DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   any Halloween 25th Anniversary reviews? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/307328-any-halloween-25th-anniversary-reviews.html)

RussG 07-25-03 12:53 PM

any Halloween 25th Anniversary reviews?

Has anyone read any reviews of the 25th Anniversary Edition of Halloween? I curious about the transfer because I've heard bad things about the new "Divimax" process that Anchor Bay is now using.

Thanks in advance!!

Gordon McMurphy 07-25-03 01:52 PM

I, too am eagerly anticipating this exciting new release!

Reviews will probably be up early next week - which will be a VERY busy week for the forthcoming (August 5th/12th) glut of incredible DVDs!

What "bad things" have you heard about DiviMax? I have read nothing but great reviews of MANHUNTER. DAY OF THE DEAD has audio dubbing anomolies, but that is not related to the DiviMax process, which is basically just a 1080i Hi-Def transferig process that is down-converted to standard def. Most transfer are 1080 Hi-Def these days - Anchor just seem to want to make a big deal about their own conversion to Hi-Def.

Gordy

mlemmond 07-25-03 02:00 PM

I have the new Manhunter which is in DiviMax and it is great! I have no reason to believe this new version of Halloween will be anything less than awesome!

DavidH 07-25-03 03:55 PM

The current remastered/restored transfer of Halloween looks great. I doubt it will look any better.

demonio 07-25-03 04:47 PM

alls I can say is the new cover art sucks ass

evenswr 07-25-03 05:13 PM

Originally posted by demonio
alls I can say is the new cover art sucks ass
Ewww...That isn't very good, is it?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

danol 07-25-03 06:10 PM

Sheesh how many Halloweens are we to have the last being the scream queen, in her rocking chair. Michael Meyers must be turning over in his graves (plural). LOL

I have the original in anamorhic and 5.1 traded H20, traded Halloween-Resurrection
I am waiting for Soylent Green, The Omega Man and a few others due out 8/05 and Where Eagles Dare 9/02.

demonio 07-25-03 06:43 PM

we got like 5 or 6 different Halloween discs yet not 1 Terror Train......theres something wrong with that.

David Copperfield should make all the new Halloween discs dissapear!!

RussG 07-26-03 06:36 AM

What "bad things" have you heard about DiviMax?
DVDFile's review of the new Manhunter disc describes Divimax's purpose as adding " tons of artificial edge enhancement to the picture. Many scenes in the movie are now burdened by thick and distracting edge halos, much worse than anything on their previous THX-certified release of the film's Theatrical Cut."

Don't get me wrong, I love transfer of the Halloween 2-disc LE but am curious about how this transfer looks.

ILSA 07-31-03 09:35 PM

Ok, at last, here´s DVdfile´s review of the disc:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...oween_25ae.htm

According to the reviewer over there, it´s sort of a mixed bag.
The picture is sharper and cleaner than previous DVD releases but he had some major issues with the color timing of the transfer.

ILSA

Robert 07-31-03 09:46 PM

After reading DVDfile's review, I'm sticking with my LE and passing on this new 2 disc set. I believe that Anchor Bay purposely altered the picture quality, making it look more crisp and defined, so it would be more soothing to the eye of <b>Joe Sixpack</b>

BlackBeauty92 07-31-03 09:53 PM

aw, damn it!

i was gonna get this (missed out the previous Limited Edition)

:mad:

bboisvert 07-31-03 10:07 PM

Wow, did you see those screenshot comparisons? The last 3 aren't all that bad. But that first one... Damn!

Fed-Ex Pope 07-31-03 10:09 PM

This set sounds pretty crappy...If it wasn't coming out in August (the busiest month for videogames and DVDs ever? Only last November can even compare) I might get it, but it just got pushed into my "maybe I'll get it someday" category.

Adrenaline 07-31-03 10:19 PM

oh well, I'll just get the 2 disc set from CH.

Rammsteinfan 08-01-03 12:38 AM

I was holding off waiting for another release before buying a copy ... maybe it will hit the sub $10 bin fast...?

Adrenaline 08-01-03 12:39 AM

Originally posted by Rammsteinfan
I was holding off waiting for another release before buying a copy ... maybe it will hit the sub $10 bin fast...?
The older Special Limited Edition has both versions of the film, that'd be the way to go

Feathers McGraw 08-01-03 01:22 AM

Originally posted by bboisvert
Wow, did you see those screenshot comparisons? The last 3 aren't all that bad. But that first one... Damn!
I'm certainly no expert on Halloween, but isn't it the case that the new film is correct, and the original film is off?

The third screen shot, (the street scene) has the new one looking proper to me. The grass on the right hand sidewalk is green, the trees are green, the bushes are green. The old one has brown grass, washed out trees etc.

meritocracy 08-01-03 01:46 AM

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw
I'm certainly no expert on Halloween, but isn't it the case that the new film is correct, and the original film is off?

The third screen shot, (the street scene) has the new one looking proper to me. The grass on the right hand sidewalk is green, the trees are green, the bushes are green. The old one has brown grass, washed out trees etc.

No, you couldn't be more wrong. As the review specifically states, the previous LE's transfer had been supervised by DP Dean Cundey. The lighting and filters used to obtain those shots were most certainly intentional and sadly, from the looks of those newly released screenshots, the films original look and feel seem to be utterly lost on this release. I'll stick with the previous LE and be renting this one solely for the Commentary. Additionally, didn't Anchor Bay state earlier that the television footage would be included on the second disk as deleted scenes? I don't recall any statement by them that this footage was being dropped?

psycrow 08-01-03 02:30 AM

meritocracy, I believe AB did issue a statement a while back about dropping the TV footage from this release.

Halloween is my favorite movie, so I'm still buying this one. If AB decide to fix the problem, I'll have this on my shelf as a curiosity - a limited edition, of sorts (maybe that's stretching it, but hey...) - and buy the reissue. If they don't I'll still have the original limited edition for when I'm watching the movie, and the 25th for the supplements.

djtoell 08-01-03 03:02 AM

The film is called Halloween. It is set in the fall in Illinois. The grass, bushes, and trees should not be green. The correct color of the film is that which Cundey approved for the prior release. Someone at AB is asleep at the switch.

DJ

Hulkaburger 08-01-03 06:11 AM

Probably in the minority here, but looking at screenshots, I seem to remember Halloween looking more like the New set theatrically. Never noticed it before, but in screenshot #1, I personally think that door was originally white or cream, not as blue. Same for shots #2 & #4 less blue. Shot #3 - grass seems too green, but Carpenter & Debra Hill have talked about shooting Halloween out of season, and having to paint things & bring in the leaves I beleive. I have the LE and will keep it, but I am really anxious to see the New set.

highdef 08-01-03 06:15 AM

I'm glad that I own the "LIMITED EDITION" of this classic.
The transfer on the new one is awful! Look at the prior post referring to the dvdfile review. They totally screwed up the color! Not to mention that it DOES NOT have some of the features found on the "LIMITED EDITION." Anchorbay, thanks but NO THANKS! Give us THE 3-Disc SE of DAWN OF THE DEAD already!

badlieut 08-01-03 06:26 AM

Probably in the minority here, but looking at screenshots, I seem to remember Halloween looking more like the New set theatrically.
The cinematographer, Dean Cundey, approved the previous Halloween transfer so your memory is failing you here. This sucks. AB really f-ed up here.

AdamComic2 08-01-03 06:52 AM

I'm going to think very hard about what to do between now and Tuesday... worth $16? hmm....