Ban Cardboard for DVD Covers!!!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-03, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who agrees with me? Cardboard is the worst medium ever to encase 'permanent' media. Even if our discs look perfect now, think long term: eventually they'll look like the faded, worn out dustcovers in a second-hand shop.

Let's get the damn stuff banned. Constant wear and it all starts to fall apart. So many special editions released in flimsy packaging. And that's even before I get started on 'Snappers'.

Amaray and Alpha rule. Gradually I'm replacing all my cardboard covers from http://www.dvdcoverart.com/dvdcoverart/, but if they were like that in the first place I wouldn't have to outlay all this extra cash. GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

My heart sinks everytime a new cardboard edition gets delivered...Why do they do it?

Last edited by KineKudos; 07-26-03 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-26-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the cardboard cases. I take good care of mine, they all look brand new.

I say keep them.
Old 07-26-03, 11:26 AM
Banned

Are you talking about discs like Fight Club, Boogie Nights, True Romance, Citizen Kane and other 2-disc cardboard covers? Because if you are I have to totally DISAGREE. The cardboard cases Warner, New Line and Fox have used for their SE DVDs are perfect. They are tons better than the amaray cases. Now snapper cases are a different story.
Old 07-26-03, 11:30 AM

I wouldn't go quite that far. Cardboard case can be good if it's done properly like the Lotr: Fotr EE. Just ban flimsy packaging.
Old 07-26-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What are you doing with your cardboard cases that leads to their demise? Unless your using em to help with the short leg on the coffee table your cardboard cases should be fine.
Old 07-26-03, 12:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by lesterlong
Are you talking about discs like Fight Club, Boogie Nights, True Romance, Citizen Kane and other 2-disc cardboard covers? Because if you are I have to totally DISAGREE. The cardboard cases Warner, New Line and Fox have used for their SE DVDs are perfect. They are tons better than the amaray cases. Now snapper cases are a different story.
Total agreement here. The cardboard digipack cases make DVD's feel of a higher quality, that they are something special. Plus they're great to look at, though not always to use. I'm sorry I can't say the same for the cheap snapper-crappers, but whatcha gonna do?
Old 07-26-03, 01:09 PM

The Pulp Fiction cardboard case broke for me. Other than that, they are all in perfect condition.
Old 07-26-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, some cardboard cases are nice... other than the x-files set, LotR: FotR: EE is one of the best looking dvds Ive ever bought... and its cardboard. Fight Club was good too. Full Metal Jacket, Gettysburg etc on the other hand... those types of cases suck...

j
Old 07-26-03, 01:48 PM

I like the cardboard 2-disc cases, but they take up too much room (this is why I also prefer the double amaray to the double alpha).

What I want is a shift to Thin Pack cases that are only 6mm thick.
Old 07-26-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by woemcats

What I want is a shift to Thin Pack cases that are only 6mm thick.
I think Sony may be trying these for Columbia releases.
Old 07-26-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cardboard packaging a la Citizen Kane, LOTR, Pulp Fiction, etc. = Good

Cardboard packaging a la E.T., Close Encounters, Panic Room, etc. = Bad
Old 07-26-03, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
What are you doing with your cardboard cases that leads to their demise? Unless your using em to help with the short leg on the coffee table your cardboard cases should be fine.
The answer to this is: I watch my discs over and over and these - admittedly - asthetically pleasing packages are now showing wear and tear. I look after my discs more than most but such non-resilient material is not suitable for encasing our prized possessions. Watch as your X-Files packaging frays and tatters with repeat usage. Opening, closing, unfolding, sliding will inevitably lead to erosion.

Pretty? Yes. But hard wearing? Hell...NO!

Plastic can be pretty too. With a little imagination.
Old 07-26-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by KineKudos
The answer to this is: I watch my discs over and over and these - admittedly - asthetically pleasing packages are now showing wear and tear. I look after my discs more than most but such non-resilient material is not suitable for encasing our prized possessions. Watch as your X-Files packaging frays and tatters with repeat usage. Opening, closing, unfolding, sliding will inevitably lead to erosion.

Pretty? Yes. But hard wearing? Hell...NO!

Plastic can be pretty too. With a little imagination.
I agree. My X-Files S1 that I bought on release day is worn to hell. After opening it almost every weekend, or now about once every 2 months, I am afraid the next time I open it, it'll crumble in my hands.
Old 07-26-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I dont mind these at all. no problems...and if I take proper care of them...there will be no problem in the future either. I have the same in vinyl LP's...some I bought in 1969....and they still look NEW. just put this in the pot....mixed in with all the I hate snappers and I hate big headed coverart threads.

anyway...I plan in advance to help add on years to cases. each dvd I have has had a special/custom slip sleave/cover made for it.....similar to the plastic sleeves you could buy for LP's...10 for a buck.

if you want to ban something....make it poor quality control in disc manufacturing...your collection will live even longer.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 07-26-03 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-26-03, 04:29 PM

I really dislike the carboard cases too. I keep my collection organized alphabetically and the cardboard cases just don't go well with the keepsake cases due to size differences in height and depth. So, I keep all the keepsake cases alphabetized in one rack and all the cardboards in the other. Yeah, I have to do two scans of my collection to find a movie I want to watch but at least it looks neat and organized.
Old 07-26-03, 05:15 PM

what i don't understand is why they cannot decide on a standard for 1 to n discs... all these different cases are rather annoying. its much worse than cd's and vhs.
Old 07-26-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Digipaks and snappers bad. Amarays good.
Old 07-26-03, 07:52 PM
Cool New Member

i think a lot of people liked to be spoiled, i care about the movie, not the packaging

for instance, they could release OVER THE EDGE in a laffy taffy textured packaged, that distorted the artwork, and sticks to the dvd, but as long as i could see the film i'd be happy

love your snappers
Old 07-27-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't had any problems with cardboard cases yet, but when I do, I won't think of it as signs of wear and tear but rather signs of love and affection.
Old 07-27-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the model building hobby, this is referred to as 'weathering'. Usually a good thing.
Old 07-27-03, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love digipaks, myself. I'd like to 'upgrade' my copies of Independence Day and the Abyss to the newer style cases.
Old 07-27-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I fully enjoy the variety and have no desire for the current packaging systems to change at all.
Old 07-27-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked the digipacks too. It is true that they could get damaged easily, but if you treat them properly, they won't be any problem.
Old 07-27-03, 08:02 PM

Don't forget about the cardboard crap that Pearl Harbor Vista Series came out in. that has got the be the all time worst packaging EVER!! I had to buy 2 double alphas to prevent further scratches and nicks on the DVDs.

Now with regards to snappers, I guess I'm the lucky ones but had very few problems with floater as compared to regular amarays, alpha and digipacks. Personally I'd prefer snappers over floaters any day.
Old 07-28-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by gutwrencher
I dont mind these at all. no problems...and if I take proper care of them...there will be no problem in the future either. I have the same in vinyl LP's...some I bought in 1969....and they still look NEW.
Same here. Take care of the cardboard and it will always look good. I also have LP's going back to the 60's, and the cardboard covers look as good as always. Keep the cardboard out of direct sunlight to avoid fading, shelve them with other cardboard covers loosely with a little breathing room and handle them gently. They should last a nice long life.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.