Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Standing in the Shadows of Motown - good blind buy?

Old 06-23-03, 09:42 AM

Location: Home of the 2006 Rose Bowl Winners and Future National Champion Ohio State Buckeyes!

I'm a huge fan of the motown sound, and find this story to be intriguing. For $12 at Circuit City for a 2-disc set, figured it'd be worth checking out, but wanted other input...

As a fan of motown, I'm sure I'll enjoy the story, but wanted to see what others thought about this flick...

BD
Old 06-23-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Fan of Motown? You have NO excuse for not picking up this disc. An absolute must have.
Old 06-23-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can only re-iterate what TomOpus has said...as a fan of motown you shouldn't really have to think too much about picking this up!..it's a very fine release indeed and is a good and interesting documentary for someone who may even only have a moderate to mild interest in the whole motown sound etc.
Old 06-23-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Apparently this title is $6.99 after a $6 rebate at FYE, according to an ad in this week's Village Voice. I was going to post a thread on this in the Bargain forum, but the details of the ad are so vague that I'm not sure if it's a NYC-specific deal.
Old 06-23-03, 10:30 AM

Location: Home of the 2006 Rose Bowl Winners and Future National Champion Ohio State Buckeyes!
Thanks all for the feedback!

Will be picking it up today!

BD
Old 06-23-03, 12:08 PM

I still have many 2002 films to see, but right now I would say Standing in the Shadows of Motown is my favorite film (fiction or documentary) of the year.
Old 06-23-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This really is one of those ones you don't need reviews for. It's cheap and one of a kind. You aren't going to find out about these people from anything else, at least not on DVD.
Old 06-23-03, 12:39 PM

I really enjoyed this movie and the definate highlight for me was Joan Osborne's fantastic rendition of "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted" - wow! (Gonna run over to Fye after work).
Old 06-24-03, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was initially disappointed that the concert segments don't have the original singers. However, once I realized that the movie and concert is about the Funk Brothers, and not the name act, I began to enjoy it.

I never really liked Joan Osborne until I heard her crank out "Heatwave". WHOA!

I got this as a blind buy too, and was definitely not disappointed. Now, if only I can get the HighDef PC version of the movie on disc 2 to work under Linux
Old 06-27-03, 08:30 PM

Ok, let me just say this was EXCELLENT!

It was historical, it was funny, it was emotional, and very, very interesting and entertaining.

I found all the historical information to be of great interest, and the scenes of how they performed a lot of the music and what took place.

I had no problems with the covers of the music, though I think they could have done a better job finding other singers. Personal favorites included:

The aforementioned Heatwave by Joan Osborne and the one that really, got me moving, and got my toes tapping was the cover Jr. Walker and the All Stars Shotgun by Gerald Levert.

If you are a fan of the motown sound this is a MUST HAVE. If you're a fan of music, this is a must see!

Thanks to all who initially gave me feedback on this film. EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT. LOVED IT.
Old 06-27-03, 08:32 PM

After seeing this, I intend on picking up the movie The Temptations as well!
Old 06-27-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Excellent blind buy! Thanks for all the recommendations. I saw this last night and I couldn't get enough of it.

At CC, it's 10.99 and comes with an "exclusive" CD with 6 or 7 songs (haven't checked it out fully yet). I'm just not too sure how exclusive it is for CC.

Also, on the cover of this and on The Temptations, there's a promo which states "$5 rebate when you buy SitSoM and TT", for those interested in the other movie as well.