Places to buy Asian DVDs in Seattle?

Old 06-16-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Places to buy Asian DVDs in Seattle?

Not sure if this belongs here or over in the International Forum, but would anyone happen to know of any good places in Seattle to pick up Hong Kong or Japanese DVDs? I'm going to be on vacation in Seattle in mid-July and thought with the city's major Asian population, there might very well be some good spots.
Old 06-16-03, 02:56 PM
Suspended

If you want to pick up Asian DVDs, just go to Yesasia.com. They have a huge selection of Asian movies, CDs, books, etc. The stuff they sell are originals imported from the source, unlike the ones you find at Chinatown.
Old 06-16-03, 03:30 PM

Scarecrow Video in Seattle is kick-ass. They do rental and retail.
Old 06-16-03, 03:40 PM
jetjaguar69

Re: Places to buy Asian DVDs in Seattle?

Originally posted by Gypo66
Not sure if this belongs here or over in the International Forum, but would anyone happen to know of any good places in Seattle to pick up Hong Kong or Japanese DVDs? I'm going to be on vacation in Seattle in mid-July and thought with the city's major Asian population, there might very well be some good spots.
Try hitting the International district just south of downtown Seattle. There are a few shops that carry the kind of movies your looking for in dvd and vcd. Also, try hitting University district. There's a cool place called Nanoo music that carries a large selection of used dvds. Also hit Cellophane music on University.
I hope this helps you out.
jg

Old 06-16-03, 03:40 PM

Scarecrow is indeed the best video store in the country... But, they don't have a great selection of titles for sale. Occasionally they'll get in stuff no one else can, but they don't stock much. Their rental invenory for Asian films is outstanding.

loyalcitizen
Old 06-16-03, 06:04 PM

Only place I know of is scarecrow, but I would like to find someplace else. I've only bought a couple things there and the prices are pretty damn high.
Old 06-16-03, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by markdclark43016
Scarecrow Video in Seattle is kick-ass. They do rental and retail.
I was gonna say the exact same thing.
Old 06-16-03, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dittos on Scarecrow.

Only place I know of where you can rent the Criterion version of The Killer. (And, yes, they require a hefty deposit, and no, they won't sell it to you).
Old 06-16-03, 10:07 PM

another vote for scarecrow. I have not had any luck finding any good HK/asian dvd selections in the International district. If anyone could give specifics on shops there, it sure would be appreciated.

This may not be any help, but if you want to make a side trip to Vancouver BC (and Richmond, specifically) the selection there is amazing. Combined with the exchange rate, it's easily as cheap as DDDHouse.
Old 06-16-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah... I could definitely be persuaded to do a little side trip to Vancouver (assuming the wife will go for it). Any suggestions there?