Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

The Who's "The Kids are Alright" 9-30-03!!

Old 07-02-03, 08:29 PM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to thekidsarealright.net, Pioneer will be putting out the remastered version of "The Kids are Alright" on 9-30-03! I, for one, can't wait. This is a great docu, and should be a great DVD.

-Videophile
Old 07-03-03, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

***marks calendar accordingly***
Old 07-03-03, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the news. I've been waiting for this one!
Old 07-03-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Great news. One less argument for a region-free dvd player.
Old 07-03-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kromax
***marks calendar accordingly***
I'll second that. Thanks for letting us know!
Old 07-03-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are 2 planned releases...

Special Edition w/ Interview and Commentary with Director Jeff Stein; Interview with Roger Daltrey; Multi Camera Angles; Making of DVD; Audio & Video Comparisons; Trivia Games

And a Deluxe Special Edition w/ Restored to the original "Director's Cut" length of 109. Interactive Interview and Commentary by Director Jeff Stein; Remixed Audio; On-Screen Liner Notes.
Old 07-04-03, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw the two listings at Dvdplanet.com but I could not understand the two releases, it seems that the Special Edition has alot more features or different features than the Deluxe Special Edition. I guess we will have to wait for more details or until some other stores have it up for pre-order. Sometimes Dvdplanet is not that reliable on information, etc.
Old 07-04-03, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Kids are Alright web site:

http://www.thekidsarealright.com/def...?1057306760940
Old 07-09-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 771 Likes on 560 Posts
From DVDFile:

Another great announcement for rock fans comes today from Pioneer Entertainment, who will release The Who's classic The Kids Are Alright on September 30th. Packed with concert footage and interviews, this seminal concert film features one of the last performances by the band's late drummer Keith Moon. Newly remastered, this new version restores 8 minutes of previously unseen footage and is presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen with DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 surround tracks. Pioneer will release two versions: a single-disc Deluxe Edition that features an interactive interview and commentary with director Jeff Stein plus subtitle track liner notes, and a two-disc Special Edition with the same extras plus over 100 minutes of alternate camera angles that isolate each band member, a new interview intro with Roger Daltrey, a 40-minute documentary on the film's restoration, before-and-after audio and video comparisons, an isolated John Entwistle bass track, "The Who's London" interactive video tour a "Who Are You?" light and slide show trivia game. There may even be a rare Ringo Starr recording as an easter egg if you look hard enough. Retail is $24.95 for the single-disc edition and $29.95 for the two-disc set.
Old 07-22-03, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got this information from Amazon.com to compare the 2 versions since most places do not list the features. i'am still a little confused on the SE and DE. Shouldnt something called Deluxe have the more features than Special?

Special Edition:

DVD Features:
Commentary by Jeff Stein

Restored to the original "Director’s Cut" length of 109 minutes.

Almost 100 minutes of never-before-seen multi-camera angle footage.

Completely re-mastered in Hi-Definition and 5.1 surround from the original film elements and multi-tracks.

Packed with a 32 page collectable booklet and a second disc full of extras, interviews and never before seen footage.

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:

Roger Daltrey - An incredible new on-camera interview from this living legend.

Multi Camera Angles - An extremely rare feature that is almost 100 minutes and featuring as many as 6 angles including a Pete cam, a Roger cam, a Moonie cam and an Ox cam.

Making of the DVD - 40 minute feature offering an in-depth look at how the film was restored.

Audio Comparison - This 8 minute feature provides a direct side-by-side comparison of the before and after audio.

Video Comparison - This 6 minute feature provides a direct side-by-side comparison of the before and after so people can see what they’ve been missing all these 24 years!

The Ox - A very special audio feature allowing the user to select an isolated audio track of legendary bassist John Entwistle.

The Who's London - An interactive feature offering the viewer a video tour of Who landmarks.

Trivia Games - Questions to test your knowledge with a prize of a newly mixed 5.1 rendering of the album version of “Who Are You” playing a video light/slide show and a long lost recording of Ringo Starr.

English Subtitles - Figuring out the lyrics the band is singing is one thing, but deciphering what they say while screaming over each other is whole other puzzle.

Widescreen anamorphic format

Number of discs: 2

Deluxe Edition, 1 disc?:

DVD Features:
Commentary by director Jeff Stein

Restored to the original "Director’s Cut" length of 109 minutes.

Almost 100 minutes of never-before-seen multi-camera angle footage.

