Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

I'm sure its been done, but What is the worst DVD of All Time?

Old 06-22-03, 09:34 PM
Rest in Peace

DVD "Scarface" came out with the lousiest grainy picture I ever did see!

Yours?

Last edited by danol; 06-22-03 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-22-03, 10:07 PM

It's probably not the worst dvd, but the picture on the Caddyshack dvd makes me naseous every time I see it.
Old 06-22-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What I have heard from other people here,the original release of the Highlander movie was bad beyond belief.I didn't buy it since I had it on laserdisc but later upgraded with the newer release.
Old 06-22-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Highlander. Worse than VHS. And it had the THX seal of quality to boot. I didn't even try and sell it when I upgraded. I just gave it away.
Old 06-22-03, 11:29 PM

If the THX seal of quality meant a damn bean there'd be no such thing as Episode I & II

As for the worst DVD - anything without Chapter stops pisses me off to no end
Old 06-22-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Highlander is the all time worst DVD. I used mine as a cup coaster for awhile, before tossing it into the garbage.

What I can't figure out is Widescreen Review magazine gave the DVD a very high rating in picture and sound. Just how did it get the THX certification?

Last edited by mike45; 06-22-03 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-23-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Have to agree with Highlander. Most scenes, especially the parking garage scene looked as if there was a sheet of wax paper in front of the screen. I've seen bootlegs made by camcorders with a dirty lense in theaters that looked better.
Old 06-23-03, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was watching Highlander with someone who had never seen the movie. When one of the characters falls the audio is normal at the start of the fall, trails off in the middle and then picks up at the end. Just wrecked the scene. Sent me off to see if the DVD was OK. Then saw here the horrible comments on it. Bad picture and sound. Absolutely trash DVD.
Old 06-23-03, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Strictly looking at discs released by the majors:
Warner Home Video's Outland is among the worst I've got, followed by MGM's craptacular release of Exodus. Also pretty poor is Universal's Hindenburg.

Odd about that last evaluation of Highlander, because I remember it as being oversharpened to a ridiculous degree, not smeary, blurry or dirty as is implied above... am I remembering badly?
Old 06-23-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nuff said.
Old 06-23-03, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The 1st Blob DVD was the worst of all time.

It looks like a bad copy of the movie copied off a bad channel (Air, not cable) onto VHS.

It is so bad it is hard to watch time.

I am sure that no one can beat this DVD as far as quality goes.

By the way, I love the movie and it scared my kids to the point they ran out of the room. My kids were 6 and 9 at the time.
Old 06-23-03, 01:31 AM

The original Star Wars Trilogy... because they don't exist!
Old 06-23-03, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Monsters Crash the Pajama Party Spook Show Spectacular

Even worse than the feature film is the menu, nothing is labled and you can't see any of the selections until you move the cursor over it. Press the arrow keys randomly and a ghost shape appears, or a owl, or a grave, or, or, or... So which is the feature and which are the 'bonus' films? Who knows? The DVD comes with 3D glasses- but I've no clue which of the films (each are only about 20-40 mins. long) to suffer through to try them out on.

I think I did actually find the title film one time, though. It had 5-10 mins. of a hypno-swirl thingy up on the screen to give you a headache while voiceover does it's worse Vincent Price impression, trying to scare the viewer by saying words like "Blood" and "Murder" and "Spine-tingle" as spooky as possible. Finally (thankfully) that sequence ends and some 50s 'Leave it to Beaver' type teens are walking around a 'haunted' house getting ready for bed. I couldn't make much farther than that- I've seen homemade spook houses in people's basements that looked scarier than this thing did.

I thought it would be a fun item to get just before Halloween (like the original Vincent Price House on Haunted Hill was the year before) . I was very wrong.
Old 06-23-03, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Final Countdown...I ended up buying it just to see how bad it was, and it lived up to the hype.
Old 06-23-03, 03:08 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by chrismcg
As for the worst DVD - anything without Chapter stops pisses me off to no end
Well, I guess you won't be buying Mulholland Drive then. 2.5 hour movie w/o scene selection. Joy for psychotic movie fanatics everywhere.
Old 06-23-03, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In addition to those mentioned, I think I lost some eyesight after watching the DC of Manhunter.
Old 06-23-03, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for over all level of DVD

Dirt Merchant.. http://us.imdb.com/Title?0164018

Yeah ok that it total B grade film but I like the movie. (I'm a fan of B grade films) Err but even sound is off on this one, way to low. Plus the encode looks like it was off an EP tape left in a car for 5 years. It really is that bad.. I've seen 100's of films of DVD and nothing have ever come this close to an out right crime of being on DVD imo of course.

