Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

How many Criterion laserdiscs were there?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-03, 05:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know off hand how many LDs Criterion released before the death of them? I was curious to see a number in terms of relating it to how many Criterion DVDs there are.
Old 07-25-03, 05:05 PM
Banned

Nevermind. I found it. 388 Criterion laserdiscs. Wow.
Old 07-25-03, 06:03 PM

For anyone who is curious, here is the full list. What a shame that Criterion will never be able to release even half of these on DVD (many studios which were willing to sell rights to their films for the laserdisc market would rather produce their own releases for the DVD market: this includes Warner, MGM/UA, Columbia Tristar, Paramount, etc.).
Old 07-25-03, 06:12 PM
Banned

Yeah, its not so bad about the movies that got got great treatment from other companies like Boogie Nights and Seven but movies such as Chungking Express, Fellini Satryricon, Annie Hall, and lots of others that Criterion could do tons better.
Old 07-25-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, the number of films on LD by criterion will sadly never make it to dvd in that format simply because of the whole marketing and ease of production for a dvd opposed to a LD. some great stuff there.. not to mention the extra's are Criterion Exclusive.. so unless the studio's are willing to buy it back.. they will only have those extra's on the LD.
Old 07-25-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lesterlong
Yeah, its not so bad about the movies that got got great treatment from other companies like Boogie Nights and Seven but movies such as Chungking Express, Fellini Satryricon, Annie Hall, and lots of others that Criterion could do tons better.
But Criterion didn't do much with those titles when they had the chance on laserdisc, anyway. Chungking Express had no extras, Fellini Satyricon basically only had a BBC-produced documentary which Criterion had no part in creating, and Annie Hall had no extras. While it's possible that they would've done more for these titles on DVD, it's not exactly guaranteed. This is especially true for Annie Hall, as I doubt that Woody Allen would suddenly be open to extra features.

DJ
Old 07-25-03, 06:45 PM
Suspended

I don't remember the last Woody Allen DVD w/ extras on it. You don't need a commentary soundtrack on it either 'cause Woody talks directly to the audience half of the time anyway. I don't give a rat's ass if Woody Allen's movies come w/ stereo soundtrack. Although I would like them to have better picture quality.