DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Best DVD magazine? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/300254-best-dvd-magazine.html)

Bokasmo 06-19-03 10:25 PM

Best DVD magazine?

What is the best magazine that I could subscribe to, that would review DVDs, show upcoming releases, and also very importantly, releases of special edition, limited editions, box sets, etc?

Any suggestion would be great. I'm looking to subscribe...

Thanks,
BOKASMO

pdjennings 06-19-03 10:31 PM

Honestly.... the internet gives you better & faster information. Everytime a new DVD magazine comes out... I look through and see stuff they call news... that I read about weeks ago on dvdtalk, davisdvd, dvdfile, etc.

DonnachaOne 06-19-03 10:34 PM

Use this forum. The best source.

Guess what's your friend?

What's your favorite movie/DVD Magazine?

Welcome to the forum, anyway!

queendvd 06-20-03 08:17 AM

Hands down, the best choice IMO is
DVDEtc.

renaldow 06-20-03 08:39 AM

For magazines, DVDEtc is great. But, as stated already, you'll find more up to date information and greater detail online.

marty888 06-20-03 08:50 AM

The only reason to read a DVD magazine is if you want to get a feeling of superiority - if you're a regular here at DVDTalk, you'll constantly be thinking <i>"<b>I</b> knew that!"</i>

Steps 06-20-03 09:31 AM

I like the magazines. It's hard to take my desktop to the bathroom.

dgc 06-20-03 09:58 AM

http://www.widescreenreview.com/medi...s/74cvrspl.gif
http://db.widescreenreview.com/backi...key=32786&-img

I find that "Widescreen Review" has the most current and comprehensive dvd reviews of all the DVD related mags not to mention a great upcoming list by future weeks that includes the specs of the upcoming dvds. They also have a huge comprehensive internet site/Webzine (subscriber & non-subscriber versions).

Although I subscribe to DVD Etc., I'm not a big fan of their dvd reviews. They are some what dated. I do enjoy their equipment reviews though. The same goes for Sound & Vision and Home Theater Magazine.

The WSR Webzine now has all these special features for subscribers only:
- Industry News, updated every other day.
- The complete searchable DVD Movie Guide reviews and 225+ search field specifications (that are correct) for each DVD title!
• Every current and past WSR Equipment Review with pictures and specifications!
• Selected back issue articles.
- Industry News, updated every other day.
- Industry Gateway, with a custom installer directory, a section devoted to Manufacturers Speak Out, select links to Web sites, and a current listing home theatre-related shows and events coming to your area.
• Newsletter updates of what’s new and hot on the site!
• Access to the WSR Readers’ Forum.
• Full access to the “Ographies™” so you can find any movie that is theatrically released in 70mm, Dolby® Digital Surround EX™/DTS-ES®, digital cinema, 8-channel version of Sony Dynamic Digital Sound® (SDDS®), a schedule of current and upcoming movies in theatrical release (with projection and sound format notations), DVDs and LaserDiscs with THX® Digitally Mastered and THX Optimode™, DTS Digital Surround™, and Dolby Digital.
• Official product specifications for both new and discontinued DVD players, subwoofers, power amplifiers, surround processors, receivers, and more!
- The complete WSR Home Theatre Technical Glossary with over 1,100 definitions of industry jargon.
• Advanced information on articles in upcoming WSR issues!
• Advanced sign-up for WSR events in our Reference Holosonic™ Home Theatre Laboratory. (Our seats sell fast!)
- DVD Release News for discs that are coming soon!
- Special contests for DVDs and more, just for our subscribers!
• Dedicated servers to speed your access!

Non-Subscriber Access:
The regular “no charge” access features of the Webzine will now consist of:
• A limited version of the searchable DVD Movie Guide reviews using the 225+ search field engine. While non-subscribers will be able to search DVD movies using the advanced 225+ search fields, the results will be limited to our criteria search data result fields, not the full detail information provided by the advanced 225+ field search.
• Industry News, updated every other day.
• Industry Gateway, with a custom installer directory, a section devoted to Manufacturers Speak Out, select links to Web sites, and a current listing of home theatre-related shows and events coming to your area.
• The complete WSR Home Theatre Technical Glossary with over 1,100 definitions of industry jargon.
• DVD Release News for discs that are coming soon!

Here's a sample review from WSR:

WSR Detailed Review

Gangs Of New York

Genre: Drama

Reviewed In Issue 74 (July 2003) Of Widescreen Review®

Stars

Leonardo DiCaprio, Daniel Day-Lewis, Cameron Diaz, Jim Broadbent, John C. Reilly, Henry Thomas & Brendan Gleeson

Internet Links

http://www.gangsofnewyork.com

WSR Picture Rating: 3.5
DD Sound Rating: 3.5
DTS Sound Rating: 4
Critics' Composite Score: 4

WSR Narrative Review

Story Synopsis:
In "Gangs Of New York," director Martin Scorsese brings to life the graphic story of the deluge of Irish immigrants into turn-of-the-century New York City and their clash with American born immigrant descendants. Leonardo DiCaprio stars as Amsterdam Vallon, an immigrant who seeks revenge for the death of his father at the hands of Bill The Butcher (Day-Lewis). Cameron Diaz stars as the vivacious woman who comes between them. (Suzanne Hodges)

