Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Has anyone seen this?!?!?!?! (Panic Room & Blockbuster news)

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-03, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read an article fm DVDangle (dvdangle.com) and in their editorial page, it states two news that had me excited and infuriated me right after:

"Prior raised eyebrows with news relating to his current work on Columbia's soon-to-be-completed Panic Room two-disc special edition. He announced that Blockbuster apparently has a mandate on multi-disc sets that no menu page should refer to features that are on another disc.

That way, Blockbuster has the option of renting each disc separately, Prior believed. Hettrick pointed out that certain Buena Vista animated releases violate that mandate, leading one to assume that if Big Blue does indeed give such a mandate to studios, it is on a title-by-title basis."

David Prior was in the VSDA stating that a Panic Room Special Edition is now in process. And that Blockbuster is planning to rent out 2-disc sp.editions dvds separately, basically charging the customer for the movie and for the extras on the other disc.
Old 08-01-03, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sadly, the otherwise great NetFlix has paved the way for just this sort of lunacy. You are renting A MOVIE, not A DISC, at least where I stand. I mean, I can understand sequels or episodic TV programs being split up like that(though not once they are finsihed with the new release run), but I"m really going to spend 13.50 to rent the 3 disc Black Hawk Down? As if there weren't enough reasons to say "F--k Blockbuster". Video on Demand can't get here fast enough and sink that blue and gold turd and let it lie where all the once great mom and pop shops lie. Burn in hell Blockbuster.
Old 08-01-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yup, that sound like BB all right. one more reason to not rent movies there.
Old 08-01-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So if someone rents Gangs of New York or Lord of the Rings EE which movies are on two discs, will they have to pay twice as much?
Old 08-01-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good thing I don't rent at Blockbuster.

Great news on Panic Room though, hopefully it'll be as good as Fight Club quality.
Old 08-01-03, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
Sadly, the otherwise great NetFlix has paved the way for just this sort of lunacy. You are renting A MOVIE, not A DISC, at least where I stand. I mean, I can understand sequels or episodic TV programs being split up like that(though not once they are finsihed with the new release run), but I"m really going to spend 13.50 to rent the 3 disc Black Hawk Down?
I found this out the hard way. Last summer I decided I wanted to see Lawrence of Arabia, since I had never seen it before. So I put it on my list at Netflix, recieved it, watched it until I got to the end of theend... the first disc!! I had no idea the movie was split up over two discs and that they would only send me the first one, so I had to wait 4 days to see part two.

It will be interesting to see how Blockbuster treats releases like Arabia and LOTR.
Old 08-01-03, 07:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to say the first time Netflix did this is bugged me but I've kind of gotten used to it. Esp when you can plan it out and get both disks at the same time. Alternatively I have also just picked up the bonus disk on a couple of them (esp rereleases that add a 2nd DVD) w/o bothering w/ the first one again. I don't think I would bother w/ BB though if they required two seperate rentals.
Old 08-01-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's about damn time we got that Panic Room: SE, I am a fan of Fincher's films and his commentarys are always good, I hope this one lives up to the previous ones..

Oh and....well..BlockBuster sucks.
Old 08-01-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Why not produce a 2-disc set for retail, and a DVD-18 just for Blockbuster? They could even kiss their behinds and encode the Blockbuster logo in the DVD menu.
Old 08-01-03, 08:12 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Drexl
Why not produce a 2-disc set for retail, and a DVD-18 just for Blockbuster? They could even kiss their behinds and encode the Blockbuster logo in the DVD menu.
Umm no. How about people just stop renting from Blockbuster?
Old 08-01-03, 08:20 PM
Uber Member

I think I must have one of the few good Blockbuster stores in the nation...my BB had the 6 disc 24 tv series available as a single rental. They glued a bunch of double cases together. Didn't make too much sense when it was a 2 day rental (new release) but it became a one week rental pretty quickly.

Regardless, it could be that they just don't want to have to deal with a second disc. So they'll only make disc one available and with no notes on the DVD menus, no one will be asking them questions about it.

I still think it sucks, but I usually only have time to watch the movie before the DVDs due back, and if I really like a movie (enough to want to go through a whole second disc of extras) then I'll probably end up buying it anyway.