Completely re-mastered in Hi-Definition and 5.1 surround from the original film elements and multi-tracks.

Packed with a 32 page collectable booklet.

Widescreen anamorphic format
Old 07-22-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,258 Likes on 2,174 Posts
I think Amazon has the incorrect information (and not for the first time). I would believe the DVDfile info above that the 100 min of footage is only on the second disc of the 2 disc set.

I've never seen the film. Is it good?
Old 07-22-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You might be right on the extra 100 minutes of footage.

I remember back in the mid/ late 80's when I first got cable it was on Cinemax and the first time I saw a little of it I had to tape it the next time it was on and used to watch it alot. Below is a link to the IMDB comments on the film or vhs tape. I sure am looking forward to the 2 disc set:

http://us.imdb.com/CommentsShow?0079400

Last edited by ernestrp; 07-22-03 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-22-03, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice.
Old 07-22-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Decker
I've never seen the film. Is it good?
If you like The Who, definitely. If you don't, probably not.

I love it. Especially the Smothers Brothers part and A Quick One..., which is my favorite filmed live performance ever.

Sounds like a great release, too. Although for $5.00 difference, it's hard for me to see why anyone who was interested enough to purchase this at all would bother with the single disk.

Last edited by Ginwen; 07-22-03 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-25-03, 04:18 AM

Great news!!!
alas there is a lot of confusion about Special and Deluxe edition, did someone already preordered it? which version and why?

mdm67: the collection
Old 07-25-03, 04:27 AM

OK guys!!
http://www.thekidsarealright.com/def...?1057306760940 has a press release who explains it all.
Old 09-23-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

bump

Got my shipping notice from DDD for the 2 disc SE.
Old 09-23-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow! I waited too long for this one and now the price is up to $19.76. I ordered it anyway cuz it's still the cheapest I see and it looks like it's still in stock.

Looks like DDD is back to shipping way early (maybe cuz it's so slow) - I got Decade Under the Influence from them yesterday, also a 9/30 release date.
Old 09-24-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found this review for 2 disc SE today:

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/I-...e_alright.html
Old 09-25-03, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This one's up there with the recent Zeppelin release in terms of my ancticipation. Can't wait to hear it.
Old 09-29-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got the SE in the mail today and WoW!!! What a 2-disc SE!!! Very nice.
Old 09-29-03, 11:11 PM
Defunct Account

Arrrgh, you dog. Mine has shipped, but I don't have it yet.

-Videophile
Old 09-30-03, 07:53 AM
JM1

Got mine last week (early UK copy), 2 disc edition.

It is stunning. One of the best restorations I have ever seen.

Many of the docs detail the restoration process, but it's really fascinating stuff. Interesting to hear how 5.1 tracks are actually put together.

The interviews and commantaries are very anecdotal, lots of little bits of gossip, trivia and little known facts.

There are also some multi angle and multi track options on the Shepperton Studios tracks, so you can select the option to just watch Moon the Loon on drums for he whole track - on the moonie cam, as it's known.

Of course, the DTS track really kicks butt, and the pic looks like it was filmed yesterday - impressive considering how old some of it is.

And it has one of the best booklets I have ever seen too, really thick and comprehensive.

I particularly liked the subtitle option that tells you when and where each segment was filmed, and also if it was live, pre-recorded or utilising backing tracks etc.

A top notch disc...
Old 09-30-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JM1
Got mine last week (early UK copy), 2 disc edition.

It is stunning. One of the best restorations I have ever seen.

Many of the docs detail the restoration process, but it's really fascinating stuff. Interesting to hear how 5.1 tracks are actually put together.

The interviews and commantaries are very anecdotal, lots of little bits of gossip, trivia and little known facts.

There are also some multi angle and multi track options on the Shepperton Studios tracks, so you can select the option to just watch Moon the Loon on drums for he whole track - on the moonie cam, as it's known.

Of course, the DTS track really kicks butt, and the pic looks like it was filmed yesterday - impressive considering how old some of it is.

And it has one of the best booklets I have ever seen too, really thick and comprehensive.

I particularly liked the subtitle option that tells you when and where each segment was filmed, and also if it was live, pre-recorded or utilising backing tracks etc.

A top notch disc...
Come on, 5:15!!!! (The time I get off work and run to the store)
Old 09-30-03, 11:20 AM

Mine just arrived! Thank you UPS for coming a day early!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.