Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Anyone know if Ninja Scroll 10th Anniversary will be uncensored?

Old 06-18-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only uncensored versions are the US and Jap ones, all others are censored. Anyone know if the upcoming US one will remain intact? Cause I want to sell my copy on ebay before the new one comes out.

Yes I know thereís the logic ďbut the bare bones one is intact why not the upcoming oneĒ. But you never know
Old 06-18-03, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you're curious, there's a Ninja Scroll tv series currently running on Japanese tv. Some sustitled sets are on sale on Ebay. Its not up to the standards of the original movie but its still alot of fun.
Old 06-18-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The TV show is terrible.. AWFUL. no no wait.. GOD AWFUL! but please don't tell someone to go to ebay to get them. the show will be out by the end of the year and is the reason why there was a mean backlash against Anime Junkies who illegally were doing fansubs of them.

As for it being uncensored.. I see no reason why it wouldn't be censored. If it was going to be censored then we would have already heard about it and the backlash against doing it censored.

but man, does the TV show suck.. we have a sequel to the original to look for in a year or so.
Old 06-19-03, 12:42 AM
Mod Emeritus

WIll it be widescreen and if not, is 4x3 it's OAR?
Old 06-19-03, 07:27 AM

The OAR is 4:3 (apparently Ninja Scroll is an OVA, not a movie). However, there are indications that the new release will be cropped to 16:9, which if true is one of the sillier ideas Manga Entertainment have come up with (and that's saying something). Then again, they've said in the past that the 4:3 version will be included... whether that means just the 4:3 version, or the 4:3 version plus a cropped 16:9 version, remains to be seen.
Old 06-19-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Philip Reuben
The OAR is 4:3 (apparently Ninja Scroll is an OVA, not a movie). However, there are indications that the new release will be cropped to 16:9, which if true is one of the sillier ideas Manga Entertainment have come up with (and that's saying something). Then again, they've said in the past that the 4:3 version will be included... whether that means just the 4:3 version, or the 4:3 version plus a cropped 16:9 version, remains to be seen.
Are you serious? Damn! If I keep it then it will be worth nothing when the new one comes out, and if I sell it now I might get screwed if the new one is censored and/or not OAR.

Iím going to back it up and sell it on ebay! If the new version is inferior I still got the good one, if itís superior I already sold the old one and will probably get the new one. This way I win on all fronts!
Old 06-19-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Wait wait wait.. why are you talking about how much it "would" be worth. Simple answer my friend, this dvd isn't going to buy you a retirement home in florida. Glad to hear you are going to "Back it up" and then sell the original.. Lets put it this way. the new one sounds to be better then the one currently out. end of story. You might as well sell your original copy since the general rule is the Re-release of a film automaticlly drops the value of the original. I can't see why it wouldn't in this case either.

If the original wasn't censored in either japan or America. the chances of it being censored now is waaay low.
Old 06-19-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Wait wait wait.. why are you talking about how much it "would" be worth.
There's a difference between selling it for $10+ and $1+. Better get rid for it for $10+ now.

Lets put it this way. the new one sounds to be better then the one currently out. end of story. You might as well sell your original copy since the general rule is the Re-release of a film automaticlly drops the value of the original. I can't see why it wouldn't in this case either.

If the original wasn't censored in either japan or America. the chances of it being censored now is waaay low.
Well nowthereís the risk of having it 16x9! Imagine how horrible!

Plus itís only single layer so I can make a 1:1 backup on one disc.
Old 06-19-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes, but the moment you get rid of the original, that legal back up copy of it becomes an illegal copy of it.
Old 06-19-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I personally would keep the one you have and not buy the new one. We shouldn't support the blatant cropping of a title just as a sales tactic. It is ridiculous.
Old 06-19-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, but the moment you get rid of the original, that legal back up copy of it becomes an illegal copy of it.
That changes everything

Originally posted by fnordboy
I personally would keep the one you have and not buy the new one. We shouldn't support the blatant cropping of a title just as a sales tactic. It is ridiculous.
We donít know if thatíll happen.
Old 06-19-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ninja Scroll came out early in dvd history. It wasn't filled to the brim with extra's for two reasons:

1.) different language it's harder to come up with extra's to this let alone put them on it to save production cost

2.) Anime is a niche market as it is.. even more so back then, then now a days.

