Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Transformers: The Movie on DVD again

Old 07-18-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

According to http://thetransformers.net The Transformers: The Movie is going to be released once again on DVD by Metrodome.
STOP PRESS ** STOP PRESS ** ** STOP PRESS **** STOP PRESS **

Metrodome is undertaking the quest for the legendary original widescreen version of Transformers the Movie…check back for details

Webmaster
TransformersDVD.com
Ignoring for the moment the promise of the film in (matted) widescreen, do you suppose Metrodome will fix the problems that plague the faulty 5.1 mix in the Kid Rhino release or stick with the original stereo mix of the movie? The Rhino mix could have been great had it not been for the fact that surround left, front left and centre channel were serving the function of the front channels and that the front right and surround right are serving the function of the surround channels (with barely andy audio coming out of the surround right channel), making for a very annoying listening experience.

A little off topic, what do you guys think of the pic of the new Optimus Prime toy? http://domain375892.sites.fasthosts..../newprimeb.jpg Apparently he's fully transformable and poseable. Though it's weird that Megatron (in gun mode) is included as one of his weapons.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-18-03 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-18-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
They need to stick with the original stereo mix. I've had it with bad 5.1 remixes. I'll be happy with something like the original theatrical version.
Old 07-18-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Re: Transformers: The Movie on DVD again

Originally posted by RocShemp
A little off topic, what do you guys think of the pic of the new Optimus Prime toy? http://domain375892.sites.fasthosts..../newprimeb.jpg Apparently he's fully transformable and poseable. Though it's weird that Megatron (in gun mode) is included as one of his weapons. [/B]
That is sweet!!!!! Where can I get one and how much does it cost?
Old 07-18-03, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts

Ignoring for the moment the promise of the film in (matted) widescreen, do you suppose Metrodome will fix the problems that plague the faulty 5.1 mix in the Kid Rhino release or stick with the original stereo mix of the movie? The Rhino mix could have been great had itnot been for the fact that surround left, front right and centre channel were serving the function of the front channels and that the front right and surround right are serving the function of the surround channels (with barely andy audio coming out of the surround right channel), making for a very annoying listening experience.
It's been a while since I've listened to that disc, but now that you say this, that is exactly right (except that you say front right twice when you meant to say front left the first time). I was just assuming that the dialogue was bleeding to the surround left. But no, they've mixed up their channels and turned the entire soundstage sideways. How weird.

As for your question, my guess is that the 5.1 mix would not be included because Rhino mastered that themselves (the bumper at the beginning claims that it is in "Rhinophonic Sound"). So the 5.1 mix would be exclusive to their ownership unless they license it to the new studio.
Old 07-18-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for pointing out my little goof, JoshZ. I'll be sure to edit that post ASAP.

I sure hope Rhino does license their 5.1 mix to Metrodome (unless Metrodome can/does make one of their own that is just as good or better) since all that needs to be corrected is the speaker assignment. It really is a good soundmix but you have to turn off your TV and face your front left speaker and move the front right and surround right speakers behind you to actually enjoy it (which totally obviates having the 5.1 mix in the first place).

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-18-03 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-18-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Transformers: The Movie on DVD again

Originally posted by candyrocket786
That is sweet!!!!! Where can I get one and how much does it cost?
I wish I knew but TheTransformers.net claims that this and other TF toys just like it are due for release sometime during 2004.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-19-03 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-19-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I sure hope Rhino does license their 5.1 mix to Metrodome (unless Metrodome can/does make one of their own that is just as good or better) since all that needs to be corrected is the speaker assignment. It really is a good soundmix but you have to turn off your TV and face your front left speaker and move the front right and surround right speakers behind you to actually enjoy it (which totally obviates having the 5.1 mix in the first place).
I don't use full-range speakers for the surrounds, so this still wouldn't really work for me. Plus, there is the aggravation involved (my surrounds are mounted high). I suppose I could disconnect the wires and rewire each speaker, but what a pain in the butt!

I would prefer that the new studio just use the old Dolby Surround theatrical mix, or create a new 5.1 mix on their own. I have been very dissatisfied with all of Rhino's 5.1 remixing for their Transformers and GIJoe releases. I wish they'd just leave well enough alone.
Old 07-19-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Josh Z,

I don't use full range speakers for my surrounds either but I did reconnect each speaker to compensate for the skewed soundfield. I also had to (obviously) change my sound levels and L-R speaker balance in order to get a good sound experience. The track is pretty good but not great. The main problem I noticed once the correct audio was coming out from the correct speakers is that the stereo separation is very subdued compared to my old VHS copy. For example, when these "molars" inside Unicron are crushing parts of Lithone that it has consumed, on the VHS the "munching" sound is exclusive to my right speaker but on the DVD it sounds like it's spread almost evenly across all three front channels. The audio of Brawn falling to the ground when he gets shot, later in the film, fares better but the VHS is still the clear winner in terms of front channel separation. Also, all the music seems to be toned down just a notch, especially "Instruments of Destruction" by N.R.G.

It's still a good track but upon review not as good as it could have been.

As for the original theatrical sound mix, it's a Dolby Stereo recording. This film was never mixed in Dolby Surround (though I'm sure you cane fake it with a good DPII - or regular DP - decoder).

