Community
Search

Slayer DVD (it's about time)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by woofman
On a different note I read that SLAYER are expected to release their BOX SET by the end of the year (yeah right) and it's supposed to contain CDs and a DVD of VINTAGE FOOTAGE!!! I hope it's true!
It is... There's actually a little paper insert in the DVD advertising the box set. Also, if you go to the Slayer web page, it's listed there. And, in addition to that, a new album scheduled for early 2004.

>>> POSTED 7/11/03. Slayer box set, "Soundtrack to the Apocalypse" coming soon. New Slayer studio album early 2004. You heard it HERE first.

Oh yeah, in case you didn't hear, the drummer this time around is a fella by the name of Dave Lombardo. How friggin' cool is that?

>>> 06/01/2003 - In Slayer news, Dave has recieved music from both Jeff and Kerry, and the three will meet on Mon. June 2, to start putting material together for a new album.

That was taken from davelombardo.com.

Hey, thanks for the easter egg Damage!
Old 07-30-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very very cool. I caught these guys on the Clash of the Titans tour back in 91. Best concert ever. I'll have to go see if i can find this.
Old 07-30-03, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't really say much that hasn't already been said...but GET THIS DVD IF YOU'RE A SLAYER FAN!

I can't believe it's at #22 on Amazon...right ahead of The Lion King.
Old 07-30-03, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
It is... There's actually a little paper insert in the DVD advertising the box set. Also, if you go to the Slayer web page, it's listed there. And, in addition to that, a new album scheduled for early 2004.

Oh yeah, in case you didn't hear, the drummer this time around is a fella by the name of Dave Lombardo. How friggin' cool is that?
Hmmm, my DVD didn't have that insert, oh well. Hey, remember that live album of theirs from about ten years ago, DECADE OF AGGRESSION... Was there a concert video that accompanied it?

Great to hear Lombardo's back behind the kit, eh? He's truely Metal's BEST drummer.
SLAYER! SLAYER! SLAYER!
Old 07-30-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What's the documentary like? Is it just a bunch of fans yelling "SLAYER!" for 50 minutes?
Old 07-30-03, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
What's the documentary like? Is it just a bunch of fans yelling "SLAYER!" for 50 minutes?
Well... ah... hmmm... yes, mostly meatheads yelling "SLAYER!" There are a few good comments from some people, but the focus is primarily on cheeseballs going on about murder and beating people up. It's a funny documentary, but I was hoping to see smarter fans, because I KNOW they're out there. I suppose drunk chowderbrains are funnier though.
Old 07-30-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Damage
Hey, remember that live album of theirs from about ten years ago, DECADE OF AGGRESSION... Was there a concert video that accompanied it?
Yes I do and not that I recall...

Yeah, the documentary has a lot of footage of drunken idgits yelling Slayer! and waxing all poetic (snicker) about the devil, murder, booze and what not... Kinda silly but it's entertaining.
Old 07-30-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Yeah, the documentary has a lot of footage of drunken idgits yelling Slayer! and waxing all poetic (snicker) about the devil, murder, booze and what not... Kinda silly but it's entertaining.
Last time I saw Slayer (Feb 1986) everyone was yelling "SLAYER!" at Kerry King. It was pretty funny. Out of earshot (I was walking w/ him to 7/11 getting ready to interview him for my college radio show), he started mocking the crowd going "slayer! slayer!" in a nasally voice. I can only imagine how much it must bug him now 17 years later!!! ha ha

The fans are pretty rabid, even way back then. At the show earlier, someone dove off the balcony and went THROUGH the stage. Slayer talked about that one for years afterwards in interviews.

Just picked up the DVD today during lunch. Can't wait to see it. It's only a matter of hours before finding out if the documentary is a new "Heavy Metal Parking Lot" (with Slayer fans rather than Judas Priest fans).
Old 07-30-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The fans are pretty rabid, even way back then. At the show earlier, someone dove off the balcony and went THROUGH the stage. Slayer talked about that one for years afterwards in interviews.
Another They're still talking about it, you'll see what I mean...