3.) Expense. cost was like 30 bucks. not the best but for the time, it was well priced.

Now this is the 10th Anniversary.. why wouldn't you want a special edition of it? this isn't just another "double dip" since it has had some time in the making. You can't compare this double dip to say a style of army of darkness double dip.
Old 06-19-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

2.) Anime is a niche market as it is.. even more so back then, then now a days.
And even then they STILL censor sometimes!! For instance Ninja Scroll has the rape scene and many other violent bits taken off from all non US/JAP releases. And SF2 Anime has NO uncensored version outside Japan (/me pets his 100% uncensored SF2 Anime widescreen DivX with English subs)
Old 06-19-03, 01:43 PM

Now this is the 10th Anniversary.. why wouldn't you want a special edition of it? this isn't just another "double dip" since it has had some time in the making. You can't compare this double dip to say a style of army of darkness double dip.
Well I wouldn't want it because I personally can't stand Ninja Scroll

Besides that, I can understand the lure of the extras, it would probably do me in too I must admit, if it was a series/movie i liked. I just don't like the fact they are cropping to widescreen what is not widescreen. It sets a bad precedent, and with Mangles..err..Manga's track record on some of their other releases it is just more ammo for the increasing mob against them.
Old 06-19-03, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by Class316
We donít know if thatíll happen.
Well Manga has said it will be 16x9, the OAR is 4:3 it is an OVA. So it will/has happened.

They are including the original 4:3 version as well, but from my understanding they are not remastering that. So only the cropped version will be the remastered version.

Look around on animeondvd.com you will find the threads there on it. Though, there were more informative ones before the move to another forum software.
Old 06-19-03, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

where can i pre order this again?
Old 06-19-03, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
where can i pre order this again?
Right Stuf is a good anime store:

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6...9335/4/0/-1901

Decent price too, but could probably find it cheaper.
Old 06-19-03, 03:15 PM

For the record. The Ninja Scroll TV show will be coming to the US in September.
Old 06-19-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

and it's sucky suck suck suck...
Old 06-19-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well Manga has said it will be 16x9, the OAR is 4:3 it is an OVA. So it will/has happened.

They are including the original 4:3 version as well, but from my understanding they are not remastering that. So only the cropped version will be the remastered version.
Oh I see. Correct me if Iím wrong but I think this must be the first time 4:3 and 16:9 in one DVD where the 16:9 is actually the BAD one

What a stupid waste of time to put it. I mean, at least in the case of pan and scan you can argue that they want to sell to the average person, but what is the excuse here?
Old 06-19-03, 04:27 PM

And even then they STILL censor sometimes!! For instance Ninja Scroll has the rape scene and many other violent bits taken off from all non US/JAP releases.
In all fairness, that's the fault of the BBFC, not Manga Entertainment.
Old 06-19-03, 05:27 PM

What a stupid waste of time to put it. I mean, at least in the case of pan and scan you can argue that they want to sell to the average person, but what is the excuse here?
Yep, but they probably figured they could sell it as more of a replacement to the old disc (besides the extras) because it is in widescreen now. People will jsut assume that it is the correct OAR since it is a movie, plus a lot of anime these days (tv shows and OVAs) are being released in widescreen since that is their OAR.

It was only to sell it more IMO.
Old 06-19-03, 06:44 PM
Suspended

Look around on animeondvd.com you will find the threads there on it. Though, there were more informative ones before the move to another forum software.
I never saw a source confirm this. I've seen LOTS of posts on AoD that jumped to the conclusion that there would be a 16x9 version based on some vague PR from Manga.
Old 06-20-03, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by trigun
I never saw a source confirm this. I've seen LOTS of posts on AoD that jumped to the conclusion that there would be a 16x9 version based on some vague PR from Manga.
I am pretty sure this was confirmed by a manga rep on the forums or at a con. I didn't pay much attention to it since I am not a ninja scroll fan though so I can't point anyone in the absolute direction.
Old 06-20-03, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by trigun
Same here, which is why I was careful not to say that this would definitely be the case.