Errol Flynn Dvds?

Old 06-13-03, 07:12 PM

Errol Flynn Dvds?

It doesn't seem that very many of Errol Flynn's movies are on dvd. Is there something preventing it, or is it just a matter of time before they are released?

Gracee
Old 06-13-03, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No concrete answers for you but I'm dying for The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Sea Hawk, and Captain Blood. I do believe that it was rumored that Warner Brothers was prepping Robin Hood for a release, with a nice new transfer.
Old 06-13-03, 09:35 PM
Suspended

Moving to Kids Section...
Old 06-13-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great double feature would be Captain Blood along with Son of Captain Blood starring - Errol's son, Sean Flynn.
Old 06-14-03, 12:27 AM
Rest in Peace

I posted on this a while ago but you didn't read my post or you forgot. The Adventures of Robin Hood is scheduled for December 2003 release. This info was in a new disc that I had ordered then I posted the different titles Like "Laura" 1944 in November also Zorro starring Tyrone Power and Basil Rathbone. These are all industry standard or 1.33:1 not P & S DVD.
Old 06-14-03, 03:02 AM
Suspended

I totally agree with Danol.

Old 06-25-03, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Errol Flynn Dvds?

Originally posted by Gracee
It doesn't seem that very many of Errol Flynn's movies are on dvd. Is there something preventing it, or is it just a matter of time before they are released?

Gracee
Good to see another Errol Flynn fan around here. Though I'm by no means an expert on the matter, I'm not aware of any legal issues holding up the release of his films. As I see it, it's just a matter of someone being asleep at the switch.

Objective Burma, released around May of this year was the first official release of a Flynn film (that I am aware of). Santa Fe Trail had been available on DVD as a public domain film. As far as I know, here are the upcoming releases:

Master of Ballantrae on July 1st
Kim and The Prince and the Pauper in late August
and as already mentioned, The Adventures of Robin Hood in the Fall

Sadly, as far as I know, there is no news yet of any of these being on the horizon:

Captain Blood
The Sea Hawk
The Charge of the Light Brigade
They Died With Their Boots On
Gentleman Jim
Against All Flags
San Antonio
Virginia City
Dodge City
Desperate Journey
The Dawn Patrol
etc.

Though I would bet that we will be seeing them not too far down the road (hopefully with bigger titles receiving Special Edition treatments like they are doing with Robin Hood).

As a Flynn fan, the frustrating part is that some of his films aren't even available on VHS: Rocky Mountain being a prime example
Old 06-27-03, 11:56 PM

Another Flynn fan here. Just wanted to drop a line here, in case any of the people who are in charge of releasing his movies sees this thread.

Can't wait for The Adventures of Robin Hood! I loved it when I was little, and I still do! My VHS tape is getting really worn out though.

Same goes for Captain Blood, Gentleman Jim, and They Died With Their Boots On.
Old 06-28-03, 01:18 AM

Would love to see Northern Pursuit...one of my favorite Errol Flynn films...have not seen it in a while though...

A
Old 06-28-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...these are all industry standard or 1.33:1..."

...erm... actually, the 'industry standard' (worldwide!) since the early thirties, up until the advent of 'widescreen' movies, was 1.37:1...

...TV's 'standard' AR of 1.33:1 harks back to the late 1920s, based on the then 'standard' for films - which in turn harks back all the way to Thomas Alva Edison's earliest experiments with moving pictures - in the early 1890s...

...so, in a (very small, I admit) way, ALL pre-Cinemascope etc. movies available on tape, laserdisc or DVD have been 'adapted to fit your (TV) screen'...

(signed) Perambulating Pedant

. . . . . .
Old 06-28-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Errol Flynn Dvds?

Originally posted by flixtime
Good to see another Errol Flynn fan around here. Though I'm by no means an expert on the matter, I'm not aware of any legal issues holding up the release of his films. As I see it, it's just a matter of someone being asleep at the switch.

Objective Burma, released around May of this year was the first official release of a Flynn film (that I am aware of). Santa Fe Trail had been available on DVD as a public domain film. As far as I know, here are the upcoming releases:

Master of Ballantrae on July 1st
Kim and The Prince and the Pauper in late August
and as already mentioned, The Adventures of Robin Hood in the Fall

Sadly, as far as I know, there is no news yet of any of these being on the horizon:

Captain Blood
The Sea Hawk
The Charge of the Light Brigade
They Died With Their Boots On
Gentleman Jim
Against All Flags
San Antonio
Virginia City
Dodge City
Desperate Journey
The Dawn Patrol
etc.

Though I would bet that we will be seeing them not too far down the road (hopefully with bigger titles receiving Special Edition treatments like they are doing with Robin Hood).

As a Flynn fan, the frustrating part is that some of his films aren't even available on VHS: Rocky Mountain being a prime example

Adding one to the list.....

Footsteps In The Dark
Old 06-28-03, 10:01 AM

I would love to get The Adventures of Robin Hood and Captain Blood....
Old 06-28-03, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by dtsmovieguy
I would love to get The Adventures of Robin Hood
Ask and you shall receive:

Per Davis DVD :

Warner Home Video has announced the latest crop of classic films getting 2-disc treatments. Due on September 30th are The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and Yankee Doodle Dandy. WB will recreate the moviegoing experience of yesteryear with these new "Night at the Movies" special editions. These sets will include shorts, newsreels, cartoons, and trailers from the year of the films' initial release. The discs will be available individually at $26.99, or in a gift set at $69.92. Exact specs are as follows:

Remastered in the Ultra-Resolution digital video restoration, The Adventures of Robin Hood will include "Warner Bros' Night at the Movies 1938" (Angels with Dirty Faces theatrical trailer, a vintage newsreel, the Warner musical short subject "Freddie Rich and His Orchestra," and the cartoon "Katnip Kollege"). Other extras include a feature length commentary track by author and film historian Rudy Behlmer, a music-only track,trailers for 12 Errol Flynn movies, "Glorious Technicolor," a one-hour documentary about the color process narrated by Angela Lansbury; the 65th anniversary documentary "Welcome to Sherwood: The Story of The Adventures of Robin Hood"; "Rabbit Hood" and "Robin Hood Daffy" Looney Tunes; the short subjects "Cavalcade of Archery" and "The Cruise of the Zaca"; "Robin Hood Through the Ages" (a look at earlier screen adaptations); "A Journey to Sherwood Forest" (a collection of home movies and behind-the-scenes footage); outtakes and bloopers from Warner's 1938 productions; the Robin Hood National Radio Broadcast from May 11, 1938; composer Korngold’s piano lessons (audio only); and other material.
Enough to make an Errol Flynn fan weep with joy . . .
Old 06-28-03, 03:44 PM

Woo hoo!... that's why I love this forum. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-28-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Which Santa Fe Trail dvd should I buy if any?

Roan, Alpha or Delta???? DDD has the Alpha release for $6.00 shipped so if the transfer is watchable...this could tide me over until something better comes along.
Old 06-28-03, 07:52 PM

Which Santa Fe Trail dvd should I buy if any?
This review at DVD Corner.net gives a decent review to a Marengo release, featuring a double feature (with Abilene Town). However, Box Office Magazine isn't nearly so kind. It can be had for under $10 according to DVD Price Search. Those are the only reviews I can find. As a rule, I avoid Alpha and Delta (and any other DVD companies named after Greek letters) like the plague.