Jim Henson's The Storyteller Coming!!

Old 06-16-03, 09:16 PM
Deb
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

Jim Henson's The Storyteller Coming!!

Check this out!

The (News) Story You've Waited For!
6/16/2003

Henson fans, rejoice! On August 26th, Columbia/TriStar Home Entertainment presents the DVD debut of Jim Henson's The Storyteller - The Complete Collection. Directed by Anthony Minghella (The English Patient), Henson takes us through the fantasy of recognizable European folk/fairy tales with narration by the Storyteller, played wonderfully by John Hurt.

If you watched this series on HBO back in the late '80s, you'll be thrilled to know that each of the 9 episodes are included in this release...all 216 minutes of "The Soldier and Death," "Fearnot," "The Luck Child," "A Story Short," "Hans My Hedgehog," "The Three Ravens," "Sapsorrow," "The Heartless Giant," and "The True Bride". Priced at an SRP of $24.95, this will be a must-have for everyone who loves Henson's work.

These stories will certainly appeal to fans of J.R.R. Tolkien, too. The cover art was certainly designed with that in mind.
Old 06-16-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Excellent!!!!

There were a few episodes that I never got to see, but I NEVER forgot those that I saw!

The special effects for this series (I thought) was tremendous and am glad to see this finally arrive. Thanks for the news!

Can't wait to see those minature devils again in "The Soldier and Death"!
Old 06-16-03, 10:38 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Good news, but I almost wish it wasn't coming in August. Besides the second job I needed before, now I might need a loan from the bank.
Old 06-16-03, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Great news! i can't wait to add this gem to my collection.
Old 07-10-03, 03:38 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Is this the same series that featured a story about a magic sack? I remember at the end, a bad guy was tricked or something and the lead character captured him by saying, "Get into my sack." Or some such. Makes me giggle, so save the scrotal quips.
Old 07-10-03, 10:23 PM

By far the best news I've heard in a long time.... Finally, a replacement for the creaky VHS I taped all the episodes on!
Are they also going to put the 4 Greek myths episodes on the same DVD? They should if it's supposed to be "The Complete Collection".
And yes, there was a magic sack involved in "The Soldier and Death."

sidenote: look out for a young Boromir (Sean Bean) in "The True Bride".
Old 07-11-03, 10:16 AM

I've been wondering this for a while...a friend of mine has Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal on DVD. I believe one of the trailers on one of those DVDs was for somethign called The Storyteller...is this the same thing?
Old 07-11-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sweet!!!! I loved this series. The only thing better would be if the Henson family decided to do more episodes of it.