DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Why are The X-files and ST:TNG season sets so expensive? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/299124-why-x-files-st-tng-season-sets-so-expensive.html)

Jackskeleton 06-22-03 12:20 PM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
I find it strange that everyone seems to be overlooking the likely fact that The X-Files sets likely have extra costs that other shows don't.

If the talent on that show is guaranteed a certain royalty rate, then it becomes impossible for Fox to release thos shows below a certain price point.

I guess folks have me on IGNORE or something, I keep on saying this. David and Gillians contracts were really allowed a lot of persk with the many threats of leaving aswell as it being one of the few shows that kept fox alive. So the backend pay for these actors also kicks into effect and could be a major driving force behind how much the sets cost.

Kerborus 06-22-03 03:37 PM

Good point Jack, I'm sure this drives the price up as well.

Chew 06-22-03 04:14 PM

:brickwl::brickwl:

Alright. If a side-by-side between CSI and Trek isn't convincing enough because it's not of "like-genre", here's one that is:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/image.../PRD006124.jpg
VS.
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/image.../BBC016920.jpg

Each are long running Sci-Fi series with rabid fans, conventions, movies (Dr. Who had 2 theatrical movies and one TV movie), books, etc etc.

I think we can all agree that Dr. Who had a much lower budget and lower number of viewers.

Number of discs: 7 for Trek, 6 for Dr. Who. Each are an entire season.

The total running time for Dr. Who is 577 minutes between the 6 discs.

The total running time for Star Trek Season 7 is 1175 minutes, which is more than double. They're packing several more episodes per disc.

At Deep Discount DVD:

Star Trek Next Generation is MSRP $149.95 and sells for $96.84
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=PRD006124

Dr. Who The Key to Time is MSRP $124.95 and sells for $93.66

(Far from the so-called "bargain bin" and not that much less than Trek)
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=BBC016920

Therefore, based on the MSRP and per 45 minute episode, Trek is $5.77

For each 45 minutes, Dr. Who is $9.74

Based on this analysis, Dr. Who is the higher quality show because it costs more. Nearly twice the quality, actually. "Quality dictates price".

I have met the criteria of comparing "like-genre" shows. Now i suppose you're going to tell me British Sci-Fi doesn't count?

Wolf Husky 06-22-03 04:24 PM

You aren't comparing shows from the same era though... lmao!

Dr. Who is what, ... 35-40 years old? Compare Dr. Who with Battlestar Galactica. You can't even compare the original Star Treks to TNG.

Chew 06-22-03 04:37 PM

The Dr. Who set I listed are from 1978 (which is 9 years before Trek started in 1987)

If you're going to use that kind of argument, you can't compare Next Gen (which ended in 1994) to Buffy (which ended in 2003). Oh look, 9 years.

Jackskeleton 06-22-03 05:22 PM

Wolf.. you got owned. eat crow and end this stupid back and forth.

das Monkey 06-22-03 07:39 PM

<B>Chew</B>, you silly man ... you're still not comparing "like" shows. To compare "like" shows, you have to compare two shows that he "likes" equally.

The "criteria" is an ever-changing model esablishing some level of quality to the shows that he and he alone deems of highest quality. It's that simple. If you want a scale, you're just going to have to ask for an ordered list. As I said before, the model is "quality dictates price, except when I decide other factors are more important." That's what we're dealing with.

In response to the request for a rebuttal. If you make a statement, "quality dictates price," and I present a case (in fact numerous and repeated cases) where that is not true, I have disproved the statement. It's that simple. I don't know what more you want past that. You make these grand declarations and then dismiss proof to the contrary as the rantings of irked fanboys. When we disprove the statement, you modify it to be "in these cases" or "like-genres." Whatever. You ask for more explanation? We've already explained why the prices are high, and your desire to dismiss those explanations as accusations "greedy or stupid" doesn't mean we made that case. A combination of numerous market forces dictated the price of those specific DVD sets and every other DVD set. As for the nonsense of what's in our minds ... -rolleyes- ... I don't even know how to address such insulting trash. If this is the way you must justify your opinions to yourself, then so be it, but since no response will satisfy you, it's not worth forming one. All the proof you could ever need rests in this and the linked threads if you were actually interested in the answers.

das

Michael Corvin 06-22-03 09:42 PM

The quality of the X-files sets themselves are much nicer and therefore probably pricier to produce than all the other shows that come out in cheap digipak sets. The sturdy high gloss slip cover and the digipak itself seems more sturdy than your average tv show set.

