DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Home Theater Set up DVD? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/299906-home-theater-set-up-dvd.html)

PittsburghKidd 06-18-03 10:35 AM

Home Theater Set up DVD?

Could anyone give me the name of a Home Theater Set Up DVD. I remember DVD Talk mentioning a new one coming out soon, but I can seem to fin any info on it, or any others, for that matter. Now that I finally have a Home Theater system worthy of tweaking with one of these DVD's, I would love to try one out.

Thanks

Brain Stew 06-18-03 10:39 AM

I would recommend you get the new one coming out, Digital Video Essentials, or get Avia Essentials if you simply cannot wait.

renaldow 06-18-03 10:51 AM

Sound & Vision is comparatively inexpensive and should also do the trick.

FreshOne 06-18-03 11:11 AM

I've got the old Video Essentials, and it is pretty nice. I can only assume the new one will be even better. It should be a bit cheaper this time around too. Avia is supposed to be better, but I bet the new Digital Video Essentials will beat Avia. We'll see!

PittsburghKidd 06-18-03 12:29 PM

Thank you!!!!

This was exactly what I was looking for. I will hold out for the new Video Essentials, which has a release date of July 15. I have heard good things about this upcoming disc, I just couldn't remember when it was coming out, or its title.

Thank you, all!

Josh Z 06-18-03 06:43 PM

If you have equipment now, you should not wait to calibrate it. The Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up disc is only $18 and will give you all the basics. Video Essentials and Avia are designed to be more comprehensive, for the hardcore technophiles who like to constantly tweak their equipment.

You are not getting the best out of your equipment if you do not go through at least the basics of calibration as soon as possible. You also run the risk of burn-in on a rear projection TV screen if you have your contrast and brightness set too high (the factory defaults are always too high).

Snowlarbear 06-18-03 07:47 PM

or if you're really poor, you can just use the THX calibration feature that comes with a lot of the THX certified dvd's out there.

Frank S 06-19-03 12:44 AM

Anybody know where to buy the three color filters they include in the AVIA DVD? Mine somehow have been misplaced and the DVD is not nearly as useful without it!

TheKobra 06-19-03 01:17 AM

Go rent the disc at BBV.

aam1 06-19-03 07:04 AM

Originally posted by Snowlarbear
or if you're really poor, you can just use the THX calibration feature that comes with a lot of the THX certified dvd's out there.
These only set your system up for the particular disc. I've noticed a few to be slightly different. Not exactly a 'standard' then.

PittsburghKidd 06-19-03 08:07 AM

Thank you

I really appreciate the feedback. I do like to do a good deal of tweaking on my own, so I will hold out. It is only a month, and to use a disc that was written for standards 3 years ago seems kind of pointless if I only have to wait one month.

I have a Sony 36hs500 direct view, so I don't have to to worry about screen burn....in fact, even though it make an a loud noise when turned on, it is nice that it Degauss' each time. I don't know how necessary, but at least no screen burn.

I am really looking for a disc that will let me truely tweak my system to make it shine. I know I can set my receiver up better, and I am sure, even though I like my picture on TV, (the Tonight Show in HD is the most amazing picture I have ever seen), I know I can do better.

What is the point of buying all this expensive equipment if you can't tweak the hell out of it.......I mean, who buys this stuff mirely to actually watch TV and DVDs???? hehehehhehehe