Murder By Death missing scenes?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-03, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know of at least one scene missing from the Murder By Death DVD, but I think I recall another.

IMDB lists the scene at the end where Sherlock Holmes arrives in his car asking directions, which I remember. This is not on the DVD.

But I also seem to remember a scene after Twain's body is discovered. First, Wang makes Willie cover the body as the rest of the group goes back to the drawing room. That's in there. But at some point, in the drawing room scene Willie comes back in having discovered a clue in Twain's hand. That scene is NOT on the DVD or listed on IMDB.

To back up my memory, as the group leaves the dining room and Willie begins to cover the body, he pauses and leans over looking intently at something on the body. Then it cuts to everyone in the drawing room. And eventually Willie is just there with everyone else.

Does anyone else remember this?

Is it on the laserdisc?
Old 06-20-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Murder By Death missing scenes?

Originally posted by Danger1313
I know of at least one scene missing from the Murder By Death DVD, but I think I recall another.

IMDB lists the scene at the end where Sherlock Holmes arrives in his car asking directions, which I remember. This is not on the DVD.

But I also seem to remember a scene after Twain's body is discovered. First, Wang makes Willie cover the body as the rest of the group goes back to the drawing room. That's in there. But at some point, in the drawing room scene Willie comes back in having discovered a clue in Twain's hand. That scene is NOT on the DVD or listed on IMDB.

To back up my memory, as the group leaves the dining room and Willie begins to cover the body, he pauses and leans over looking intently at something on the body. Then it cuts to everyone in the drawing room. And eventually Willie is just there with everyone else.

Does anyone else remember this?

Is it on the laserdisc?
I certainly remember the Holmes scene from a long time ago. I'm pretty sure the estate of Doyle nixed the scene being included in any future version of the movie.

I don't know if it was included on the laserdisc, however.
Old 06-20-03, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Danger1313 - I know exactly what you're talking about. It has bugged me for years. It has been one of my all-time favorite movies for many years. I used to watch it a lot when I was little (15 - 20 years ago). Infact, somewhere along the way I am sure I have seen the scene you are talking about (when they used to show the movie on a movie channel called 'Spotlight').
It's funny that you bring this up because I've been wondering about it too, for a long time.
Let's hope we get an answer on these boards!
JDF
Old 06-20-03, 09:20 PM

I remember a scene where Willie says he's found a clue all the others were unable to find themselves- he boasts about it and they quickly dismiss his findings- is that what you're talking about? I believe there were a number of cut bits added for the TV version which are missing from the video/DVD. Right now it's all a blur in my mind and I can't think of anything specifically missing besides what's been mentioned but there are a few things.
Old 06-20-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Deleted scenes are often added back into TV edits of films, usually to pad the running length to the right amount of time with commercials.

Blazing Saddles had some scenes added into the TV cut.

I was saddened when watching my DVD of Repo Man to find that one sceen I really loved, and another that ties up a plot hole, were actually absent from the theatrical cut of the film.
Old 06-20-03, 11:33 PM

Yes both of the scenes you mention are on an old tape I have from TV. I love the Sherlock Holmes joke at the end. Things like this drive me crazy. It is a great joke and is a shame new viewers have to miss out.

And yes there were more "Mongo" scenes in the tv version of "Blazing Saddles".
Old 06-21-03, 02:59 AM

I never saw this on television, but I heard about this scene before. I do know it wasn't in the movie when it first ran in the theaters.
Old 06-21-03, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by Friday13thuncut
I remember a scene where Willie says he's found a clue all the others were unable to find themselves- he boasts about it and they quickly dismiss his findings- is that what you're talking about?
That's exactly the scene I'm talking about.

And cinephan, how positive are you that it wasn't in the theatrical release? I thought this scene and the Sherlock Holmes scenes were seen in the theater.

Does anyone have the laserdisc? Are these scenes on there?
Old 06-21-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Scenes in the trailers don't always make it into the final cut of the film. The trailer for LA Story has a "I'm calling from my car" joke that's not in the actual film. That's one reason people like having the trailers for a film included on the DVD.
Old 06-23-03, 09:31 AM

Sure. But these were scenes in the film. Considering the the content and context of the two scenes they wouldn't have been in the trailer.
Old 06-23-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For what it's worth, TCM is showing this film tomorrow, Tuesday 24, 8:00 EST.