Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Twin Peaks season 2-any news yet??

Old 07-01-03, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been a while since we talked about this on the boards, and I've been wondering.

Last I heard, plans were for a region two release, first I heard May then I heard fall/winter. With the fall getting closer and closer, I was wondering if any news has been heard yet?
Old 07-01-03, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The latest news is that the Reg 2 release of Season 2 Part 1 is scheduled for October here in Reg 2 land. Reg 1 land will have to wait until 2004.

See www.dugpa.com for more.
Old 07-01-03, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Squirrel God
Reg 1 land will have to wait until 2004.
Old 07-01-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by rfduncan
Hey, don't shoot the messenger

It might be because of the DTS mix?

We didn't get DTS on our Season 1 - although we did get the pilot
Old 07-01-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
I believe the rights to the series in Region 1 have gotten tangled since Paramount bought the Republic Pictures catalog. Could be a while before it gets straightened out.
Old 07-01-03, 01:26 PM

When talking abou Regions, one should also list the country. For example, there is already a Region 2 Twin Peaks DVD set available. It is the WHOLE series (seasons 1 & 2). This is from Spain tho. The info posted above about an October release in Region 2 was referring to the UK.

Just an FYI tho, the spanish r2 full series set...it's not that great of quality...bu hey, it's better than the VHS tapes in my opinion.
Old 07-01-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info. I hope the quality of the UK set is better than the Spain set, because that's what I've been holding out for.

I see you mentioned it was part one? What is the expected wait for part 2?
Old 07-01-03, 04:37 PM

I havent watched my pilot or season 1 set or fire walk with me because i want to make it a marathon and watch it with season 2...looks like im importing the set and getting a region free DVD player. I just dont want to watch the first season and be like "AND THEN WHAT HAPPENS?!"
Maybe they'll rerun it on TV again like they did last fall.
Old 07-01-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JLyon1515
When talking abou Regions, one should also list the country. For example, there is already a Region 2 Twin Peaks DVD set available. It is the WHOLE series (seasons 1 & 2). This is from Spain tho. The info posted above about an October release in Region 2 was referring to the UK.
Good point, I apologise. I get so used to posting on UK forums where everyone presumes "Region 2" means "UK" unless they state otherwise

Originally posted by calhoun07
Thanks for the info. I hope the quality of the UK set is better than the Spain set, because that's what I've been holding out for.

I see you mentioned it was part one? What is the expected wait for part 2?
I haven't seen the Spain set but the UK set has excellent transfers!

The one exception is the pilot where the image is a little softer. However, I used to own the Asian Region 0 Pilot and the PQ on that was noticeably worse (I compared the two before deciding whether to get rid of it or not). The Region 0 also had a DD 5.1 soundtrack whereas the Reg 2 UK set has only a Dolby Surround soundtrack for the pilot (5.1 for the episodes) - however, believe me when I say the Surround track is way better on the Region 2 UK. The 5.1 track on the Region 0 sounded very over compressed and dialogue was misplaced in places and sometimes difficult to make out.

I haven't heard any information about Season 2 Part 2 yet, sorry.

Originally posted by xxjobseyes
I havent watched my pilot or season 1 set or fire walk with me because i want to make it a marathon and watch it with season 2...looks like im importing the set and getting a region free DVD player. I just dont want to watch the first season and be like "AND THEN WHAT HAPPENS?!"
Maybe they'll rerun it on TV again like they did last fall.
I know what you mean, but I had already seen the entire show twice, so I watched Fire Walk With Me straight after watching my Season 1 DVDs. I'll watch it again after Season 2 too

I can never leave DVDs sitting there unwatched for too long, in case one of them has a manufacturing fault and then it's way too late to get the retailer to exchange it.
Old 07-01-03, 07:01 PM
Banned

I'm really getting annoyed with this. I bought the season one set the day it was released and this was my first experience with Twin Peaks. I watched all the episodes the night I got it with my brother and we couldn't wait for more. It's got to be at least two years since this set has come out right??? I STILL don't know who killed Laura Palmer! I own Fire Walk With Me and obviously have access to the internet so I could find out instantly but I really want to have the surprise of seeing it myself. I'm sure there are many that purchased the season one boxed set who feel the same way.

