Whats your favorite straight to video DVD?

Old 06-20-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whats your favorite straight to video DVD?

Mine is Prophecy 2 & 3.You can never go wrong w/Christopher Walken.True the sound could of been better .
Old 06-20-03, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Boondock Saints. A VERY short theater run, I know, but minimal enough to be classified as a DTV.

And I have the feeling I'll think the same for Run Ronnie Run in September...
Old 06-20-03, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

- 100 Girls
- 100 Women

Both which got theatrical releases everywhere else except North America.
Old 06-21-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Donnie Darko
Ginger Snaps
Cube
Old 06-21-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

donnie darko wasnt straight to video in the states
Old 06-21-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bon Jovi: The Crush Tour live
Old 06-21-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by kaze0
donnie darko wasnt straight to video in the states
It's theatrical distribution in the States was so anemic I didn't think this would cause any dissent. As a caveat to my previous post then, technically, it was released, however, it was of such an absurdly short duration and so limited in regard to market that I'd hardly find this reason enough to exclude it from the list.
Old 06-21-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Speaking of Donnie Darko, I remember wanting to see it, and it actually came to the Cinemark in my neighborhood. However, I was bust the first week it was there, but that's okay. I'll just see it the second week, right?

Wrong. It was gone by Week 2. That was the shortest run of a movie I've seen in the multiplex era.
Old 06-22-03, 02:14 AM

Billy Jack does to Washington.
Old 06-22-03, 02:14 AM

I mean " ....goes to Washington"
Old 06-22-03, 03:06 AM

You know I can't remember the name of this direct to video movie that I really liked.

It starred Chris Sarandon and it was based on HP Lovecraft's THE STRANGE CASE OF CHARLES DEXTER WARD.

It's a real sleeper and it deserves to be on dvd. It certainly deserves for me to remember it's title.

Anybody know the movie I'm talking about?
Old 06-22-03, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Both Donnie Darko and Cube got theatrical releases in the States. Granted both weren't big theatrical releases, but they don't count as direct-to-video as they got a theatrical release. Now if it only got a few festival screenings then went to video, I can see your case. But both of those films were released by studios for a limited amount of time then put on DVD so even if the release was "so anemic" your argument holds no support as both did get theatrical releases. The point of "straight to video" releases is that the film skips theatrical release and goes straight to video.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 06-22-03 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-22-03, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
The point of "straight to video" releases is that the film skips theatrical release and goes straight to video.
I think most of us here in the states would classify both of these films as doing exactly this. If may have been released, but most certainly not in my state, nor in the state nearest to it, nor the state nearest to it etc.. As far as I'm concerned, and by that I mean from my own selfish and myopic viewpoint, they did indeed go straight to video however, in an effort for peace and harmoney, or perhaps simply to placate, I'll rely on the empirical defense of the eminently quotable DonnachaOne from an above post, "A VERY short theater run, I know, but minimal enough to be classified as a DTV." Out of simple curiosity, how many here actully got to view either of these films at their local theater on their initial US theatrical runs anyway?

Last edited by meritocracy; 06-22-03 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-22-03, 08:54 AM

I can't believe no one has mentioned this title yet:

The Animatrix

Both a tremendous "back story archive" for the Matrix movies as well as an anime "tour-de-force".

It's the best quality direct-to-DVD offering I've ever been exposed to.

(BTW, There are rumors out there that the next Star Trek movie may be direct-to-DVD. That market is getting huge, as evidenced by the many Disney direct-to-DVD sequels, a few of which have at least been "decent".)

Last edited by Joseph B; 06-22-03 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-22-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by meritocracy
I think most of us here in the states would classify both of these films as doing exactly this. If may have been released, but most certainly not in my state, nor in the state nearest to it, nor the state nearest to it etc.. As far as I'm concerned, and by that I mean from my own selfish and myopic viewpoint, they did indeed go straight to video however, in an effort for peace and harmoney, or perhaps simply to placate, I'll rely on the empirical defense of the eminently quotable DonnachaOne from an above post, "A VERY short theater run, I know, but minimal enough to be classified as a DTV." Out of simple curiosity, how many here actully got to view either of these films at their local theater on their initial US theatrical runs anyway?
Speak not for me, because as a statesider, I would NOT classify it as such. What the hell is so hard to grasp here? Commerical release, in one theater for one day, is commerical release. Direct to video is direct to video. Consult the producers of Red Rock West and The Last Seduction, who's films generated a modicum of Oscar buzz in their time, but were shut out because they did not premiere theatrically(but on cable instead). By your definition, Batman would be a theatrical release for me, since I didn't get myself to the theater to see it. Donnie Darko was advetised minimally on television and radio, but the funny thing was, stories about planes killing people mysteriously weren't getting great buzz two months inside of 9/11.
Old 06-22-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't have any direct-to-DVD releases yet, but in anticipation of getting them:
Beyond Re-Animator due out somethime this year.
An Evening With Kevin Smith
Old 06-22-03, 02:40 PM
Banned

If nobody has seen this do yourselfs a favor and check out Disney's HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME 2.
It's a much better story than the 1st one.
Old 06-22-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by meritocracy
Out of simple curiosity, how many here actully got to view either of these films at their local theater on their initial US theatrical runs anyway?
I saw Donnie Darko at my local theater twice during its initial run and both times there were no more than five people there. For those near D.C. it still plays every weekend, at midnight, at Visions Cinema.
Old 06-22-03, 07:48 PM

I second Boondock Saints. Bad timing for them with the Columbine shootings, considering their main characters killed people while wearing trenchcoats. Great movie though.
Old 06-22-03, 08:51 PM

Dog Soldiers, although Ginger Snaps was a close second.
Old 06-22-03, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by late_but_earnest
You know I can't remember the name of this direct to video movie that I really liked.

It starred Chris Sarandon and it was based on HP Lovecraft's THE STRANGE CASE OF CHARLES DEXTER WARD.

It's a real sleeper and it deserves to be on dvd. It certainly deserves for me to remember it's title.

Anybody know the movie I'm talking about?
The movie you're thinking of is "The Resurrected":
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0105242
Old 06-22-03, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by William Fuld
I saw Donnie Darko at my local theater twice during its initial run and both times there were no more than five people there. For those near D.C. it still plays every weekend, at midnight, at Visions Cinema.
I saw both Cube and Donnie Darko during their initial runs in NYC. Like DC, we have a theatre here that plays Donnie Darko every weekend. The name escapes me. Ginger Snaps had a theatrical release here as well, but I think it was after the video release if memory serves, so I would count it as straight-to-video.

As for favorite DTVs, Ginger Snaps, Dog Soldiers and The Eternal would be on my list. The Eternal has a pretty poor story, but the acting (Christopher Walken in top form) and directing are exemplary...
Old 06-23-03, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My favorite would have to be Lady and Tramp II, just because I do not see many Direct To DVD movies, most of them are junk. I have 2 kids, so we seem to rent the DTD Disney stuff.
Old 06-23-03, 09:17 AM

Freeway....Reese is so hot is this flick
Old 06-23-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dagon
Dog Soldiers
Ginger Snaps

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.