Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Would you buy a DVD tv season series If an episode was missing?

Old 07-07-03, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

With the show Profiler due out soon and it will be missing one episode-does this have an impact on your buying choices?
Old 07-07-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I probably wouldn't being a completist and all. I did not know this about Profiler, which episode will be missing from the set and why?
Old 07-07-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not interested in Profiler anyway, so this doesn't affect me.

But in general, it would depend on the show, and the episode.

Rob
Old 07-07-03, 05:33 PM
Banned

Is it the pilot that is missing? I bought Twin Peaks as did probably many of the other people on this forum and there is no pilot episode. Yeah, it's annoying but there is a region free Chinese dvd of it that I need to pick up. I keep procrastinating though... If say...episode 5 of said Twin Peaks series was missing, I think I would think twice. They were at least nice enough to include a booklet with a synopsis of what happened in the pilot episode..
Old 07-07-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
I read on another forum that one episode was missing from-The Profiler due too a song done by The Police and there were unable to come to an agreement over royalities(this is one reason why you probably will never see Ally McBeal R1).
Old 07-07-03, 07:57 PM
Rest in Peace

Yes to the original question, especially if Charlie X was missing from the ST:TOS
Robert Walker was in that stupid episode
Old 07-07-03, 08:17 PM
Suspended

I would say that it depends on the series, really. Take Doctor Who for example - the BBC is jumping around all over the 26 year run, releasing bits and pieces as they see fit. But that's a show you could get away with doing that with. The 1st Doctor isnt the same style and tone as the 4th Doctor as the 7th Doctor.

Hell, some of the orignal broadcast masters were destroyed from the BBC archives and dont even exist anymore. Given that, I'm still buying them.

Or take shows like The A-Team, or Knight Rider. Older cult shows are probably not going to get a better release than what's already out (The R2 PAL discs tend to jump all over the map and the Columbia House releases are EXTREMLY expensive for what you get). In that case, I'll take what I can grab and be happy for the privlage.

But if it were a show I didnt care so much about - a take it or leave it show like say Buffy - then it might discourage me.
Old 07-07-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RobCA
But in general, it would depend on the show, and the episode.

Of course, if you don't count the 2 anime shows I decided NOT to sell.. I only have 1 TV show box set, and it came out last week.. I don't like The Simpsons and the stuff I WOULD buy is too damn expensive (*cough*Sopranos*cough*)

However, the day I've been waiting for since I got a DVD player in early 99 is coming.. soon:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...+with+children
Old 07-07-03, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
For a series I like, it would be very questionable, and I would be somewhat upset like you probably are...

For the Profiler, I am not getting this series at all.
Old 07-07-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
For a series like "The Prisoner", a missing episode is critical... or even the upcoming "Lost In Space" sets. However, something like "Dark Shadows" where there was something like 500-700 episodes, a few missing ones wouldn't be missed.
Old 07-07-03, 09:29 PM

If this was a show that I dearly loved, and I didn't think it had a chance of being released with all the episodes intact, then yeah, I would most likely buy it (grudgingly). I'd probably end up having someone send me a VHS copy of the missing episode.

Hopefully none of the TV sets that I plan to buy in the future have this problem, though.
Old 07-07-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd get it regardless, as long as it's just one or two episodes at the most. I'm not going miss out on all the other episodes because of something I have no control over.
Old 07-07-03, 09:55 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's too bad that Seinfeld wont have the Puerto Rican Day Parade episode. But I have it in real format.
Old 07-07-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally posted by TCG
It's too bad that Seinfeld wont have the Puerto Rican Day Parade episode. But I have it in real format.
They haven't even released the first few seasons yet. The PR episode isn't until the last few ep. of the last season. Do you have some inside info? I have seen that episode in syndication, as well as the original. DVD will be the place to put the original as it aired.
Old 07-07-03, 10:55 PM

