Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Does anybody have any info on these Tom & Jerry DVDs?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-03, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HkFlix is selling some Taiwanese Tom & Jerry DVDs. Are these dvds legit? Are they uncensored? Tom & Jerry Dvds
Old 06-27-03, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

according to the site they are not censored (see information at the bottom). Of course, the one where Jerry impersonates cannibals probably is IMO they are worth getting as an in yer face to the filth that refuses to let these see the light of day! I need to get around buying them. Sure beats my VCDs!
Old 06-27-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Class316
Of course, the one where Jerry impersonates cannibals probably is
What happens in that one?
Old 06-27-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RichardW
What happens in that one?
This is “His Mouse Friday” where Jerry puts a blackface and pretends to be a cannibal. Basically all the sound effects Jerry makes are muted! How sad I was when I viewed it on my VCDs (copied from the LDs) when I didn’t hear Jerry say “peel da potatoes” like I always remembered him saying. Also towards the end actual black cannibals appear and their voices are muted (heaven forbid cannibals are offended).

There’s another episode where a black woman goes out to a party. This episode is the only other episode censored from the LDs. She was replaced by a White girl, but in the non-US versions it’s NOT censored and the original black woman appears. Which is really strange because all the other episodes where you have the black woman are intact on the LDs (and on my VCDs which are derived from the LDs).

So probably at the best case only the Cannibal Episode is censored, at the worst case these two are censored.

By the way AFAIK “His Mouse Friday” is censored no matter how where when or in what form you try to obtain it (even Kazaa)
Old 06-27-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do you know of any other place to buy these? what would the quality of these be like? would they have non-removable subs?

Last edited by ChrisHicks; 06-27-03 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-27-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ChrisHicks
do you know of any other place to buy these? what would the quality of these be like? would they have non-removable subs?
I was wondering about that too. I only have the VCDs which have no subs. But pretty much all recent DVDs made in Asia have removable subs, so I don’t see why this one should be burnt in. The best solution would be to buy one and see how good it is.
Old 07-23-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
According to: http://www.tomandjerryonline.com/index2.cfm

Good News on the DVD front! I was searching around for any info on the DVD, checking some of the animation new sites and found this chat session that was held at the Home Theater Forum... http://www.hometheaterforum.com/files/warner03.txt

The chat has a lot of information about Warner Brothers releases on DVD and on of the questions posed is about the Tom and Jerry DVD's. The response is near the middle of the chat session. So to save you the search for it (unless you are really interested in some of the forthcoming DVD release and even if you are not read the whole thing)..Anyway, this is Warner Brothers response to the question:

TOM & JERRY collections will arrive with uncut, complete theatrical version cartoons starting next year. This will include all the cartoons made by Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera for MGM between 1940-1957.

------------

After all the hoopola these past years, are we to actually believe they've had a change of heart over the issues with the black maid, silent cannibals, etc? I'll wait before I start believing.