DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Problem with Adobe Elements: Ovelapping text. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/299850-problem-adobe-elements-ovelapping-text.html)

JoeyOhhhh 06-18-03 12:42 AM

Problem with Adobe Elements: Ovelapping text.

I figure I drop the question in here than in Computer forum since most of us cover guys use Adobe in one form or another.

Anyways, starting last night, for some weird reason, whenever I try to type out a paragraph, when I hit enter to start a new line, the text between both lines overlaps, and I have to hit enter twice to get it looking right.

I haven't played with the text options, anyone know how to stop this.

Timmio 06-18-03 02:37 AM

Sounds like a Leading issue...

It sounds like you have to adjust the leading in the "Character" settings tabbed box.

Here is a picture of the leading control in the type settings...
http://home.insightbb.com/~pixarman/...rs/leading.jpg

Just play with the settings until you get the correct spacing you need.

Hope that helps...

Timmio
------------

duz 06-18-03 05:26 AM

That mysteriously happened to me once, took me a few hours to figure out that the above was what was wrong. Once i saw it wasn't set to auto i fixed that and it went back to normal.

Michael Corvin 06-18-03 08:32 AM

To get the idea of leading I tend to use the same number as my font. If use a size 10 font, I use a size 10 leading. 6 font = 6 leading, and so on.

JoeyOhhhh 06-18-03 11:03 AM

Thanks guys for the help. But I still have a problem. Adobe Elements doesn't have that character menu anywhere, so I can't change it to auto.

Michael Corvin 06-18-03 11:14 AM

try seleting the text and hitting Control-T (windoze), command-t (mac).

those are the hot keys to bring it up.

JoeyOhhhh 06-18-03 11:24 AM

Still no good, Control-T brings up a transform option.

Timmio 06-18-03 01:56 PM

I just downloaded the trial version of Adobe Elements and played around with the type settings.

Unfortunately there is no control over leading, at least I couldn't find any. I did some searching in the help files and everything, but no go...

I'm not sure how the spacing got mixed up, it seems to stay on the auto function..or what would be the auto setting in Photoshop.

Maybe you can email me an "Elements" file where the text is messing up on you and I'll load it up on my machine and see if I can find a work around..

Timmio
----------

Michael Corvin 06-18-03 03:05 PM

Originally posted by JoeyOhhhh
Still no good, Control-T brings up a transform option.
Yep. Control-t is also the transform function. You have to be sure that you are in the type mode and in the middle of your text when you try it otherwise it is the 'transform' hot key.
(for those curious with Photoshop itself)

Otherwise, I'm sure Timm is right though.

JoeyOhhhh 06-18-03 03:23 PM

Timmio,

I sent you an eps with some text.

Michael Corvin,

I tried Control-T every which way while using the text tool and it still acted as the transform hot key.

Timmio 06-18-03 04:43 PM

Okay, I got the file and tried it out in "Elements"

You're right it is very wierd what is happening. I did find a fix for you though...

What you need to do is lower your font size until you get the proper spacing you want, then use the transform box to scale the text to the proper size that you want. Doing this I was able to pretty much come up with what ever size/spacing combination I could.

It's kind of a pain, but that's the only way I know of in that program right now. Maybe there is a setting or something, but they have managed to hide it pretty well, if it's in there...

Timmio
----------

JoeyOhhhh 06-18-03 04:55 PM

Thanks for taking the time to help Timmio.

Does anyone have an email address I can email Adobe with this problem. They have support but its like $39 a incident, which I think is a bit high.

johnf14 06-18-03 05:51 PM

It might be easier to just do an un-install/re-install of Elements. It only takes a few minutes to reset the program to your liking afterwards.

JoeyOhhhh 06-18-03 06:18 PM

I was thinking about that, but it came preloaded on this computer. I'll have to browse thru the system reboot discs.

JoeyOhhhh 06-21-03 02:05 PM

Update!

Well, I finally got my text back to normal.

What I did was I dragged a paragraph from a psd file I made prior to the incident, and used it on another one. Now it seems to be back to the default.