DVD Picture:
The anamorphically enhanced 2.35:1 DVD picture exhibits a very nicely rendered color scheme that puts the viewer into the late 1800s setting of the movie. Colors are rich and well-balanced, with natural fleshtones and lots of browns and deep blacks. Images are generally sharp and detailed, with fine background definition and clarity, though some scenes are a bit soft. Contrast and shadow delineation are accurately rendered. Unfortunately, an unacceptable amount of edge enhancement is often present, and pixelization can cause the breakup of finer details and create an unpleasant “digital” appearance. (Suzanne Hodges)

Soundtrack:
The 5.1 sound mix has been generally well-produced with often aggressive, immersive soundstage engagement. Fidelity is also commendable, though not quite amongst the most distinguished productions, and also the sonic character tends to exhibit some stridence. This is especially noticeable in Leonardo DiCaprio’s narrative, which can sound somewhat forward and bright. The sound mix has been mastered at a pretty substantial recording level. The dialogue, while quite natural in tonality, has the hard-sounding consonants, which compromises listening comfort. Still, the sense of holosonic™ spaciousness and envelopment is compelling throughout. There’s also considerably wide dynamic range. The music seems to be the standout element of the soundtrack, fully engaging the spatial soundstage and having abundant body in the low-end. Deep bass is sometimes distinct and poignant with notable LFE channel activity. The DTS® Digital Surround™ presentation is somewhat preferred in terms of the low-end presence and dimensional coherence of the soundstaging. (Perry Sun)

This Disc Contains The Following WSR-Rated Superb Qualities:
Superb Cinematography

Special Features

An audio commentary track by Martin Scorsese is available with the movie, which is spread over two discs due to a lengthy 166-minute running time. Features on Disc One of this two-disc set include a nine-minute set design featurette, a 22-minute Exploring The Sets Of Gangs Of New York documentary with optional 360 degree views of the current set, an eight-minute costume design featurette, a 14-minute History Of The Five Points, an on-screen Five Points study guide with an introduction by Luc Sante and a glossary of terms, and two trailers. Disc Two adds The Discovery Channel’s 35-minute program Uncovering The Real Gangs Of New York and U2’s music video for “The Hands That Built America.”

WSR DVD-ROM Review

N/A

WSR Odyssee Motion Simulator Review

N/A

DVD General Information

(Studio/Distributor): Miramax Home Entertainment

(Catalog Number): 24017

(MPAA Rating): R

(Rating Reason): Intense strong violence, sexuality/nudity and language

(Retail Price): $29.99

(DVD Type): Two-disc set: DVD-9 x 2

(Widescreen Edition): Yes

(Full Screen Edition): No

(Anamorphic Widescreen): Yes

(Running Time In Minutes): 166

(Color Type): Color

(Chaptered/Scene Access): Yes

(Closed Captioned): Yes

(Regional Coding): 1

(Year): 2002

(Theatrical Release): Yes

(Direct-To-Video Release): No

(DVD Release Date): 07/01/03

(THX® Digitally Mastered): No

Credits Information

(Director): Martin Scorsese

(Screenplay/Written By): Jay Cocks, Steven Zaillian & Kenneth Lonergan (Screenplay) Jay Cocks (Story) Howard Shore (Music) Michael Ballhaus, ASC (Director Of Photography) Dante Ferretti (Production Designer) Thelma Schoonmaker, ACE (Editor) Michael Ovitz, Bob Weinstein, Rick Yorn, Michael Hausman & Maurizio Grimaldi (Executive Producer)

(Story): Jay Cocks

(Music): Howard Shore

(Director Of Photography): Michael Ballhaus, ASC

(Production Designer): Dante Ferretti

(Visual Effects): Industrial Light & Magic, Custom Film Effects

(Costume Designer): Sandy Powell

(Editor): Thelma Schoonmaker, ACE

(Supervising Sound Editors): Philip Stockton

(Re-Recording Mixers): Tom Fleischman & Eugene Gearty

(Executive Producers): Michael Ovitz, Bob Weinstein, Rick Yorn, Michael Hausman & Maurizio Grimaldi

(Co-Producers): Joe Reidy & Laura Fattori

(Producers): Alberto Grimaldi & Harvey Weinstein

(Academy Awards): None

DVD Picture Information

(Principal Photography): Super 35

(Theatrical Aspect Ratio): 2.39:1

(Measured DVD Anamorphic Aspect Ratio): 2.35:1

(Measured DVD Letterbox Aspect Ratio): 2.35:1

DVD Sound Information

(DVD Soundtrack): DTS 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1

(Theatrical Sound): DTS, SDDS & Dolby Digital

(Theatrical Re-Issue Soundtrack): NA

(DTS Bit Rate): 754

(Dolby Digital Bit Rate): 448

(Additional Languages): French (Dolby Digital 5.1)

(Subtitles): English

(WSR Superb Sound Qualities): Aggressive Surround
Surround Bass Below 50Hz
Holosonic Soundfield

greatjedi 06-20-03 12:33 PM

Originally posted by Steps
I like the magazines. It's hard to take my desktop to the bathroom.
I just use my laptop and a long phone cord. I don't need magazines. ;)

Widescreen Review :thumbsup:

Romerojpg 06-20-03 01:02 PM

All the american magazines are really bad, I hate them all. the best dvd magazine is a UK magazine called DVDREVIEW, its more like a novel compared to the pathetic american magazines I have read, but it doesnt have massive R1 coverage so I guess you lot wont care for it. :)

queendvd 06-20-03 01:09 PM

Well, if we're throwing in international mags, my favorite is Total DVD. I've read it a few times in B&N (pretty steep at 7.99) and have thorougly enjoyed it each time. But like Romero says, R1 coverage is pretty non-existent. If there was an American version of it I'd love it!