Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Ever gettin Blair Witch w/ film AND video source?

Old 06-14-03, 03:28 PM

I thought when the DVD came out, we'd get to choose between the theatrical film transfer or the mixed film/video transfer. DVD is perfect for that. I think that the movie would be even scarier as it would be the actual footage, instead of having a "movie" look. That ties more into the idea that it was made from "found" footage. Any thoughts/ideas? I didn't by the DVD for that exact reason, I'm waitin for an SE. Plus the extra scenes are direct from video source.

Last edited by Mr. Kite!; 06-14-03 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-14-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with you. If I'm not mistaken, the VHS version was done like that (mixed film/video).
Old 06-14-03, 03:38 PM

you've lost me.... video & 16mm mixed is the only way this movie is... or should ever be.
Old 06-14-03, 03:39 PM

Actually, I thought that the VHS and DVD were film only transfers.
Old 06-14-03, 03:42 PM

I'm saying that when it was shown in the theaters, on FILM, the video parts were obviously transfered onto the film. How else could they it show on a film projector? The home video releases were transfered directly from this final theatrical all film source. Therefor, the shots that were shot on the video camera were sourced from the film source. If they transfered the video camera shots directly onto the DVD, without first transfering them to film, it would look quite different.

Last edited by Mr. Kite!; 06-14-03 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-14-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a clever idea. At least they could throw it in as an extra.
Old 06-14-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The DVD has a small black border all the way around the picture. It's especially noticeable in the corners. WHen it was shown in theaters the 1.33:1 transfer was shown in the middle of the 1.85:1 frame. The DVD sort of copies this by showing a small border around the picture. The VHS version isn't like that--there's no "border" around the picture.
Old 06-14-03, 05:11 PM

I would double-dip for this. I was very disappointed at the transfer we did get.
Old 06-14-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I would double-dip for this. I was very disappointed at the transfer we did get.
Me too.
It was all...shaky and stuff.
And what's with all that grain? Sheesh.
I think a brand-new HD transfer would look great for this title!
Old 06-15-03, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mr. Kite!
I'm saying that when it was shown in the theaters, on FILM, the video parts were obviously transfered onto the film. How else could they it show on a film projector? The home video releases were transfered directly from this final theatrical all film source. Therefor, the shots that were shot on the video camera were sourced from the film source. If they transfered the video camera shots directly onto the DVD, without first transfering them to film, it would look quite different.
The movie is supposed to have erratic picture quality. There is really no sense in doing something like this.
Old 06-15-03, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Special Edition DVD was supposed to have the three alternate endings, including the one that showed the Blair Witch twig-puppet.
Old 06-15-03, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
The movie is supposed to have erratic picture quality. There is really no sense in doing something like this.
Well then, thank God I don't really care much about the picture quality of that movie. Did I even mention anything at all about picture quality? ...sigh...
Old 06-15-03, 07:02 PM
Suspended

I think there is yet another directors cut out there, where the acting is actually good, and the story convincing

. Though it runs about 45 seconds long- not sure any studio would be up for releasing it.
Old 06-15-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well then, thank God I don't really care much about the picture quality of that movie. Did I even mention anything at all about picture quality? ...sigh...
If you're not concerned about picture quality, what is your point in asking for a video-to-video transfer, then?
Old 06-15-03, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lcnickell
I think there is yet another directors cut out there, where the acting is actually good, and the story convincing

. Though it runs about 45 seconds long- not sure any studio would be up for releasing it.
13 posts before the first useless threadcrap. I'm actually impressed.
Old 06-16-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, mine was #9, I believe.
I guess if my sarcasm was actually believed to be genuine interest, that much funnier it was then.
Old 06-16-03, 12:19 AM
Suspended

i didn't even know i was being sarcastic..

I'm just relaying info i read elsewhere
Old 06-16-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama
Actually, mine was #9, I believe.
I guess if my sarcasm was actually believed to be genuine interest, that much funnier it was then.
Yours seemed to be less a threadcrap than a joke on the previous posters.

"Dude, this movie sucks anyway" is more of what I consider a threadcrap.
Old 06-16-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In all seriousness, as much as I despise the movie, the documentary (of a fake documentary!) The Curse of the Blair Witch (I think that's the title...the one that aired on Sci-Fi) was quite enjoyable, much moreso then the actual 'movie'.
It kind of bounced around from video to 16MM if I recall correctly.

I always thought thay if they would have released that as the feature instead of all the 'home movie' footage it would have been more bearable.

Just my .02.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 06-16-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually, I thought that the VHS and DVD were film only transfers.
Okay what is being referred to here is the mixture of film and "hot video" (video camcorder) footage. All the hot video was tranferred to film footage when the movie was shown in theaters. HOWEVER, the TV spots for the film showed several clips that contained hot video.

I recall that the filmmakers said they wanted to issue a new cut of the film for home video release that included the hot video footage as hot video instead of the film transfer. This title was released VERY quickly and rather sloppily by Artisan to cash in on the craze/fad before it wore off. While the DVD is rather loaded, it contains only HALF of the features that were initially going to be on it.

Now that the film has already had a sequel and is rather reviled by many, I don't see a new version of this DVD coming any time soon. Seems like an SE job for Anchor Bay in about 2020.

I myself did not purchase this title on DVD specifically because the hot video was not included. I felt mislead by the TV spots and didn't enjoy the film in the theater as much as I expected (actually fell asleep at one point). I think restoring the hot video would make this film MUCH more scary and I'd pick up the DVD with this featured in a heartbeat.
Old 06-16-03, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
If you're not concerned about picture quality, what is your point in asking for a video-to-video transfer, then?
I thought I spelled it out in the previous post. Sorry if I wasn't very clear. My point is I think the hot video would give it a look that would beter serve the whole "found footage" angle. Isn't that half of the movie's schtick? "Ooooh, is that real footage?" Maybe make it look more authentic? I understand that it was shot by "amateurs" on crappy eqipment. I'm not concerned with the transfer "quality." It can still be a crappy transfer, but I think the movie as it is would benefit from hot video. rfduncan seems to know what I mean. This is also the reason I did not and won't buy the DVD. BTW the extra bonus footage did use hot video. I like saying "hot video." Thanks rfduncan.
Old 06-17-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought I spelled it out in the previous post. Sorry if I wasn't very clear. My point is I think the hot video would give it a look that would beter serve the whole "found footage" angle. Isn't that half of the movie's schtick? "Ooooh, is that real footage?" Maybe make it look more authentic? I understand that it was shot by "amateurs" on crappy eqipment. I'm not concerned with the transfer "quality." It can still be a crappy transfer, but I think the movie as it is would benefit from hot video. rfduncan seems to know what I mean. This is also the reason I did not and won't buy the DVD. BTW the extra bonus footage did use hot video. I like saying "hot video." Thanks rfduncan.
OK, I understand what you're saying. The thing is that the gimmick is that this is supposed to be a movie that was assembled from all of the found footage. Therefore, the video-to-film transfer seems to me like a more legitimate way of watching the final product than if it were raw video.

Besides, how was the movie actually edited? If the video portions were transferred to film so that the final product could be edited on film, a 'hot video' edition would require that the entire movie be re-edited from scratch.

The hot video edition would only work if originally the film portions of the movie were transferred to video so that the whole thing could be edited in the video realm and then transferred back to film. In which case, someone could go back to the original video edit and simply dump it onto DVD.