BTW, Josh Z, what's so bad about the 5.1 soundmix on the G.I. Joe: The Movie and The Transformers the series DVD releases by Rhino? I ask because I've read nothing but good things about the remixes (considering the age of the shows and movie) in every review I've read about them.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-19-03 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-19-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
BTW, Josh Z, what's so bad about the 5.1 soundmix on the G.I. Joe: The Movie and The Transformers the series DVD releases by Rhino? I ask because I've read nothing but good things about the remixes (considering the age of the shows and movie) in every review I've read about them.
For one, you could read Josh's review of the season one set at http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...ormers_s1.html :

Like many 5.1 remixes of mono soundtracks, the tampering done on the Dolby Digital track is often quite obnoxious. The new mix is bassy as hell, with every laser blast producing a boomy thump from the subwoofer. Sound effects have been redirected all over the soundstage, usually to gimmicky and annoying results. Rhino has also replaced a large number of the original generic sound effects with new generic substitutes in order to make them louder and more abrasive. The choices are usually inappropriate, with laser rifles making the sound of a shotgun blast and the like.

Don't get me wrong, there are times when the new mix is effective. The sound of the Decepticon audio distortion wave in The Ultimate Doom Part 2 fluctuating between the rear speakers is a great use of the discrete soundstage. Unfortunately, for every good example I can name half a dozen or more times when the sound mix was simply irritating.
From http://dvd.ign.com/articles/358/358001p1.html :

Some of the effects seem to bit just a bit overdone. Not so much that it's distracting, but it's definitely noticeable.
From http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=2635 :

The problem is that the surround activity is quite often "just for the hell of it" explosions (or, I should say, explosion, since the exact same metallic boom is used over and over again) burst forth from the rear soundstage, no matter where they occur onscreen, and most of the time the surrounds simply mimic the front channels, but at a lower volume. But then again, there are places where the audio design seems to flirt with the concept of true multichannel mixing, although the effects still sound as fake as they possibly could, and are usually way too punchy. The music generally sounds good, although sometimes a bit too loud and sometimes a bit too soft, but all in all, as distracting as it may be, the audio works in a kind of "so horribly cheesy its enjoyable" way.
From http://www.dvdtoons.com/reviews/120 :

I know the sound format is Dolby Digital 5.1 and that is as near top of the line as you can get in many animated DVDs, but all of that is a waste when the source material is in near crapped out condition. The low and highs in these episodes are all over the place. I had to constantly readjust the sound levels on my speakers to maintain a steady listening level. This was not even something I had to only do from episode to episode basis but quite a few times during the episodes from one scene to the next. There were at least two instances where I also detected a low ranged background buzz on the audio track.

I’m pretty sure Rhino also reinserted sound effects for a lot of the laser fire and explosions for this DVD release. Now I’m not really mad about that in itself, but these reworked effects usually end up sounding more out of place and utterly distracting than the originals would have. Typically you have a pretty dull audio track of slightly muted dialog with background music and then the loud crackling laser fire or an unusually loud clear explosion happens that reminds you how badly these audio tracks need to be re-mastered again.
From http://www.dvdauthority.com/reviews/...rsvillians.asp :

The audio is pushed through all the speakers at the same time. This allows a much more immersive experience, but I would rather have a more skillfully created, more simple effort instead. I heard a lot of distortion and hiss in this mix, much worse than the old VHS releases even.
Josh Z also has a review of the G.I. Joe Movie up on DVD File at http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...ethemovie.html :

The audio is crisp and clear, but it seems like the surround channels were created simply by directing music and effects meant for the front channels to the rears. I found them distractingly loud and had to reduce the volume to the surrounds. Even then, the resulting soundfield felt hollow and poorly balanced. The need to have this program in 5.1 is pretty dubious to begin with. If there were any split surround effects or deep bass activity I certainly didn't hear it, and the ambient noises from the back speakers felt forced and unnatural. I much preferred the results when I switched my receiver to Stereo mode and bypassed the pretense of surround sound altogether.
Old 07-19-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry, ctyner, I never looked at Josh Z's (or anyone's) sig so I never knew he was a reviewer.
Old 07-19-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ctyner, thanks for saving me the work!
Old 07-19-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Again, I appologize for not knowing you were a reviewer and had written on the subject of these DVDs, Josh Z. I meant no offence.
Old 07-19-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No offense taken. I hardly expect everyone to research my past list of reviews before posting a comment in a thread like this.
Old 07-19-03, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little off topic, what do you guys think of the pic of the new Optimus Prime toy? http://domain375892.sites.fasthosts..../newprimeb.jpg Apparently he's fully transformable and poseable. Though it's weird that Megatron (in gun mode) is included as one of his weapons.
That looks awesome!
Old 07-27-03, 12:13 PM
Suspended

I know this is off topic, but . . . . The deluxe Optimus is starting to show up for pre-orders. It's an ultra sweet toy, but it runs about 90 bucks

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to get my pre-order in now.
Old 08-01-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by El-Kabong
I know this is off topic, but . . . . The deluxe Optimus is starting to show up for pre-orders. It's an ultra sweet toy, but it runs about 90 bucks

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to get my pre-order in now.
90 bucks? I was hoping for 40 at the most.

How big is it? And where did you see it up for pre-order?

EDIT: I tried checking TheTransformers.net but the link they have pertaining to this toy wont load for me.

Last edited by RocShemp; 08-01-03 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-01-03, 01:37 PM

For those of you interested in ordering the toy check out www.bigbadtoystore.com

They are very reliable.

www.blastotoys.com should have it available for preoder soon as well. There is also a smokescreen with the same level of detail for preorder. They are part of the new "alternators" line aimed at collectors.