Community
Search

Oz season 3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-03, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oz season 3?

Any info on Season 3 of Oz? It seems like it's been a while since 2 was released..
Old 07-26-03, 02:27 PM

my friend mentioned something to me about november, but then again, he knows nothing about dvds and i don't think i can trust the info. season three i thought was kinda disappointing, season 4 was much better so i can't wait for that
Old 07-26-03, 02:28 PM

If we're lucky, we get one season a year. The series is over, why not just release the rest of the seasons a few months apart?
Old 07-26-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HBO series are released 1 per year, this is theirrule of thumb they have been following. Maybe soon they'll wake up and smell the coffee. At this rate, HD-DVD and blue-laser-DVD real be in mainstrem by the time they release season 4. Release them all already you morons.
Old 07-26-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by yeek
If we're lucky, we get one season a year. The series is over, why not just release the rest of the seasons a few months apart?
screw that...just put'em all in a big fat, boxed up set...and I'll buy it on day 1.
Old 07-26-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Exactly, its over, I understand like Sopranos being sold a little before the next season but other wise.......
Old 07-26-03, 08:52 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I noticed on HBO.com the other day that they have pulled OZ from it's main video section.

I have a horrible feeling that my season 1&2 are going to sit there alone for good.
Old 07-26-03, 09:12 PM
Defunct Account

Originally posted by SMART-ASS
At this rate, HD-DVD and blue-laser-DVD real be in mainstrem by the time they release season 4.
HD-DVD? I'll believe it when I see it. I predict more years of fighting before it'll see the light of day.

Remember, TV stations will be forced to broadcasting in HDTV by 2002. (At least some of the time.) So it will be at least that lon....oh wait. That never got implemented. Now its 2005. But that's for sure this time right?

I hope HD-DVD arrives very soon, but I've been hearing that HDTV is just around the corner since the late 80's. I've seen this all before.

-Videophile
Old 07-26-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by videophile
HD-DVD? I'll believe it when I see it. I predict more years of fighting before it'll see the light of day.

Remember, TV stations will be forced to broadcasting in HDTV by 2002. (At least some of the time.) So it will be at least that lon....oh wait. That never got implemented. Now its 2005. But that's for sure this time right?

I hope HD-DVD arrives very soon, but I've been hearing that HDTV is just around the corner since the late 80's. I've seen this all before.

-Videophile
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but HDTV is here... and with trhe rate at which technology is advancing, we will have it in less than 3 years. Maybe at a hefty price, but it is coming.
Old 07-26-03, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by SMART-ASS
HBO series are released 1 per year, this is theirrule of thumb they have been following. Maybe soon they'll wake up and smell the coffee. At this rate, HD-DVD and blue-laser-DVD real be in mainstrem by the time they release season 4. Release them all already you morons.
It's a bit off the topic, but what is blue-laser-DVD? and what's the difference between HD-DVD and say, Superbit?

pardon my ignorance!
Old 07-26-03, 11:47 PM

HD-DVD is true 1080i, while DVDs currently, even Superbit DVDs are 480p.
Old 07-27-03, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by Romero
I noticed on HBO.com the other day that they have pulled OZ from it's main video section.

I have a horrible feeling that my season 1&2 are going to sit there alone for good.

Season 2 came out in January. I get the sense that it didn't sell very well. Season 1 came out at a time before TV sets became all the rage, and it sold fairly well. But S2 hit at a time when a gazillion other TV sets were hitting the shelves, and I'm afraid Oz got lost in the crowd. After all, it was a very pricey eight episodes, selling for more than most 22-episode season sets sell for.

I have a feeling that the rest of the Oz seasons will go the way of post-S1 Larry Sanders and Mary Tyler Moore.
Old 07-27-03, 01:37 PM

Oh I hope not...how can they start it off without finishing them? There's only a few seasons anyway...HBO can't just leave OZ hanging like that. I would be VERY upset if HBO should decide to shelve the remaining seasons...as would a lot of other fans.

I like OZ ten times better than Sopranos even....
Old 07-27-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It also doesn't help that one season of Oz costs around $40-60 and is only 3 discs while season sets of M*A*S*H and other shows are 3 discs and cost $20 - $30.
Old 07-27-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
It also doesn't help that one season of Oz costs around $40-60 and is only 3 discs while season sets of M*A*S*H and other shows are 3 discs and cost $20 - $30.

Yeah - they are expensive. I held off buying them until thanks to a 10 off 50 coupon at half.com, I bought them both brand new for $53 total.

