DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Criterion's, "Do The Right Thing" Question? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/299130-criterions-do-right-thing-question.html)

Giallofan 06-14-03 04:14 PM

Criterion's, "Do The Right Thing" Question?

I just bought this Criterion dvd yesterday from a Border's Bookstore, and didn't notice something (literally) until I got home.

I looked at all my other Criterion's that I've been collecting, only 15 so far, but notice they "all" have that "Janus" coin symbol on the back of them. This one however, the 2 dvd set of "Do The Right Thing", doesn't. Can anyone confirm if this dvd is actually this way?

One more thing, seeing I'm on the subject of the Janus coin symbol. Someone just e-mailed me saying that they received The Killer dvd recently from the same person I feel that I almost got ripped off from on Ebay, and he told me that The Killer dvd also doesn't have the Janus coin symbol on the back. Could anyone confirm that also please? But first things first, for myself I would like to know about the "Do The Right Thing" Criterion?

Thank you!

Not A N00b 06-14-03 04:20 PM

The Janus symbol isn't on the back of my spartacus or my beastie boys video collection. Unfortunately my friend is borrowing my copy of Do the Right Thing, so I'll get back to you on that later tonight if someone else doesn't. In any case I wouldnt' worry, especially if you bought it at a brick and mortar.

Giallofan 06-14-03 04:24 PM

Thanks for the fast reply. I haven't opened it yet, but I should have also mentioned that it did have the Criterion sticker over the top of the case itself. The shrink-wrap however was really haggered and torn in a few places, but that's probably due to shipping or something, i would think?

X 06-14-03 04:35 PM

The Janus symbol is not on that DVD.

Giallofan 06-14-03 04:38 PM

Thanks X for that answer. Would you happen to know if The Killer has it at all?

dj_freedomchild 06-14-03 04:54 PM

I just checked on my copy of the killer, and indeed, it does have the Janus coin symbol on the back of it.

Giallofan 06-14-03 04:57 PM

Hey, thanks for that info. I'll pass the bad news, unfortunetly onto my friend who e-mailed me saying it doesn't have it on the one he just received from this seller on Ebay. HEADS UP: Stay away from a seller named "zoomyzoo" on Ebay people.

marty888 06-14-03 05:05 PM

Janus holds the rights to many older film classics, including many foreign titles, and distributed many of them theatrically long before the days of home video. If you check, I'd bet you'll find the Janus symbol on older (rather than contemporary) titles.

X 06-14-03 05:28 PM

Originally posted by marty888
If you check, I'd bet you'll find the Janus symbol on older (rather than contemporary) titles.
Yes, it appears to be on every single OOP Criterion.

Giallofan 06-14-03 05:53 PM

Thanks for that valuable info guys. I only have a handful of Criterion's myself, as I just started collecting them. I've only got 10 total.But I did notice the Janus symbol, as I said, on every title I have except for "Do The Right Thing". I have "Sanjuro", "Yojimbo", "Kwaidan", and a few other older foreign titles, as well as "Silence Of The Lambs", and RoboCop", which also sports the "Janus" symbol.

This seller on Ebay that I recently had a dilemma with, for The Killer Criterion, which i did, and thankfully got a refund for. Has taken a few other unsuspecting buyers by surprize. Someone just sent an e-mail today asking about The Killer that they received, and they could tell by the outside that it looked like a cover copied from a photo copier. And also that the UPC was rather blurry. The "Janus" symbol on that didn't come up in the question until the buyer notified the seller about the dvd. And "zoomyzoo" sent him and e-mail, which he forwarded to me, saying, "to not listen to what these deadbeats are telling him about this being a bootleg. She also said that this dvd doesn't come with the Criterion Collection Security Sticker on the top cover, and that it also doesn't have the "Janus" symbol on it". That's what made me think at looking at all my Criterion dvd's for, for this Janus symbol. Then I get a response on here from some good people saying that The Killer does indeed have the Janus symbol on the back cover. As for the Criterion Security sticker, i didn't ask that question, but I'm sure it should have had that if it was legit, wouldn't it? So, in the way, she ratted herself out about this dvd. I for one, or neither did this person who e-mail me about The Killer dvd, thought of even looking for that Janus symbol on it. I have to ask this guy for her return address. I have her actual name, at least I think it's her real name? I'm gonna report her to Criterion, as well as the MPAA about selling these bootlegs. This guy who received it though, is afraid to open it, in fear that she won't give him a refund if he does. But all the signs pretty much point to this being a boot, I would think? I mean even the UPC is blurry, that shouldn't be like that, should it? Anyway, thanks for all the info people. I really appreciate it. I wish I could get on this forum more often than I do, but because of crazy hours that I work, I'm mostly only able to get on,on the weekends. There are alot of very knowledgeable people on here. I really appreciate all the input I received with some of the questions I've asked. Thanks again folks. Regards, Dino

X 06-14-03 06:10 PM

You need to know that Criterion was not consistent about using security stickers on their earlier DVDs. So that's not a dead giveaway.

Giallofan 06-14-03 06:36 PM

Oh, no kidding? I did not know that? Well like I said, i am new with Criterion in general. Thanks for the heads-up on that. :-)

gutwrencher 06-14-03 06:45 PM

great name man. I am also very fond of giallo titles....bigtime. just wanted to welcome you to the forum.:D :thumbsup:

garmonbozia 06-15-03 01:32 AM

Originally posted by Giallofan
Oh, no kidding? I did not know that? Well like I said, i am new with Criterion in general. Thanks for the heads-up on that. :-)
yes, very true. I am not sure about The Killer because I bought mine used, but I don't think my copy of Hard-Boiled had a security sticker.....and first prints of some of the earlier titles in the collection I got from regular online etailers did not have security stickers....not sure if subsequent repressings did or not.