DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   question about farscape season boxset releases (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/299500-question-about-farscape-season-boxset-releases.html)

squidget 06-16-03 03:22 PM

question about farscape season boxset releases

are season 2 and later available as season boxsets (not that volume crap) in any region for farscape?
ADV only released season 1 and I have been waiting patiently for season 2 but I dont see it on the horizon from them anytime soon.

i ask because
1) I would perfer them in season to season format
2) there is a ebay auction boasting a season 2 boxset for region 4, however I haven't found any info to back it up to be legit

thanks in advance

adamblast 06-16-03 03:39 PM

^Bump^

I bought the S1 box the minute it came out, and was really disappointed when the announcement came that they had no plans to ever do an S2 box.

I figured I'd wait until the S3 discs started getting released, hoping they'd change their minds again. I'm still holding out, but it's starting to look like they really meant no when they said no.

Why is it so hard for companies to understand that people want uniform packaging... Changing the release format in the midddle of a series really sucks.

B.S.Preston,ESQ 12-01-03 05:08 PM

im confused about this series. I see a box set for S1 and S2 but then we have like Season 3 Collections 1-5 and even season 4 collection 1. WTF? Is there a Season 3 complete box set or what? Do they release these little releases adn then make a box set later?

bboisvert 12-01-03 05:15 PM

Originally posted by B.S.Preston,ESQ
Do they release these little releases adn then make a box set later?
Bingo! :)

They put out the volumes one at a time and then collect them together in boxes down the road. Season 1 came in October '02 and Season 2 came last month.

I'd expect to see a Season 3 box released around October 2004.

B.S.Preston,ESQ 12-01-03 05:17 PM

Wow that sucks. Is there some kind of logic behind this that is escaping me right now? I know if I buy the first two seasons I am gonna get suckered into buying the smaller releases...not sure what to do. :( Knowing me I'll buy it. :)

woemcats 12-01-03 06:29 PM

Farscape costs a lot for ADV to produce because they have to pay Henson, Hallmark, and some Austrailian company, plus make some money themselves. The individual releases help with the profit margin, as the box sets cost much less.

I am personally picking them up as they go. At this rate, I'll have the entire series on DVD before the season 3 set is even out. Plus the season 2 box was just the individual volumes in a (admittedly attractive) cardboard slipcase. By the way, if anyone doesn't want that slipcase, I'd pay for shipping for it.

RandyM 12-01-03 06:54 PM

As someone who came late to the party (I'm on season 4 right now), I'd like to contribute my 2 cents and say this is one of those series, like Buffy and Sopranos, that's worth every penny, no matter how much they cost.

B.S.Preston,ESQ 12-02-03 12:12 PM

I agree those two series are worth every penny. If Farscape is anywhere near those shows how can youmiss? I love Sci Fi to begin with (I have TNG all 7 seasons, DS9 all 7 seasons, Taken, Battlestar galactica, S-Files S 1-8) so how I never got caught up in FS I have no clue but maybe I can hold off for the season sets after I get through 1-2! Is the quality of the discs good and is the seasn sets the same A/V masters as the smaller releases?

purplechoe 12-02-03 04:37 PM

Originally posted by B.S.Preston,ESQ
I agree those two series are worth every penny. If Farscape is anywhere near those shows how can youmiss? I love Sci Fi to begin with (I have TNG all 7 seasons, DS9 all 7 seasons, Taken, Battlestar galactica, S-Files S 1-8) so how I never got caught up in FS I have no clue but maybe I can hold off for the season sets after I get through 1-2! Is the quality of the discs good and is the seasn sets the same A/V masters as the smaller releases?
Looks like we have very similar tastes in tv shows. Take a look at my list below, I own a lot of tv shows and Farscape (as far as video/ sound quality) is the best looking tv set I own. The only other show which I would say is better, would be Twin Peaks Season 1. And yes, these are the same as the "smaller" releases, same dvds packaged together in a box set.

B.S.Preston,ESQ 12-02-03 05:18 PM

Cool! Well I think I am sold. :) Though I am gonna try and hold off on season 3 and 4 until the box sets come out.

I have Twin Peaks too. What a sad state of afairs that franchise is in. Not the existing discs of course, you know what I mean. :(