Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

When a movie is re-issued, do you keep previous one or not?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-03, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We all know all about the various Special, Deluxe, Director's Cut, Extended Version, Collection's Edition, Millennium Version, Ultimate Edition, Extreme Versions of a single movie.

My Quesiton is: When a movie is re-issued, do you also keep the previous version, or sell it off?

I just bought the new "T2 Extreme." However, it does not have DTS sound. Now, the previous "T2 Ultimate" did have DTS. Are most of you holding onto both versions, or getting rid of "ultimate edition"? To make the situation more of a dilema, the transfer is supposed to be much better on the new "T2 Extreme."

I hate to have duplicate DVDs of the same movie (takes up so much valuable shelf space).

What do you do? WHAT DO YOU DOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd only keep 2 versions of the same movie if I was a huge fan of the movie and both editions offered something valuable. For instance, if a Director's Cut of SCREAM is ever released in Region 1 I'd buy it and keep the boxed set.

For right now the T2 Ultimate Edition is good enough for me. I would like to see more screen shots that compare the two transfers though.
Old 06-21-03, 04:30 PM
Banned

The only two that I could think of off the top that I would keep would be Lord of the Rings and Full Contact.

The original release of LOTR contained an Enya video that the Extended version did not. Not to mention the fact that the original release was the one originally shown in the theater. Taking both into consideration .. well, that was enough to warrant a keeper. Hey, I'm a guy, and an Enya fan .... hmmm. No, no further comment.

Full Contact's original Tai Seng release had a 5.1 soundtrack, whereas the newer Columbia release does not. However, Columbia's release offers an anamorphic video presentation with a 2.0 channel audio mix. Tai Seng's release is not anamorphic. So, I'm keeping both for the two very different presentation values.

Otherwise, Bug's Life, Tron, Hunt For Red October among others are being or have been returned. So, and obviously, it depends on the differences between the releases.

Old 06-21-03, 04:34 PM

I had the original Orion release of Dances With Wolves, and I kept that when I bought the new one.

I guess it depends on the movie...
Old 06-21-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it warrants an upgrade, I'll get rid of the older version.
Old 06-21-03, 04:47 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally posted by JimRochester
If it warrants an upgrade, I'll get rid of the older version.
ditto.

...usually via eBay.
Old 06-21-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I usually trade my older ones, or better yet, give them away.

It gives me a sense of enormous well-being, and then I'm happy for the rest of the day, safe in the knowledge that there'll always be a bit of my heart devoted to it.
Old 06-21-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sell the previous version on eBay.

Rob
Old 06-21-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

it sometimes depends....but I like having a back-up, just in case green monster rot decides to start chewing on a disc. actually, I dont like tossing out or selling anything from my collection. I'll keep it all...at least for a while....if thats o.k.
Old 06-21-03, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by gutwrencher
it sometimes depends....but I like having a back-up, just in case green monster rot decides to start chewing on a disc. actually, I dont like tossing out or selling anything from my collection. I'll keep it all...at least for a while....if thats o.k.
Actually, it's NOT OKAY!!! Get rid of them right this moment, young man! LOL
Old 06-21-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So far, I haven't kept any originals if I've purchased an upgrade. Quite often, I'll sell the original on eBay as soon as the new edition is up for ordering anywhere, which works out quite well especially if it's an OOP that's being reissued.
Old 06-21-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Usually when I upgrade I put the original one on eBay. But there are a few exceptions...

The Exorcist is one that sticks out. I kept the 25th Ann. DVD when I upgraded to "The Version You Never Saw." I liked the documentary on the original.
Old 06-21-03, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
As some have mentioned, I'll only keep a re-issue if there's original stuff on both.

If the first was bare-bones, I give that copy away. It's a cool way to score points with friends with small collections... and very hassle-free
Old 06-21-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only buy a re-release if it has something worthwhile for me, e.g. I just bought the re-release of There's Something About Mary for the extra footage (my Reg 4 already had an anamorphic transfer).

I will only keep one version and sell the other one, no matter what. Usually sell the other one way before buying the new one, as it's easier to get rid of then at a higher price.
Old 06-21-03, 08:59 PM
Suspended

The only one I've ever kept was T2 Ultimate Edition.
Old 06-21-03, 10:16 PM

usually.
Old 06-21-03, 10:43 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DonnachaOne

It gives me a sense of enormous well-being, and then I'm happy for the rest of the day, safe in the knowledge that there'll always be a bit of my heart devoted to it.
PARKLIFE!
Old 06-21-03, 11:13 PM
Rest in Peace

When I do it I run over the disc with my wheelchair (crunch) then return it with my wheelchair and ask for another one. They all have 30 days to return and ask for another one. If they don't have older version they usually give me the newer version.

P.S. Before I start hitting my head like 'Joey' from "Hackers" whose computer was named Lucy. Just grab one of the stores really slow scooters and hope the sales person will believe you just busted your ankle. LOL

Hire me I have one 8 inch and 3-4 inch big scars from surgery, a 5 inch 3rd degree burn scar on my still crushed left ankle. You may fool them, but I am a guarantee! I own 2 wheelchairs besides my viper blue 4.5 MPH Electric Mobility #305 4 wheel scooter guaranteed to crush any disc, especially if I am riding it with a rear wheel 1.5 HP drive.
Old 06-21-03, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by danol

Hire me I have one 8 inch and 3-4 inch big scars from surgery, a 5 inch 3rd degree burn scar on my still crushed left ankle.

sounds like one of my fav Cronenberg films.

running over the discs...thats the way to do it danol. can I send you my Kung Pow dvd? just dont get me a replacement.
Old 06-22-03, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've done A LOT of DVD upgrading (at least 40-50) and I have only hung on to a few original DVD's. They include Silence Of The Lambs Criterion (kept for the great extras), Exorcist: 25th Anniversary (extras again), and Terminator 2 Ultimate.
Old 06-22-03, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the only movie i have 2 versions of is LOTR 1
Old 06-22-03, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the only movie i have 2 versions of is LOTR 1
Old 06-22-03, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Had to have both

This is Spinal Tap: Criterion & MGM
Old 06-22-03, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I either sell the original or give it to my mom (if she wants it). I don't have enough shelf space ot warrent two versions of the same movie.
Old 06-22-03, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Normally, no. I've sold at least 95% of DVDs that I've upgraded - some exceptions are Natural Born Killers, Silence of the Lambs and Dances with Wolves off the top of my head. Wolves for the DTS, Lambs because I loved the commentary and NBK - hmmm, I can't remember why.

But I normally sell the original as soon as I read the press release.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.