DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Once Upon a Time in China Trilogy (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/299074-once-upon-time-china-trilogy.html)

MarkAtHome 06-14-03 06:30 AM

Once Upon a Time in China Trilogy

I didn't notice this posted (and I apologize in advance if it already has been posted). From The Cinema Laser:

ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA TRILOGY-- AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY ON DVD AUGUST 12

Triple the Action with The Epic Martial Arts Action Trilogy
Starring International Action Superstar Jet Li
From Acclaimed Hong Kong Director Tsui Hark
Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment kicks into action with the release of the ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA TRILOGY on a two-disc Triple Feature DVD edition. These three high-octane films will be available on DVD August 12 at the collectible low price of $27.95 SRP.

Revered by martial arts fans as the ultimate Hong Kong action trilogy, the ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA series introduced the world to the powerful fighting moves of Jet Li (Romeo Must Die, Cradle 2 the Grave, The One) and the influential and stylish direction of filmmaker Tsui Hark (Time and Tide, Black Mask 2). The film series has won several Hong Kong Film Awards including Best Director, Best Action Choreography, Best Original Film Score and more.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA

China's been infected with a plague known as the Western world, and Wong Fei-Hung (Jet Li) refuses to stand by and watch as his country is decimated by foreign forces. A martial arts expert, Wong collides with the foreigners, their influence and especially their firearms. Leading his misfit militia, Wong is determined to stop the immoral slave trade that serves the California gold fields. When his favorite aunt is kidnapped to be sold as a prostitute, Wong must battle his countrymen and the superior firepower of the slave traders, all for the very soul of traditional China.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA

Rated R

Running Time: 134 mins.

Color / Closed-Captioned

Digitally Mastered Audio & Anamorphic Video

Widescreen Presentation

Audio: Cantonese & Mandarian (Mono)

Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA 2

This Good Guy has some Bad Moves ... international martial arts sensation Jet Li brings razor-sharp action to the screen in this classic Kung Fu tale set in turn-of-the-century Canton! Dr. Wong Fei-Hung (Jet Li), his assistant, Foon, and his beloved aunt arrive in Canton for a medical conference in which Wong is to demonstrate the art of Chinese acupuncture. Unbeknownst to them, however, the city is on the brink of revolution as pro- democracy rebels and anarchists alike threaten the stability of a crumbling dynasty. With Justice as his only allegiance, Wong joins forces with a brave revolutionary, Sun Yat Sen, when a religious terrorist group - The White Lotus Clan - initiates a campaign of violence against all foreigners in an attempt to preserve Chinese culture!

ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA 2

Rated R

Running Time: 113 mins.

Color / Closed-Captioned

Widescreen Presentation

Audio: Cantonese & Mandarin 5.1

ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA 3

Jet Li reprises his role as martial arts master, Wong Fei-Hung, who along with his trusted sidekick, Chung, arrive in Peking, just in time for the Empress-sponsored Lion King martial arts contest. But, first, Wong Fei-Hung must win back his secret love, Yee, from the nefarious Russian diplomat-turned spy, Tumanovsky, who has a secret plan to assassinate the president. Now, fists and feet will fly as Wong Fei-Hung tries to foil the assassination attempt, defeat his awesome rival, Thunder Foot, triumph over the untrustworthy Leung Fun and win the Lion King contest in this gravity-defying, non-stop action adventure!

ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA 3

Rated R

Running Time: 105 mins.

Color / Closed-Captioned

Widescreen Presentation

Audio: Cantonese & Mandarin (Dolby Digital 5.0)

ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA TRIPLE FEATURE DVD SPECS

Cat # 01612

UPC Code: #0-43396-01612-5

Total Running Time: 359 mins.

DVD Order Date: 7/10/03

DVD SRP: $27.95

boston george 06-14-03 06:42 AM

Is this just a re-packaging of the same discs or will there be new transfers? Either way it sounds like a good deal. I love these flicks.

Cosmic Bus 06-14-03 09:02 AM

ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA TRILOGY on a two-disc Triple Feature DVD edition.
Three movies, two discs... Ugh.

marty888 06-14-03 09:38 AM

Originally posted by Cosmic Bus
Three movies, two discs... Ugh.
Since they're bare bones, maybe two of them are on one disc.
Even if, still ugh.

Cosmic Bus 06-14-03 02:14 PM

Oh, it's pretty obvious the latter two movies are on one disc. It's just that I hate flippers...

woemcats 06-14-03 04:02 PM

The quality can't be any worse than the original releases, which by the way also had two movies on each disc--the unique American and original cuts.

I hope they include the "all edge-enhancement" edition again. Seriously, these transfers SUCK.

HK stuff lover 06-15-03 01:31 PM

well let's see what they put out this time...
i don't why they would bother repackaging the same crap,
unless they seriously believe they've done something right and are going to make money from it.
since they already have a boxed set out for these titles, this one HAS to be different, right? iono...

eau 06-16-03 01:44 AM

The original release has both international and American cuts (I think it's OUATIC 1 and 2). What about this 2-disc set?

feloosa 06-17-03 01:42 AM

i have the columbia tri-star box set of these films and after comparing it's and the new release's specs, it looks like the new release are the same dvds minus audio commentary track for part 1, english versions for all three films and possibly trailers. Same audio, subtitles and the "digitally mastered audio & anamorphic video" specs are worded exactly the same.

wish the US could get the Hong Kong Legends remasters of all three films.