When the show aired, viewers only had to wait until next season to find out who killed Laura Palmer. It seems unfair we have to wait even longer than that for the dvd's!
Old 07-01-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by folgersnyourcup
I STILL don't know who killed Laura Palmer!
And by all accounts, if David Lynch had his way, no-one would ever knew who killed Laura Palmer

Don't get too hung up on it. It's not very important at all in the grand scheme of things. Twin Peaks is so much more than that small sub-plot

If you have the Reg 1 boxset, then I do hope you bought the Reg 0 pilot, as it's essential!

Last edited by Squirrel God; 07-01-03 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-01-03, 09:24 PM
Banned

Hehe, thanks for the post Squirrel God. Glad to hear there's more to it than that. I love Lynch's films, and definitely realize he probably would have liked to have left it crpytic.

To answer your question, no I did not purchase the Region 0 pilot. I have never seen it. I guess I should go about buying that to tide me over!
Old 07-01-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by folgersnyourcup
To answer your question, no I did not purchase the Region 0 pilot. I have never seen it. I guess I should go about buying that to tide me over!
Oh hell yeah! I'm only sorry you watched the entire season without ever seeing the pilot It contains lots of important info and begins with the discovery of Laura Palmer's body ... I'll say no more
Old 07-01-03, 09:47 PM
Banned

Hehe, well it's all the fault of the boxed set I didn't see the pilot first! Stupid squabbling about ownership or whatever...

After hitting play on episode 1 and being greeted with: "Previously on Twin Peaks" I consulted the booklet that came with it and found the synopsis of the pilot which left me completely confused. I knew characters' names, but not the faces to connect them to. For the most part I think I somewhat figured out what happened but I would still definitely like to see it!
Old 07-02-03, 09:31 AM

FIYC, this is what you need for the complete picture. (Well, I guess it really isn't the complete picture, but it's all we've got in Region1 until Artisan gets their act together.) ENJOY!
Old 07-02-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by postpunk
(Well, I guess it really isn't the complete picture, but it's all we've got in Region1 until Artisan gets their act together.)
According to an article (on upcoming and not yet available DVDs) in yesterday's Seattle Times, Artisan doesn't even know who owns the rights to Twin Peaks anymore.

Here's a link to the article: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...772_dvd01.html

and here's what it says about Twin Peaks Season 2:
From the Seattle Times
"Twin Peaks" season two. Don't hold your breath. Artisan, which did what Agent Cooper would have called a damn good job on the first season of Lynch's series, no longer has the rights — and they don't know who does now.
Old 07-02-03, 10:51 AM

Read that Times article after I submitted my post. Regardless, I'm still bitter that we don't have season 2.
Old 07-02-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally posted by Ginwen
From the Seattle Times
"Twin Peaks" season two. Don't hold your breath. Artisan, which did what Agent Cooper would have called a damn good job on the first season of Lynch's series, no longer has the rights — and they don't know who does now.
Paramount is the most likely candidate, since they purchased the rest of the Republic Pictures catalog. But of course Paramount is one of the slowest studios to dig into their old titles or release TV shows on DVD.
Old 08-29-03, 04:14 PM

Anybody have any new news on this??
Twin Peaks has been a disaster on dvd.

First we get the First Season minus the pilot.

Then Fire Walk With Me Comes out without the almost hours worth of deleted scenes Lynch wanted to remaster.

And now its been almost 3 years and still no word on season 2. Do we even atleast know who owns the rights to it?

Finally since it doesn't look like there will be a settlement over the FWWW deleted scenes why can't whoever owns them but out just a supplements edition sort of like the Matrix Revisited. They could include the deleted scenes and throw in some documentaries.
Old 08-29-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yea, it really sucks, especially since they did such a good job with the first season.
Old 08-29-03, 06:50 PM
Banned

all of david's movies are screwed up on video. does this guy not care at all about this work?

I mean where is wild at heart, lost highway was a big let down for me all in panscan and looks worse then my copy of the laserdisc version I made on vhs does LOL.