They better keep putting them out. I didn't start watching Oz until mid-way through Season 4 or so.
Old 07-27-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I held out for a long time because of the expense and because I was wondering whether or not HBO would release future box sets. I really don't see the point in not releasing the remaining seasons. I say strip 'em down to the bare essentials if necessary. Just release them.

I just picked up the first two seasons from Suncoast a month ago or so due to their pricing error. Got both seasons for $16 each.
Old 07-27-03, 03:39 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

HBO does quite a few strange things. If it is not in production at this very moment they disregard the series. Tales from the Crypt for example. I have a strong suspicion that if they were to ever release the season sets it would make a killing.

Will we ever see it? At this point I would say no. Just as I doubt I will ever finish seeing oz.

Btw the link to see that they have pulled oz from their main video line is http://www.hbo.com/screening/series.shtml

Notice oz is not mentioned there. You have to go to the OZ section to see mention of the DVD's.
Old 07-27-03, 11:36 PM

I hope they don't neglect releasing Seasons 3 and 4. I just finished watching the first two seasons and am totally hooked. I have to know what happens!
Old 07-27-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ya know, if HBO doesn't release the remaining sets, it only bolsters the case FOR Internet downloading.

I don't have HBO. I don't want HBO. The only thing I'd watch HBO for is The Sopranos (and Oz before it ended, of course). I had a slight interest in Oz, but I wasn't going to pay...$14.95 (?) a month for a premium pan 'n' scan channel to see one or two TV shows.

So I downloaded the first four episodes. That was enough to tell me that I wanted to see the rest of the season. I added the first two seasons to my wishlist and eventually bought them when they were cheap. (I had debated using a giftcard to Borders anyway.)

My point is if HBO doesn't release the remaining sets, I have half a mind to simply return the first two seasons unopened to a B&M store and download all six seasons for free. It'll take a while and I really don't want to watch sub-par rips, but if that's what I have to do... And some may say, "Well, you own the first two seasons so why not keep them?" Why? Because if HBO is going to treat fans of the show in that manner, I say screw 'em. They don't deserve the money.

Kinda like George Luca$ and the Star Wars bootlegs... People buy the boots now, but would gladly buy official releases if they were released. However, some people would still buy the original version boots if Luca$ only releases the Special Edition versions. So if HBO doesn't release all six seasons, I'll probably simply watch "illegal" copies and return my two sets. Pisses me off...
Old 07-27-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They better release the sets or I will be pissed. Anyone have an e-mail address for someone in HBO's home video department?
Old 07-28-03, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by chente
I hope they don't neglect releasing Seasons 3 and 4. I just finished watching the first two seasons and am totally hooked. I have to know what happens!
Me too. I don't have HBO, so I rely on the DVDs to see these programs.
Old 07-28-03, 09:04 AM

I completely agree that the 3rd season was the worst of the 6, but it needs to be released, along with all the others!!!!!

I loved this show, even more than the Sopranos (which, IMHO, has gone straight downhill since the 2nd season)!
Old 07-28-03, 02:57 PM

Like I said before, I like OZ ten times better than Sopranos...and the funny thing is a lot of my friends do too...the only problem was that most have never been exposed to OZ...HBO markets the heck out of Sopranos( and deservedly so) but leaves OZ to a niche/cult following...But anytime I've let someone borrow my season 1 OZ, they come back hungry for more...and they almost always say, "damn, that's an awesome show...I like it even better than sopranos..." and then they proceed to tell me the reasons why...OZ rules and HBO better not drop the ball on this one...I mean, how common is it for a company to stop releasing subsequent seasons (especially in regards to a finite series) when they have already started? I have faith HBO will finish up OZ...they can't afford not to!

Hopefully this thread will get their attention too!!
Old 07-28-03, 04:05 PM

HBO needs to wake up and realize this is not one of their premimum shows, and it cannot carry a premium price tag. People will pay 80-90 dollars for Sopranos, because it can be argued that it is the best show on TV today.(and it has 5 more episodes) Sex in the City sells well because it is popular, and only costs 30-40 dollars.
Let's be honest: there is not going to be a large audience willing to pay 60 dollars for 8 episodes of male rape. (I know there is much more to this series, but that seems to be the common thoughts on the show) I bought Season One, blindly. I thought it was okay, but there is no way Ill pay 60 dollars for another 8 episodes. I think that could explain the solid sales of season one vs. the poor ones for season two.

(BTW, Tales from the Crypt season sets would be cool as hell. I don,t know how many episodes there were per season, but I would pay a premimum price for them)
Old 07-28-03, 05:41 PM

There are six seasons? Damn. At this rate, it will be 4 years until I see all the episodes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.