Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Bootleg Lord of Rings Two Towers DVDs (eBay)

Old 07-13-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a search for the hell of it on eBay and found a TON of Two Towers DVDs being sold...like for the last few months.

These obviously weren't the two-disc versions coming out in a month or so, but each auction clearly states "This item is not a bootleg" and "This is the real thing".

How do these guys get away with this? Hell, I'd like to be making thousands off eBay suckers too....
Old 07-13-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Screeners are a possibility.
Old 07-13-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
screeners is indeed the most likely answer. I have had my official Oscar screener sent from the studio themselves since the film opened. Is it a bootleg? It's ebay so the chances are great. could it be a screener copy? maybe. best thing to do is just wait it out since it comes out very soon.
Old 07-13-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It amazes me at the number of bootlegs floating on ebay. You know ebay is in a sad state of mind when good sellers have to write not a bootleg, official region 1 dvd in their description. Chances are if you dont look for signs on ebay and buy without asking questions, you will most likely end with a boot. The Disney boots annoy me the most.
Old 07-13-03, 04:38 PM

You have to think... just what does "real" mean?

"It's not a bootleg. It's the real thing."

Yeah, really copied.
Old 07-13-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
By real thing, they're probably meaning an actual pressed DVD, as opposed to a DVD-R.

So yes, it's a "real" DVD, but it's still a pirate copy.
Old 07-13-03, 05:29 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A bartender was bragging to my friends and I last month about getting this on DVD off Ebay. I asked him what the quality of the bootleg was... "Oh, it's not a bootleg." I was tempted to argue, but I wanted the drinks to keep coming so I kept my mouth shut.
Old 07-13-03, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if it is like the one I got it is a copy of the screener with menues and the TTT trailor "borrowed" from the FOTR EE. Also at the beginning they were bluring out "For your consideration" but half way through they got lazy and quit. LOL

What cracks me up about Ebay is that they actually advertise bootlegs on their site. Like I always see adds for star wars trilogy on dvd.
Old 07-13-03, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Yeah, a long time ago eBay was worth looking at and taking a chance on buying something, but nowadays I don't trust anything I see there, really sad state of affairs. I don't know how their administration could police it, other than the obvious ones - like this one, which has not yet come out on REAL, LEGAL DVD for the masses. And, in cases like this it seems like they ought to just refuse to allow the item. As to other bootleg sellers - after a few ratings where people say "obviously a bootleg", "a poor bootleg", and the like then they should just kick that seller out of their community FOREVER!

Anyway, my 2 cents worth - if anybody from eBay reads these posts - here is one person who used to purchase quite regularly, but ever since I got my 2nd bootleg, I've never been back to your site except to look and laugh about the OBVIOUS bootlegs advertised like this one - "THE REAL THING".
Old 07-13-03, 09:06 PM

Why would anyone spend real money on Ebay for this sort of thing when you can download an SVCD version for free??