Community
Search

Hmmmmm, DVD scratches????

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-03, 05:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmmm, DVD scratches????

Hi all! I am a DVD novice, having only had my player since Christmas. Today, I got a DVD set of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER which was listed on eBay as used, but in "mint" condition. The set looked reasonably good but the first disc has some scratches on the playing side.

Now, if this were a vinyl record, I would know exactly where to listen for the defects from damage on the vinyl disc (LP). But since this is a DVD, does anyone know if the damage, if any, would show up in the beginning or in the end of the disc? The scratches are near the center hole and on the data section (or silver part). What kind of defects should I look out for? And finally, if there is damage to the data, is there any kind of cleaning system that fixes this kind of damage (I know that sounds like wishful thinking, right)?

Thanks in advance!

Gala
Old 07-03-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a skip doctor to it.

It'll get the scratches right out. Once I had a CD in my car, under my seat for almost a year...looked dead. I put it in the skip doctor and BAM - it worked.

amazing
Old 07-03-03, 08:20 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Thank you! I assume this can be purchased anywhere...like MediaPlay, etc?
Old 07-03-03, 08:40 PM

Don't you hate when the products aren't as advertised? You need to take this up with the original owner. Mint means mint and mint does not meant scratches. I've had similar problems where like new equals scratches and even a missing disk!!!

For the most part, scratches don't affect much. DVD can have nasty scratches and surprisingly still plays fine. However, that's not my criteria. If its advertised as like new or mint then it should be just that.
Old 07-04-03, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kimiakane
Thank you! I assume this can be purchased anywhere...like MediaPlay, etc?
You can get one anywhere, look in the disc/audio cleaner area. They go for around $20-$30.
Old 07-04-03, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought a Skip Doctor last week and used it on a scratched up NetFlix disc that was skipping badly.

It worked like a charm.
Old 07-04-03, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been thinking about getting one of these soon. Does the motorized version work any better or is the hand crank just as good?
Old 07-04-03, 03:33 AM
Cool New Member

the same thing just happened to me with a SOTL:CC but it plays fine, so i don't want to try anything on it heh (toothpaste, etc.)
Old 07-04-03, 10:18 AM
Rest in Peace

I have the hand crank model

Originally posted by Tazwolff
I've been thinking about getting one of these soon. Does the motorized version work any better or is the hand crank just as good?

There are 2 versions but the motorized one goes at the same slow spedd putting a radial design you can see, but again it works like a charm. Retail hand crank, goes for $29.95 and motorized $54.95.

When you run out of water, yes water don't be taken in that you have to buy their water. I use 'Poland Springs' spring water. Use this only on scratches if your disc is skipping runs some hot as you can take hot water, then smear either Ivory Liquid or Irish Spring Liquid soap on them then rinse, to dry use a tissue, spread it accross the disc (across the disc is *radial* the way the SkipDoctor works).

The square piece of Felt is the best, I ordered 1 dozen of Felt at a cost of $2.95 from a fabrics store online. If using the SkipDoctor if you want it to shine press harder on the felt. Remember the disc starts the movie or concert near
the disc hole and goes out to edge of disc end of movie or concert, not the way most think it goes. I hope this helps you and any other new to DVD discs members or lurkers.
Old 07-04-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone try the self wipe out solutions, ie WipeOut! ?

Wipeout!