DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Final Destination 2 Freeze/Skip? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/307206-final-destination-2-freeze-skip.html)

HotThang 07-24-03 09:24 PM

Final Destination 2 Freeze/Skip?

I did a search and didn't see this brought up so it is probably just my copy. Did anyone else have any problems with FD2? Mine froze up right when
Spoiler:
the main character "dies" and the policeman is about to break open the car window
and next thing I know, the credits are rolling! When I hit the rewind button I see most of what was missed but it freezes again before it gets back to the abovementioned scene. Anyone else have this issue? Guess I'll be takin' her back tomorrow. Fun movie BTW. :-)

Sam

Michael Corvin 07-24-03 10:02 PM

Clean your disc(was it rented?), and clean the player. I didn't experience anything but the usual layer switch, right around when the main character kisses the cop on the cheek.

pOpus 07-24-03 11:27 PM

Just finished watching it a few minutes ago, and had no problems at all.

HotThang 07-25-03 05:30 AM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Clean your disc(was it rented?), and clean the player. I didn't experience anything but the usual layer switch, right around when the main character kisses the cop on the cheek.
Yeah I got that freeze as well but it was sorta long. I bought it and there are no visible scratches/smears. I'll just return it today and see what happens with another copy. Thanks!

Sam

davejt1 07-25-03 08:55 AM

Originally posted by HotThang
Yeah I got that freeze as well but it was sorta long. I bought it and there are no visible scratches/smears. I'll just return it today and see what happens with another copy. Thanks!

Sam

Let us know what happens. Unfortunately, I'm guessing that you're going to find the exact same "problem" with another disc. My disc did the layer change at that exact same point, as well, and it sure felt long - more of a "hard" pause, I guess you could say. I'm thinking this is just the way the disc was put together (which is too bad).

HotThang 07-25-03 06:36 PM

It must have just been a bad copy because the new one works fine. I still think the layer change is a little long though.

Sam

FuzzyBallz 07-25-03 06:48 PM

Isolated case. Every patch has a few bad ones. Are you craving for attention? Let me check mine when I get home tonight.

HydroX2 07-28-03 09:20 PM

mine did this too.

FuzzyBallz 07-28-03 09:41 PM

Just finished watching the movie. No problem at all on my Sony stand alone. What player are you people running anyway?

Mammal 07-28-03 09:50 PM

On a Panasonic E30 the layer change was really sloppy.

Quake1028 07-29-03 07:11 PM

Anyone else having trouble? My brother has gone through 2 copies now, and he says it skips around the hospital scene. I haven't gotten a chance to watch mine yet, but I wan't to see if this is a widespread thing.

MasterofDVD 07-29-03 07:24 PM

Normally my Sony has very little problems with layer changes but this one was a bit rougher.

It didn't skip ahead but it was a long pause.

zeek 07-29-03 08:52 PM

Sony DVP-S550D

I didn't have any problems with this disc on my Sony DVP-S550D, however the layer change was very long...

zeek

Furio 07-30-03 07:41 AM

Mine froze up when they were using the jaws of life on the car with the trapped girl.

Movie_Man 07-30-03 11:50 AM

I've never even heard of this movie. You would think they would try to advertise it or something. Maybe if they had some really annoying ads that were thrust upon you when you visit some DVD related web sites.

cheapskate 07-30-03 02:02 PM

Originally posted by Movie_Man
I've never even heard of this movie. You would think they would try to advertise it or something. Maybe if they had some really annoying ads that were thrust upon you when you visit some DVD related web sites.
Yeah... as if :p

KingSmoth 07-30-03 03:26 PM

On my PS2 it's just a pause, but on my friends Zenith(don't know model #), it completely skips through to
Spoiler:
after she's been pulled out of the van

mikewendt 07-30-03 08:11 PM

No problems here

eedoon 07-31-03 04:28 AM

No problems at all.

flixtime 08-02-03 08:41 AM

I had problems with both a Toshiba SD-1200 and a Toshiba SD-1700.

On the 1200 it freezes at counter 1:19:58 (layer switch? when character kisses cop) and also at counter 1:25:23 (end credits).

On the 1700 it also freezes at 1:19:58 and again a few minutes later (hospital bed scene). Didn't bother to see if it also froze during the end credits.

I tried only the problem spots again on the 1200 this time while watching the full-frame side and it went through without issue.

KineKudos 08-17-03 07:52 AM

Mine freezes and skips at 1:19:59 on both my Toshiba and JVC players.

Wiped the disc, although there are no visible blemishes, but noticed no change.

One of the worst layer changes - pressing faults - I've ever come across. DAMN!!!

Will swap it anyway.

sparks 08-17-03 09:47 AM

My Pioneer DVL-700 froze up at that point also, had to watch the rest of the movie in foolscreen! Glad it was a rental.

KineKudos 08-17-03 06:56 PM

After much buffing with soft DVD cloths, I've discovered that the disc now plays past the 1:19:59 glitch without a hitch.

Only to discover it now freezes at a later point (1:22:??). This I can't rectify.

I wondered at first if I'd relocated a foreign body of some kind (grease, fingerprint, speck of dust) but I can't see anything. If it is layer separation, my constant handling might have somehow shifted an air bubble to the later spot (if this is possible).