Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Do you count your wife/girlfriends DVDs as part of your collection?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-03, 01:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I buy the majority of DVDs in our house but my wife has begun purchasing more and more. We keep them all together and I count them as part of my collection even though many of her titles I would have never bought myself. Do you usually count those in your collection or do you keep them separate? If you do keep them separated from your picks what about the odd movie she buys that you actually like? Can that be split between?
Just wondering.
Old 07-04-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me and my girls DVD's are one and the same - one collection, one rack, just like everything else in the house.

That's why if you look at my guzzlefish collection, you'll see titles like Wedding Planner and Stepmom. But it doesn't matter to me!
Old 07-04-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

of course my wife has her own titles mixed in with mine...sort of. she has her own shelf for 2 reasons. some of those titles , I refuse to have embedded with mine...like christian films. the other reason is she refuses to sift through all the blood and gore to get to hers. she has her very own shelf, which makes it easier for both of us. my rottweiler pup has his own shelf also....puppy training/protection training dvds.

everything is counted together...since I pay for it all.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 07-04-03 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-04-03, 01:40 PM
Rest in Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Widower 1979 I don't have a girlfriend but if I did and she was living with me, I would still give her what she deserves, equallity. It would be her collection, I am for equality in religion, sex, and color of skin. I am on the wide world web their are male and female users, you wouldn't call your GF a *male* user would you? The sames goes with it's her DVD collection.

I don't have a ego on man/men being better than a woman and women having no say in a conversation.

Last edited by danol; 07-04-03 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-04-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

yeah, i count my wife's movies too. they're all together.

hell, i even count my two year olds.
Old 07-04-03, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I used to count hers as part of my collection, but a man has his limits. That's why if you looked at my official list of DVDs, movies such as "Norma Rae" and "9 to 5" won't show up anywhere.

Then again, there are others that she wanted or bought herself, like "The Faculty" or "Heartbreakers" that I actually enjoy and list in my collection. But my compassion hits its limit at Bette Midler and Dolly Parton.
Old 07-04-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why would I? They're HERS, not MINE.

Vice versa, would you want your significant other calling YOUR collection HERS also? I'd be VERY quick to differ.
Old 07-04-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife tells me which ones she would like to own and then I go buy it.

Everything in my life belongs to my wife and everything she has belongs to me, we are married and we are one.
Old 07-04-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nope...she has her discs and I have mine.
Old 07-04-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 503 Likes on 255 Posts
What's hers is hers, and what's mine is hers. I'm married.
Old 07-04-03, 04:27 PM

I buy all my own DVDs, and my brother buys his own. We keep them in separate rooms but we're each allowed to watch each other's DVDs.
Old 07-04-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Me and my girls DVD's are one and the same - one collection, one rack, just like everything else in the house"

Do you share clothes too?
Old 07-04-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Same collection, just makes it easier.

Not to play armchair psychiatrist or anything, but I would see a refusal to mix the collections as indicative of bigger issues in the relationship.
Old 07-04-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking at my collection, I think I go even farther. It appears I count a few DVDs that belong to other people as part of my collection. I must return them sometime.

My wife does not own DVDs. She would not own them if we were not married. I am sure she would rent VHS tapes. And see them on a 19" TV. With no receiver. And it would be a little fuzzy and the color would be wrong. And the sound would be turned down so you don't have those annoying deep bass rumbles and special effect noises. Not that sound is much of an issue because the set would be mono with a very small speaker.

The house would be cleared of all movies, all books (there is a library, why buy?), all tools. All car stuff. All magazines. All cool little things I own like my Aliens statue and Roger Daltrey signed Tommy Poster. All computers. All software.

Ummm... what were we talking about?
Old 07-04-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I count them.
Old 07-04-03, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally posted by RandyC
My wife does not own DVDs. She would not own them if we were not married. I am sure she would rent VHS tapes. And see them on a 19" TV. With no receiver. And it would be a little fuzzy and the color would be wrong. And the sound would be turned down so you don't have those annoying deep bass rumbles and special effect noises.
(OT) You gotta get to work there Randy!! There is hope. I've had 3 girls converted after multiple sittings. They were also of the same VHS renting, 19" (20yr old fading greened tv), monaural loving "wonderful, caring, babes" (in case anyone's peeking ) variety that couldn't have cared less about the full potential of good film watching and listening experiences. Well, one of them did have a stereo receiver ... but you should see the speaks .. ouch!! In a big way. And, my system is only a modest one. Anyway, they now all want me to help them get the right gear ... what a guy has to do ...

Anyhoo .. my last serious g/f had about 15 DVDs and they integrated well with my collection, give or take a couple of Meryl Streeps [[shuddering]]. When we broke up, it was easy to dismember the collection sort to speak. Besides, I have my collection listed within my own private files, so it wouldn't be difficult to walk out with mine. Although, when my next serious girl comes running down the pike .. and she has more DVDs than I, sure .. what the heck .. I'd combine the collections without hesitation. My disks are my babies, but the biggest and baddest babe will always be the one I wake up with every morning.
Old 07-04-03, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by milo bloom

Not to play armchair psychiatrist or anything, but I would see a refusal to mix the collections as indicative of bigger issues in the relationship.
stop thinking so hard.
Old 07-04-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, I buy all of them .
Old 07-04-03, 10:32 PM

yep. all dvds are counted together
Old 07-04-03, 11:35 PM

The ones that I buy I count as mine. The ones that she buys are hers. The ones that I buy for her I count as mine.
Old 07-05-03, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everything is counted together as one collection, even though it pains me to have titles I hate like "Moulin Rouge!" and "The Matrix" as part of it. Eeughhh.
Old 07-05-03, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes as I am the one normally buying them for her.
Old 07-05-03, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 353 Likes on 229 Posts
I suppose if I had a wife I would count hers. I count my children's--even Moulin Rouge and, while I had it, The Phantom Menace (sold it since it didn't interest my son as much as expected.)

tasha
Old 07-05-03, 03:42 AM

Well, I am 19 and still live at home going to community college, and I count my mom's DVD's as mine, but not my brothers. That is because my brothers DVD collection consists of Mr. Deeds and a few other movies of equal crappiness.
Old 07-05-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my BOYfriends collection is counted with MINE and mine is counted with his. i must be a rare soul! if your together and share a home, then why wouldn't you? i'm not snobby enough to wince when i see his 'bumfights' mingle with my 'bugs life' he also has no problem with my dvds mixing with his since they make the collection look bigger! plus our tastes are very much the same except i will buy romantic comedies over most horror and vice versa.

Last edited by hgar78; 07-05-03 at 08:36 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.