A small factor but probably one of many small factors that dictates its price.

Kerborus 06-22-03 10:13 PM

Chew, my thesis is 'quality dictates price' not 'price dictates quality'... I'm not sure if they work in reverse. So again, this proves nothing. :D

And yes, I think that the Dr. Who is well worth it's price. So actually, you are proving my point.

Mr. Corvin, well said! Even the packaging is of high quality.

Chew 06-23-03 04:59 AM

Originally posted by Kerborus
Chew, my thesis is 'quality dictates price' not 'price dictates quality'... I'm not sure if they work in reverse. So again, this proves nothing. :D

And yes, I think that the Dr. Who is well worth it's price. So actually, you are proving my point.

Mr. Corvin, well said! Even the packaging is of high quality.

Well, your tune has certainly changed

Dr. Who?

What about it? I firmly believe that it's a different genre entirely. No relation whatsoever to this conversation.

A foreign TV series, which was trend setting in it's day, and very very British. I don't think most Americans even understand what is happening when they watch it.

I myself watched it when I was a kid and although it had bad effects, I usually liked it... I watched the one where they were stuck in the lighthouse with the Blob about a million times.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=264650

Well, my main point was that Dr. who was filmed in the 1960's so I don't see how you could compare it's special effects to shows that were filmed in the 1990's... I simply call those bad effects 'innovation'.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ght=buffy+trek

First, you say we can only compare "like-genre". Then when I do and it so-called "proves" your point, Dr. Who goes from "a different genre entirely" to being in the genre?

Chew 06-23-03 06:43 AM

Quality is not subjective, I'm sure it could be measured if standards were put into place. I'd be glad to define them :D
Now that Dr. Who (with it's very low budget, cheesy sets, just OK acting, and really bad FX) has suddenly graduated into the elite quality category alongside Next Gen and X-Files, I think we do need to hear your standards.

Because, although I love Dr. Who, I don't believe it's even remotely in the same category of "quality" that you've been touting for the run of this thread.

And just to refute your

It's too much for you, and that means you try and justify your lack of money by going crazy towards the studios
comment, here's a list of boxsets I own relevant to this discussion:

X-Files Season 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6
Star Trek Next Generation 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7
Star Trek Deep Space Nine Season 1, 2 and 3
Star Trek TOS All 40 discs
Dr. Who Key to Time, plus about a dozen other Dr. Whos
Buffy Season 1, 2, 3, and 4 (all currently available)
CSI Season 1
24 Season 1
Babylon 5 Season 1 and 2 (also, all currently available)

So, it's obvious I don't have a "lack" of money and yet I'm still maintaining the price is too high on both Trek and X-Files.

I still haven't decided whether I even want to buy any more X-Files (IMO after Season 6 the show got steadily worse to the point I couldn't even watch it anymore in the final season). I'll continue with DS9, however.

das Monkey 06-23-03 07:13 AM

As if the effort's even worth it to refute <I>yet another</I> of these claims, I too own the same collections as <B>Chew</B> with the exception of <I>CSI</I> (low repeat value) and a stubborn refusal to get the <I>TOS</I> discs, since I know they'll be released again and I have them on VHS 3 times over already. Add to that the highly expensive ($150 per season MSRP) <I>Farscape</I>. I also fully intend to complete the <I>DS9</I>, <I>Buffy</I>, and <I>B5</I> eps and am buying no more of <I>The X-Files</I> as it's just not any good past 6. On top of that, I have all the HBO sets currently released, and you don't get higher price/running time ratios than those. Of course, I also own numerous other sets that aren't overly relevant, some very expensive (<I>Monty Python's Flying Circus</I> ... yowzers!) and some nice and cheap (<I>Sports Night</I> ... thanks Buena Vista).

Yes, I guess the joke's on me. :hscratch:

das

Static Cling 06-23-03 07:31 AM

Alright, even though it's not a _____ vs _____ vs ______ thread, the "quality dictates price" debate is a retread. Twenty pages was plenty.