Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Last American Virgin (original soundtrack?)

Old 07-10-03, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will the dvd release have the original soundtrack? I like Oingo Boingo and I don't think "Better Luck Next Time" appears on any other record------all I have is my old vinyl copy of this soundtrack to hear that song.....
Old 07-10-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
According to DVDfile, they think so. I don't think there is a definitive word yet.
Old 08-06-03, 06:44 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

So does anyone know if it is the original soundtrack? I just watched it and all the songs seem to be there, but I'm going off 10 year memories, so some could be missing.
Old 08-06-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep, OST is there.
Old 08-06-03, 08:29 PM

Its MGM, they probably did botch it up. I could have swore the film opened with "I know what boys want", but this version didnt.
Old 08-06-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i dont have any old copies to compare the new DVD to but i didnt notice anything different. in fact, i was surprised by the songs that stayed on the soundtrack. the cars, REO speedwagon, journey, U2 and the police (i thought Sting and the Police was a problem area with rights to their songs). the music rights issues seem to be too complex for me to understand. MGM can put out a DVD for $9.99 with all these songs intact and other movies cant.

as for the movie itself, it was even better than i remembered it, with the all time best ending i have ever seen in an 80s teen sex comedy or whatever you want to call it.

"There aren't good endings or bad endings. There are only true endings and false endings." -Hal Hartley
Old 08-07-03, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
hmmm...if true, someone should send a copy [WITH reciept] to Universal with a note telling 'em:

"THIS is how it's done...now, what was the reason for no Miami Vice again..?"
Old 08-07-03, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by scarredgod
i
as for the movie itself, it was even better than i remembered it, with the all time best ending i have ever seen in an 80s teen sex comedy or whatever you want to call it.

"There aren't good endings or bad endings. There are only true endings and false endings." -Hal Hartley
Bu tI never liked that ending, it certianly did not belong in a ranchy comedy like this, threw the movie off balance, and it sucked, I thought.
Old 08-07-03, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by prince_of_saturn
Bu tI never liked that ending, it certianly did not belong in a ranchy comedy like this, threw the movie off balance, and it sucked, I thought.
I loved the ending and upon 1st veiwing back in '82....it was a little unexpected...which was nice. watching it today for the 1st time might be different since it's easier for me to tell whos a HO and whos not. but really.....I never thought of it as a comedy so much as a coming-of-age film. real life as a teen isnt just a smile. and people are cruel. the ending was perfect.
Old 08-07-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As for the mention of the film opening with 'I Know What Boys Like' By The Waitresses.

According to imdb.com. The heavily edited tv version includes that song used over still photos. Meanwhile the original theatrical credit sequence is much different & i assume is on the dvd.

I only saw the butchured tv version on TBS a few years ago. It used the 'stills' credit sequence with that song.The film was so obviouslly butchured though. Yet it's impossible to find for rental,so i had to sit through that edited crap. I did think from what i could tell anyway. The films pretty good,amusing & sad.

Now thats it's out on dvd. I can't wait to view the real movie
Old 08-07-03, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by prince_of_saturn
hmmm.
i had just the opposite reaction.
once the movie ended, i reflected back on it and wondered what all that lame, generic, predictable teen sex comedy nonsense was doing in a really hard hitting coming of age movie.
Old 08-18-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was digging around IMDB, and it turns out this movie was based on a 1978 movie called Eskimo Limon, which was done by the same director. Sorry for the "My God, it's full of stars" monolith below, but I felt the synopsis would give away too much of the story of The Last American Virgin.

Spoiler:
Bentzi, Momo, and Yuda'leh are three teenage boys growing up in 1950's Israel, which is not much different from 1950's America if you believe what you see in the film. Of course they are obsessed with one thing - sex. Bentzi is interested in the beautiful Nili, but she prefers his friend Momo. Meanwhile, while Bentzi is working delivering ice to people he comes across a voluptous nympho. For some reason he leaves his job and gets his friends, who are promptly invited inside and divested of their virginity in an explicit softcore sex scene. Momo goes first, then the obese Yuda'leh. Before Bentzi can have his turn the nypho's sailor boyfriend suddenly returns from the sea and chases the boys away, Yuda'leh being forced to run away naked. The boys next visit a prostitute and are serviced by her in turn, the experience causing Bentzi to vomit. With all this experience under his belt Momo seduces Nili and impregnates her. He disowns her when she makes this known to him, leaving it to Bentzi to borrow money and sell his bicycle to get money for an abortion.
Old 08-21-03, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finally watched this last night. This is the first time I watched it in 10 years. The acting certainly isn't as strong as other teen comedies (even of the era, Fast Times, etc.) but the music and atmosphere worked well. Yes, the movie is somewhat cruel - particularly for the one character.

I don't think it held up as well as Fast Times and some of the other teen comedies of that era, but it was still decent.
Old 08-21-03, 11:51 AM
Banned

Can this really be the original soundtrack??
The trailer on the DVD boasts something like 25 songs, but during the feature the same small handfull of songs are repeated over and over and over. (The Devo track must play at least 20 different times during the film!!)
Old 09-05-03, 11:54 AM

Unfortunately, it seems MGM has struck us with the "rescored" blues on not only Valley Girl, but also The Last American Virgin.

Human League's "Love Action" has been replaced by a second dosage of Devo's "Whip It." The offending moment occurs in the scene at the hamburger joint when Rick demands the keys to Gary's grandmother's house. And to think I sold my old VHS copy which contains the full, original soundtrack. :f

Curiously, the original theatrical trailer, which is included on the DVD, opens with the first few seconds of "Love Action."

The end credits do not reflect the removal of "Love Action" as it is still listed there.

Jon
Old 09-05-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jon Hertzberg
Unfortunately, it seems MGM has struck us with the "rescored" blues on not only Valley Girl, but also The Last American Virgin
Dumb question, but how was the "Valley Girl" score changed?
Old 09-05-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts
"Who Can It Be Now" by Men at Work is supposed to play while Nick is hiding in the shower, but it's replaced by something else. Thank you so much MGM for indicating this on the cover so I could steer clear of it.
Old 09-12-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks.
Old 09-13-03, 09:38 PM
Cool New Member

I remember watching this movie when it came out and loved it, and the soundtrack was unparalleled (OK, that might be a stretch, but it's one of the best). So I really looked forward to it on DVD.

I always loved / hated the ending, because it was really true, but just cut the entire movie off.

The one thing I noticed was that I identified with Gary when I saw it back in the 80's, but now I thought he was really obnoxious and whiney