What I'd be more concerned about is if studios took this as a hint that producing so many extras is a waste of money and time and start doing less. That would suck.
Old 08-01-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i rent 2 discers there all the time without any trouble.
Old 08-01-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
i rent 2 discers there all the time without any trouble.
I took it as a reference to a future trend.
Old 08-01-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Blockbuster - has any company ever found more ways to insult and annoy those very people who otherwise would have become their biggest customers?
Old 08-01-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I rarely, if ever, rent new releases from them anyway. If I want to rent a new title like The Two Towers, the luxury of being able to watch the second disc (which obviously should be included in the price) pales in comparison to my God-given right to watch the movie in its OAR. Jeez.

K
Old 08-01-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
LOL I love Ballbuster. I can just picture the look on people's faces when they go to rent a 2-disc set and pay $5 for just the movie. Considering an average new release is $16 at Circuit City, for $6 more you can own the dvd forever.

Isn't something like this going on in the UK? I know they have rental discs, with usually include little to no extras. I could be confusing this with something else of course.

Dean
Old 08-01-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I think it's stupid for Blockbuster to do this (I don't rent there anyhow), and I don't like Blockbuster telling the studios how to make there DVDs, I will say this: I hate when features from Disc 2 of a two-DVD set are listed on Disc 1 and vice versa. I can't standing clicking on a feature and having the disc tell me "Please insert Disc 2 for this feature." If I have a disc in my player and don't see some particular feature listed, I can usually figure out that it's on the other disc. Give me some credit. If the feature's on the disc I have in the player, list it on the menu. If it's not on the disc I have in, don't list it. Simple as that.

This must be the first time I've ever agreed with a Blockbuster policy. For completely different reasons from theirs though, of course.
Old 08-02-03, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think that listing "Special Features on Disc 2" on the first disc is kinda stupid. I hope J6P doesnt think that other disc is a collectable movie coaster of something.
Old 08-02-03, 07:55 AM

I don't think BB's request to stop listing disc 2 features on disc 1 is particularly outrageous. What I do not like, however, is that BB will consider renting 2-disc movies as 2 separate rentals. After a short time, people will realize that it's cheaper to just go see the flick in theaters, rather than pay $10 to rent it. I don't think that strategy will fly for BB. Also, I do not like renting DVDs at all, mainly because of the horrid condition I find most discs in. I just rented "Phone Booth." The film's only been out a couple of weeks, yet the disc was covered in fingerprints, patchy areas and many scratches. Combine all that with the ongoing DVD rot issue, and I think BB will have major headaches in regards to their DVD renting. At this point, I just see whatever I want in theaters, and then buy whatever I liked best. I see a movie a week in theaters.
Old 08-02-03, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Tarnower
I don't think BB's request to stop listing disc 2 features on disc 1 is particularly outrageous. What I do not like, however, is that BB will consider renting 2-disc movies as 2 separate rentals. After a short time, people will realize that it's cheaper to just go see the flick in theaters, rather than pay $10 to rent it.
Yeah, except by the time they're at Blockbuster, the movie is already out on DVD, therefore most likely not still in the theatres. Also, no long lines and expensive refreshments. Oh, yeah, and no extra features.

Let them try and charge for each disc. I don't plan on renting from them in the future anyway. If there's anything I want to see, I have a Hollywood Video less than a mile from me, and 99 cent coupons make the deal even sweeter. Oh, yeah, they actually carry widescreen movies. Blockbuster can suck it.

K
Old 08-02-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I doubt the average person will rent the features disc...

Good news on Panic Room. Hope it's as packed as Fight Club or Se7en.
Old 08-02-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great news about the Panic Room SE. I've held off on buying the current one, but I was starting to fold. Hopefully it's worth the wait.

Oh, and Blockbuster can just die.
Old 08-02-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was actually looking at some used copies of Panic Room at my local CD World and wondering if I should just pick it up, cuz "who knows when they'll release a Special Edition, if at all". Glad to know it's not only in-the-works, but apparently also soon-to-be-completed. Can't wait.

K
Old 08-02-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
I was actually looking at some used copies of Panic Room at my local CD World and wondering if I should just pick it up, cuz "who knows when they'll release a Special Edition, if at all". Glad to know it's not only in-the-works, but apparently also soon-to-be-completed. Can't wait.

K
I bought it first day. I don't really regret it, since I enjoyed it. The case sucks though.