Last time I saw Slayer was on the South of Heaven tour... Always been a big fan but I quit going to the shows. Probably a good thing too!
Old 07-31-03, 08:39 AM
Cool New Member

Two things struck me while watching the fan thing:
Firstly, boy am I getting old. The fans look to be about 18 on average (maybe slightly older), and quite a lot of girls about the same age. I can only imagine what my wife's response would be if I asked her to see Slayer with me tomorrow, for instance. The band comments about the presence of girls in their audience (more during their last tour than previously), and their capability in watching out for themselves even in the pit. I've been to plenty of shows where the ladies were present in the pit, but Slayer shows were not amongst them.

Secondly, I've been reminded that a major reason I've been a fan for so long (I remember buying Hell Awaits on vinyl the week it came out) is that these guys appear to have a healthy sense of humor about themselves, and their legacy. It is pretty subtle and not very explicit in the interviews with them, but SOMEONE in the band must have made the decision to include what seems like 10 minutes of drunken rambling from a preppy fan about what he would do if Slayer stopped playing tomorrow, etc. The final "interview" with the overweight fan sitting in silence for 1 minute before screaming "SLAYER" at the top of his lungs reminds me to be good to my liver ocassionally. Surely, the band has to wonder what their place in musical history will be with a fan base as agressively silly as theirs are. The inclusion of some of this stuff makes me think that they have a pretty solid , grounded, sense of humor and I am proud to call myself a fan (albeit slightly older and less violence-prone than some of these folks).
Old 07-31-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by nissl
Two things struck me while watching the fan thing:
Firstly, boy am I getting old. The fans look to be about 18 on average (maybe slightly older), and quite a lot of girls about the same age. I can only imagine what my wife's response would be if I asked her to see Slayer with me tomorrow, for instance. The band comments about the presence of girls in their audience (more during their last tour than previously), and their capability in watching out for themselves even in the pit. I've been to plenty of shows where the ladies were present in the pit, but Slayer shows were not amongst them.

Secondly, I've been reminded that a major reason I've been a fan for so long (I remember buying Hell Awaits on vinyl the week it came out) is that these guys appear to have a healthy sense of humor about themselves, and their legacy. It is pretty subtle and not very explicit in the interviews with them, but SOMEONE in the band must have made the decision to include what seems like 10 minutes of drunken rambling from a preppy fan about what he would do if Slayer stopped playing tomorrow, etc. The final "interview" with the overweight fan sitting in silence for 1 minute before screaming "SLAYER" at the top of his lungs reminds me to be good to my liver ocassionally. Surely, the band has to wonder what their place in musical history will be with a fan base as agressively silly as theirs are. The inclusion of some of this stuff makes me think that they have a pretty solid , grounded, sense of humor and I am proud to call myself a fan (albeit slightly older and less violence-prone than some of these folks).
Well said.

I agree completely... (well, except for the wife thing, I've already been through one and almost another) You remember the vinyl picture discs? I had Hell Awaits in that format when it was released, think it was a UK import. Anyhoo, yeah, it's strange being in my 30's and seeing a bunch of 18's and under still digging the same band that I thrashed out to as a teen... Of course, when I think back, I used to do some really silly stuff at that age too... Don't know how I made it thru my 20's to be honest.

Great DVD!
Old 07-31-03, 10:07 AM
Cool New Member

You remember the vinyl picture discs?
I was awed by these at the time, especially the ones that were not round, but cut to match the artwork, etc. I could never justify buying them on the grounds that I couldn't see the point of owning music that couldn't be played.

This is a great disc, although I'll never hear someone knocking on my door three times quite the same way again (Watch the fan thing through to the end, for those not in the know).
Old 07-31-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got a couple observations about the fan film too:

1) Funny how the people are going "yeah! Slayer! They don't need no gimmicks or anything!" Ummm... can anyone say "satan"? The whole satan thing was a gimmick from day one (and was already getting old by '83 when they started!). They don't really believe in a guy in a red suit with a pitchfork who's going to reward them by being "evil" when they die (they use it as more of a weapon against Christianity). It's the oldest, stupidest gimmick in metal!