I expect any DVD to at least be up to the level of say a home made tape.. sigh

as others have said, Scarface is pretty bad also as far as how the film looks.

Hum.. also if I rem right Jeepers Cheapers shows you the monster on the first main menu screen. Yeah fine on 2nd viewing, but sort of wrecks the film on some level on that first viewing. That put it pretty high on my "you suck" list of DVD's...
Old 06-23-03, 09:00 AM
Defunct Account

No, I've gotten you all beat....the original "Ran." Oh my God! Horrible transfer, worse than VHS. Burned in subtitles. lousy sound, AND a $30 retail price. It was the 2nd DVD I ever watched, and I almost returned my player. My taped off of TV VHS was better. Such fantastic movie deserved better too.

-Videophile
Old 06-23-03, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After just watching it, I think the Shawshank Redemption is a disgrace considering the quality and following of the film.
Old 06-23-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The worst I've seen is Blood Bath, 4 horror movies on 2 discs. A Brentwood release... the movies are cool but the transfer is worse than VHS. Just bad....

But I'd vote for Highlander, considering THX mastering.
Old 06-23-03, 10:09 AM

The WORST RELEASE EVER for a DVD of a Major Release of a Major Franchise from a Major Studio:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I submit to you:

Star Trek VI:The Undiscovered Country

This is a "bare bones" DVD which contains a non-anamorphic transfer of a non-OAR presentation of a non-theatrical version of the movie!!!

For the record, the transfer is presented at about 2.0:1;(the theatrical release was 2.35:1). The version presented includes a few additional extended scenes that were not present in the theatrical version (although this fact is not mentioned anywhere on the case). The transfer is non-anamorphic and the provided "letterboxing" is presented in a very unconventional manner: The transfer is *not* centered between the black bars (the lower black bar is substantially larger than the upper black bar); and it is therefore almost impossible to properly utilize a scaler for a 16:9 setup.

To state that Paramount should be ashamed that this remains the only extant version of the movie available on the DVD format is a vast understatement!!

Runner up for this category: Agree with "Rehevkor" above that the absence of a studio release of the original Star Wars Trilogy almost seven years into the DVD format is a complete and total disgrace! LucasFilm and 20th Century Fox are not being responsible here in the care and feeding of this franchise. And waiting to late 2006 for these films (as is currently planned) is totally unacceptable for a variety of reasons, one of which is that a lot of people will be wanting to view these films just prior to May 2005 when Episode III hits the theaters. It's amazing to me that in a business which acknowledges that the theatrical release of sequels is the best time to re-issue prior entries in the series to the home market, LucasFilm has decided to wait until the series has totally exhausted its theatrical run before releasing these films to DVD for the first time!

Last edited by Joseph B; 06-23-03 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-23-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by videophile
No, I've gotten you all beat....the original "Ran." Oh my God! Horrible transfer, worse than VHS. Burned in subtitles. lousy sound, AND a $30 retail price. It was the 2nd DVD I ever watched, and I almost returned my player. My taped off of TV VHS was better. Such fantastic movie deserved better too.

-Videophile
Took the words right out my mouth....and without wanting to open up a whole new debate again...STILL deserves a better treatment than what is currently available on the R1 market.
Old 06-23-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Final Countdown wins hands down with Highlander a close second.
Old 06-23-03, 11:49 AM

The Sting.
Old 06-23-03, 12:09 PM

Split Second

My VHS copy is clearer... VERY bad. But then again, it *IS* an HBO Home Video release, and I don;t think I've seen any quality stuff with that particular logo on the back...

I'm not counting Band of Brothers, Six Feet Under, or Sex in the City in that category....

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.