The show I most want on dvd right now is probably Curb Your Enthusiasm. I would certainly want every episode i could get and would wonder about the reasons for any exclusion, I would still happily buy it.
Old 07-07-03, 11:17 PM

i would WANT every episode, but still if i cant get them all then i'll take all but one.....
Old 07-07-03, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by sracer
However, something like "Dark Shadows" where there was something like 500-700 episodes, a few missing ones wouldn't be missed.
closer to 1200, and I would miss them!!!
Old 07-08-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by garmonbozia
closer to 1200, and I would miss them!!!
I knew it was a high number! I loved the show when it was first-run. My mom was an avid fan so it was on in our house every day. It's going to be a monsterous set... if it was packaged using those ultra-slim cases, I might consider getting them. But otherwise, it alone would easily dwarf the rest of my collection combined.
Old 07-08-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is there a way to sue the Record Industry for not letting us own our favorite shows on DVD? There's a number of shows that I've heard aren't coming out or are delayed because they can't get/afford rights to songs they used in the shows. The producers of the shows clearly paid for rights to the songs at some point, as they're able to show the episodes intact in primetime and all reruns. But now the record companys are going to charge an arm and a leg (or just refuse outright) to have the episodes released on DVD?

I don't understand it. They're already charging too much for CDs, they've already made money from all the airings of the show- they should think of it now as free advertisment for their music. Someone gets Profiler on DVD, they hear The Police and maybe run out to buy a greatest hits CD. It's a win, win situation. Of course, I don't think the industry people in the music biz see it that way...
Old 07-08-03, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by dvd-4-life
I read on another forum that one episode was missing from-The Profiler due too a song done by The Police and there were unable to come to an agreement over royalities
I don't care for Profiler, but it looks like they could've done what they do in the UK: substitute a different piece of music or make an edit. Sure, purists would hate it (especially if it was an edit), but at least the episode would be out there in SOME form.
Old 07-08-03, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by Tscott
I don't understand it. They're already charging too much for CDs, they've already made money from all the airings of the show- they should think of it now as free advertisment for their music. Someone gets Profiler on DVD, they hear The Police and maybe run out to buy a greatest hits CD. It's a win, win situation. Of course, I don't think the industry people in the music biz see it that way...
I guess it all boils down to the record industry trying to find "new" revenue streams. I don't know when the TV and video rights laws changed, but I remember, for instance, shows like The Gong Show playing in daily reruns in the 1980s on USA, and now, Game Show Network can't afford to air much of it because these days, you now have to clear the music rights, pay royalties, etc.

Seem this used to only apply to video releases ("City on the Edge of Forever" from Star Trek is one example where the video used a different piece of music from the version aired in syndication) and this may even still be the case in other countries, but now this seems to have spread to TV, too.

You'd have thought, though, by the time a show as recent as Profiler was made that they'd have thought of the possibility of video releases and not used something they wouldn't be able to clear for home video.

By the way, noticed your Young Ones signature. Were you aware that certain edits or substitutions were made to the DVD and video releases of this show for music clearance reasons?
Old 07-08-03, 09:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I guess that's why the phrase "complete ____ season" is overused and cliched sounding nowadays.
Old 07-08-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by mythmaker18
By the way, noticed your Young Ones signature. Were you aware that certain edits or substitutions were made to the DVD and video releases of this show for music clearance reasons?
Yes, I am aware of those cuts and bought the DVD set anyway, so I guess the answer to the original question posed by this thread is a reluctant "Yes", if I want the show bad enough and that's the only way to get it. What was frustrating about that show was the week before The Young Ones came out on DVD, I happened to see the episode "Cash" on BBC America in it's entirety, Subterranean Homesick Blues cover in tact and everything. If they've got rights to show it on TV, why can't they get rights on DVD? Should it cost that much more to "distribute" on DVD than "broadcast" on TV? With things like Tivo and other digital recording media, isn't this turning into the same thing? Hopefully this'll change somehow as more and more shows make attempts to be released on DVD and run into this problem.

Last edited by Tscott; 07-08-03 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-08-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by sracer
For a series like "The Prisoner", a missing episode is critical... or even the upcoming "Lost In Space" sets. However, something like "Dark Shadows" where there was something like 500-700 episodes, a few missing ones wouldn't be missed.
Dark Shadows had 1245 shows, and--wouldn't you know it--they are missing exactly one episode. Really.

Actually, there are maybe 20 where they lost the original video master, and so they're shown in a bad B&W kinescope--essentially a backup recording of a TV screen playing the episode.

The missing episode is near the end, and they "reconstructed" it with a "recap show" using audio & stills, hosted by one of the regulars.

I can't believe it, but yes, I'm buying all 25 box sets.

Last edited by adamblast; 07-08-03 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-08-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
At 40 episodes a set, shouldn't it take 31 box sets to get the whole Dark Shadows collection out?

Last edited by majorjoe23; 07-08-03 at 12:34 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.