2) That drunk guy on the steps... At the end of the film, the interviewer says "Lee Ving" and gives him a hug. Is that Lee Ving from Fear who was the drunk guy on the steps?!?? He was hilarious!
Old 07-31-03, 10:43 AM

This is a great disc, although I'll never hear someone knocking on my door three times quite the same way again (Watch the fan thing through to the end, for those not in the know).
Funny you should say that! The next day at work, somebody knocks at my office door and I couldn't help myself. They didn't understand why I was laughing.

So I thrashed them.
Old 07-31-03, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2) That drunk guy on the steps... At the end of the film, the interviewer says "Lee Ving" and gives him a hug. Is that Lee Ving from Fear who was the drunk guy on the steps?!?? He was hilarious!
Interesting, I didn't catch that... Guess I'll watch it again! Fear The Record is one of the great punk albums of all time!
Old 08-01-03, 07:33 AM
Cool New Member

I rewatched that part last night, and, according to the subtitles, the guy shouts "Leiland!" rather than "Lee Ving." Besides, wouldn't Lee Ving be in his forties by now???
Old 08-01-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I rewatched that part last night, and, according to the subtitles, the guy shouts "Leiland!" rather than "Lee Ving." Besides, wouldn't Lee Ving be in his forties by now???
Doy. I've never seen what Lee Ving looks like (though I know he lives in SF). The lighting was pretty bad on that too, so I couldn't really see how old he was, but he did seem pretty young. Still, he was hilarious! Funniest thing in the documentary (and that's saying alot!)
Old 08-01-03, 08:52 PM
Banned

[i]On a different note I read that SLAYER are expected to release their BOX SET by the end of the year (yeah right) and it's supposed to contain CDs and a DVD of VINTAGE FOOTAGE!!! I hope it's true! [/B]
in addition to that, they may be re-designing ALL of the artwork for each CD in the box set, AND releasing a separate CD that includes all of the unavailable tracks in the box set so that the fans that already have all of the albums do not have to buy them again! This is a great idea - so their fans so not have to shell out $100+ to re-purchase what they already own.

SLAYER!!!!
Old 08-01-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder if they're re-mastering everything for the box? Reign In Blood thru Divine Intervention sound pretty decent and the newer stuff from Undisputed Attitude thru God Hates Us All sound excellent.... But, Hell Awaits, Haunting The Chapel and Show No Mercy, despite having already been re-mastered years ago, still sound very thin. A complete re-mastering would probably get me to spring for the box, otherwise, I'll be passing. Anyone know?
Old 08-01-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Something about the production of South of Heaven always bugged me (can't put my finger on it though), so a remaster might be nice.

I will be spending this weekend going through the new DVD.
Old 08-08-03, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did anyone elses DVD come in a standard CD jewel case? Mine did. I am not complaining (I would have rather had the DVD case), I has a booklet (like a CD), and everything on it is offical.

The Bloodline video is very cool.
Old 08-08-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Weird. No, my copy came in a clear Alpha which I quickly tossed in favor of an Amaray. Now that you mention it, I think I remember reading something about this DVD possibly being released in a jewel case. You ordered online I take it?
Old 08-08-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No I got it at a record store. It is an independant type record store, but they still get all of the releases.

It just seems odd to release the title with two different types of cases.
Old 08-09-03, 10:51 AM

Paradicelost - "Very very cool. I caught these guys on the Clash of the Titans tour back in 91. Best concert ever. I'll have to go see if i can find this."

I saw that tour in Hampton Va., what a great show it was. I love Anthrax, and Megadeth a lot, but let me tell ya', Slayer kicked the s*** out of everybody that night. It was a good thing they went on last. I've only seen Slayer twice, and each time thay were incredible. They blew the roof of the place each time.

Damage - "Hey, remember that live album of theirs from about ten years ago, DECADE OF AGGRESSION... Was there a concert video that accompanied it?"

Great album, but sad to say no video or DVD was released, that I can recall.

I will be hoping to find the Slayer DVD this afternoon, can't wait to hear it.