I was thinking about this the other day. more of a rant really because I watched Dune on dvd. man does that movie need some big time clean up. Blue Velvet was a ok release as far as quality goes, but not much extra in the dvd.

same goes for firewalk with me, I liked that movie but it sounds better on laser disc to me then on dvd. picture quality is better then LD but still a poor job of a dvd next to other films that have come out. all of MGM dvds seem to be light on extras.

then there is Twin Peaks My favorite all time tv miniseries. I didn't buy all of it on laser because the price was crazy but I am wishing I had of, I guess part of the reason was it was 200 dollars canadian and didn't come with any extras at all and that was for the first episodes. but it didn't come with the pilot ether so I didn't buy it. I can't understand how they could never release all of it together. I mean whats the point of even doing it with out the pilot. lots of tv shows are pilots before they are tv shows so why can't this one be.

I am never buying twin peaks with out the Pilot, thank god I still have the tv vhs copy I made.
Old 08-29-03, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jackass alert, what is this twin peaks tv show/movie you all seem to mention from time to time, what network did this air on.
Old 08-29-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jarryjayo
all of david's movies are screwed up on video. does this guy not care at all about this work?

I mean where is wild at heart, lost highway was a big let down for me all in panscan and looks worse then my copy of the laserdisc version I made on vhs does LOL.

I was thinking about this the other day. more of a rant really because I watched Dune on dvd. man does that movie need some big time clean up. Blue Velvet was a ok release as far as quality goes, but not much extra in the dvd.
You need to go region free. Lost Highway has been released with a great transfer and in true widescreen in Germany, like wise with Wild at Heart in the UK. There is also an extended version of Dune in Germany, but don't hold your breath for a great transfer on that-I've read terrible reviews about the video quality.

And which Blue Velvet edition are you talking about? I found the SE well worth making me double dip.

As for Twin Peaks, I've read elsewhere on here that Paramount now owns the US rights. Which sucks, because what TV shows do they consistenly put out other than Star Trek and CSI? I have to wonder how far Aritsan got on the digital transfer of the season two episodes. At one point, it looked like there was a solid chance we would see a part one of season two (artisan was going to put the second season out in two volumes) then nothing happened. That suggests to me much of the work may be done. Hell, at this point I'd pay David Lynch top dollar for this if he just released the series thru his website.

I was also under the impression that region 2 would see season two before region 1 would, but I have yet to see anything on region two. I think the better questions to ask are who holds the rights in region two and were are they at in getting this project close to completion?
Old 08-29-03, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You need to go region free. Lost Highway has been released with a great transfer and in true widescreen in Germany, like wise with Wild at Heart in the UK.
For Lost Highway, it's not just Germany but other Region 2s as well as Region 4 (I have the Region 4) - all decent anamorphic transfers. Sound is 2.0 though. Only N America got screwed on Lost Highway, but I bet there will be a re-release.

Wild at Heart Region 2 UK does not have the Lynch-approved transfer but the Region 1 release will have, when Lynch has finished working on it.

Lynch's work was always more widely appreciated in Europe than it was in N America (particularly prior to Mulholland Drive) and hence funded by European companies like CanalPlus in France. For this reason, when you take a look at the French releases of Lynch's movies, you'll see they really go to town. That French 2-disk Mulholland Drive SE is pretty special, for example.

I was also under the impression that region 2 would see season two before region 1 would, but I have yet to see anything on region two. I think the better questions to ask are who holds the rights in region two and were are they at in getting this project close to completion?
I think there's a good chance we'll see Season 2 released on Region 2 and Region 4.

And if the worst comes to the worst, I'll be hunting down that already-released Spanish complete boxset - the PQ may not be up to much but at least it is watchable. And if that's all there'll ever be... well ... gotta make do.
Old 08-29-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i dont have any problem with the pilot not coming with the season one R1 set, the set is awesome and i think youre missing out if you dont buy it because of no pilot, the pilot is available elsewhere, granted at a lesser quality. sure, i would have liked it, but we all know the rights issues, studio issues, sometimes makes things we want impossible.

as for FWWM, i think the major problem with this is David Lynch himself, he doesnt want the scenes just thrown on the DVD as supplements, he wants the money to redo them all and bring them up to the same quality as a finished film, which is apparantly very expensive, some rumors have it almost as much as him making a whole NEW movie. im sure thats probably exaggerated but since the scenes are supposedly over an hour long, im sure its not cheap.

i wish Lynch would just give and say screw it, its not happening, and throw the deleted scenes on the disc as they are, like many companies do. but being a Lynch fan, we all know how he is regarding his art, and i respect that, even if it goes against what i want.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.