretty old release - How is the a/v quality?

-With Freddy vs Jason coming soon, will there be another release of the box set that includes the new movie?

-Where can I get the best deal on it?

Thanks.

Last edited by caiman; 08-06-03 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-06-03, 03:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was at Best Buy last night looking at the box set. I'm hoping that they'll put it on sale for the Freddy vs Jason release, because there's no way I'm spending $104.99 on it.
Old 08-06-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There is a box set and individual releases, the only difference in between those is cover artwork. A/V quality is excellent for dvds that have been out for about 4 years. I seriously doubt they will release the box set again just to add the new movie to it. I say get it now!!! This was the set that made me buy a dvd player in the first place.
Old 08-06-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wal-Mart has it for $69.99, or at least the one in my area.

Personally, I got mine for free on one of those free DVD sites.
Old 08-06-03, 04:15 PM
Banned

I've owned this set since the day it was released and love it. The A/V quality is fine, not reference quality but good nonetheless especially considering when it is released. It is VERY watchable. I'm still wishing there was a similar Friday the 13th box set with special editions of all of the Paramount owned films in the series included. I'm thinking they'll make one of those eventually and when they do I can get it for free just like Brent!
Old 08-06-03, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by purplechoe
There is a box set and individual releases, the only difference in between those is cover artwork.
They're basically the same, but there actually are some differences between the boxset and the individual releases. First, the boxset discs all have only widescreen transfers, but the individual discs have both widescreen and "full frame" transfers. Second, the boxset disc for Freddy's Dead gives the option of watching either the 3-D ending (with the provided glasses) or the flat version, but the individual DVD only has the flat version.

DJ
Old 08-06-03, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by djtoell
They're basically the same, but there actually are some differences between the boxset and the individual releases. First, the boxset discs all have only widescreen transfers, but the individual discs have both widescreen and "full frame" transfers. Second, the boxset disc for Freddy's Dead gives the option of watching either the 3-D ending (with the provided glasses) or the flat version, but the individual DVD only has the flat version.

DJ
Cool. I think that just sealed the deal for me. Now I just need to find the cheapest place for it. DDD has it for $69.22 shipped. Anyone seen anything better?
Old 08-06-03, 09:26 PM

Wal*Mart has this for only $65
Old 08-06-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Note that most of the films are cut and the deleted scenes are not included.
Old 08-06-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have it and love it. The quality is great for its time. I dont think it would look much better if the redid them nowadays. I have seen it at walmart for the mid $60's and I saw it at a local record shop on clearance for $49.99 one time.
Old 08-07-03, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by caiman
I just need to find the cheapest place for it... Anyone seen anything better?

Best place to ask is here

zeek

edit: hey... that's not the link I orinally added!!!
I inserted www dvd price search dot com

Last edited by zeek; 08-07-03 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-07-03, 05:46 PM
Banned

yeah i rented part 4 a few weeks ago and im still thinking about buying this hell ill buy it for 60-70 bucks it coems with 7 movies.
Old 08-07-03, 08:22 PM

It usually ranges between $60-85. And I highly doubt they'll put out a new box for Freddy vs. Jason.
Old 08-07-03, 09:39 PM

Freddy's Dead 3-D ending?

Hey, My friends a huge fan of this box set and he showed me this DVD but I could not tell the difference with the glasses.
quote:

The box set disc for Freddy's Dead gives the option of watching either the 3-D ending (with the provided glasses) or the flat version.
Where is this option so I can tell my friend where it is. I watched this quickly because I was heading out the door. My friend set this up and I am wondering if he just watched the flat version with the glasses? wondering if it's an option in the menu and if it is, where?

I watched it about a year ago, and I think I remember reading on the insert that some think flashes but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated ...BMatt

P.S. This is one of the friends favorite box sets, you should rush out and buy it if you love the series.

- Can you notice a big difference with the glasses?

* I can't wait for Paramount to release a Friday the 13th box set SE I think it may be late next year or early 2005, Region 2 has a special edition coming out on the first movie with commentary and documentary but there's no word if it's the same as the region 3 DVD what has extended scenes in the movie (Still not the complete Uncut movie, what I have read in posts).
Old 08-08-03, 12:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I love to bitch about this constantly, but I am still confused as to why New Line wasn't able to find or use the unrated print of "Dream Child" for the DVD edition for the Box set?!
Old 08-08-03, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by Giles
I love to bitch about this constantly, but I am still confused as to why New Line wasn't able to find or use the unrated print of "Dream Child" for the DVD edition for the Box set?!
Eh?
Old 08-08-03, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by Chris Lanphear
Eh?
everytime someone brings up the issue of the "Nightmare" Box set, I always have to gripe that devote fans know that they were duped when the DVD edition of "Dream Child" was the R-rated cut of the film and not the unrated cut of the film that is available on VHS.
Old 08-08-03, 12:49 AM

I didn't realize the unrated cut was available on VHS. Are there huge differences?
Old 08-08-03, 12:52 AM

a little, havent seen the unrated cut in awhile but this is what is missing from the R-rated cut:

"Unrated video version features about a minute of extra gore that was cut from the R-rated theatrical release. Scenes that were cut in the R-rated version: when the girl is force fed her own guts, and when the motorcycle "fuses" with the rider's body." (from IMDB)
Old 08-08-03, 12:55 AM

Hmm, I'd love to see the unrated cut.
Old 08-08-03, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by Chris Lanphear
Hmm, I'd love to see the unrated cut.
wow, around the third time reading this post and I finally noticed you work for Troma, way cool.
Old 08-08-03, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

zeek - I feel your pain. There are some moderators on this board who like to do stealth editing and change member's posts without indicating that they have been changed. I have no problem with allowing moderators to fix/edit my posts if I have violated the rules, but they damn well better indicate that the post now contains information from them and not me.

I suppose because they have a version of that functionality here, the powers that be decided we are no longer allowed to acknowledge the existence of that original site.