DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Next format after DVD??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/298874-next-format-after-dvd.html)

iBleedGarnet 06-13-03 08:09 AM

Next format after DVD???

Saw on another thread where someone mentioned DVD-HD as the format to succeed DVD. Does anyone know much about this media or have links with more info? I just can't imagine my DVD collection being obsolete in a few more years.

edytwinky 06-13-03 08:34 AM

That would really piss me off

speedy1961 06-13-03 08:53 AM

It won't be obsolete. The next generation DVDs / players should be backwards compatible.

Hiro11 06-13-03 08:59 AM

Originally posted by speedy1961
It won't be obsolete. The next generation DVDs / players should be backwards compatible.
This is correct.

The last I heard, blu-ray was the most popular format:
http://www.indystar.com/print/articl...-9311-031.html

SCHMEGGA 06-13-03 10:11 AM

DVD-HD would be nice, as long as it does remain retroactive. There has been some argument as to whether or not it will. I guess we will wait and see for sure. I really believe that DVD is here to stay for quite some time though. I don't think anything will be a huge success in the next several years to unseat DVD. DVD-HD might become the next LD. Too much speculation right now thouh.

marty888 06-13-03 10:22 AM

I'm staying with DVDs until they come up with direct-feed system using bio-ports a la <i>eXistenZ</i>.

The Exister 06-13-03 10:26 AM

I'm hoping CED (Selectravision) will make a comeback!

GuessWho 06-13-03 10:50 AM

Originally posted by The Exister
I'm hoping CED (Selectravision) will make a comeback!
Yeah, then I can play the 50 movies in my basement!!

The Exister 06-13-03 11:57 AM

Originally posted by GuessWho
Yeah, then I can play the 50 movies in my basement!!
That's if you can get them to play all the way through without skipping or hanging several hundred times!

nemein 06-13-03 12:11 PM

Until they change physical formats, and that's going to take awhile given how prevalent the CD size is, you'll be ok. Technologies will change and capacities will go up but the form factor is most likely going to remain the same for some time to come.

Singhal 06-13-03 12:22 PM

There was actually one format that had the HD-DVD that would play in regular format on regular DVD players, and the HD string of data on HD players. Basically all players would be able to view all DVDs, so no one would really have to upgrade their equipment or buy new replacement DVDs until they wanted HD quality. Naturally, the big guys killed that format.

Iron_Giant 06-13-03 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Singhal
There was actually one format that had the HD-DVD that would play in regular format on regular DVD players, and the HD string of data on HD players. Basically all players would be able to view all DVDs, so no one would really have to upgrade their equipment or buy new replacement DVDs until they wanted HD quality. Naturally, the big guys killed that format.
What format are you talking about???

danol 06-13-03 07:11 PM

DANOL VISION AND SOUND

I have this bit of technolgy that will give you a partial Visual Virtual Reality and Full Audio Virtual Reality. my address is known by DVD exchange group e-mail me when your coming. I will have it all set up for Disney Worlds, not used but still remebered E Ticket ride.

Disney World don't have this, it was born about 30 years ago, but I had to wait for some technology to become invented. The first time I thought of it was in a ST:TOS episode, where a light in the ceiling drained your mind. The tormenter AKA programmer put new images and thoughts into your mind. 2nd movie Brainstorm and last movie Dreamscape.

You can come in with a grin but you will go out positive, that you have to have such a system. I have wiped the grins off hundreds of people who started grinning when handed a pair of headphones. I have received quite a numbe of blank check offers, for the audio speciists besides UPS, UPPS, Fed-Ex never turned down a crippled man with a new sound system. You can see there eyebrows going up, which means they are impressed then a look of awe and the headphones they had in their hands with a how could you do this, with headphones yet?

PLK when your coming get ready for the wildest 46 seconds on video. Audio alone 4M26S long that will place you in the 2nd row center of concert made in 1988 in a open air ampi-theater known as The Greek in Los Angeles, CA.

After you have had a taste of it, you will want to wont such a system contrived by what you believe is a mad man with lousy grammer! Believe it or not come see
and find out for yourself, you don't need to walk to fly. This for the same length of time is better than making love. You will not see any lol, for I am as serious as I can get that this real, adapted for DVD use in 1998 tweaked to the max for Chapter 16 and your real to your *mind* only seen 'ride' the Dr. Daniel Jackson Kalium Galaxy Stargate ride!! :)

gutwrencher 06-13-03 07:12 PM

jesus people.....forget about the next format. lets see if they can first fix all the F-ups they have let go with the current format...please. you want the same problems with HD-DVD? dont kill dvd before it's time to die....and there is a long, long, way to go before we say "so long". whats the hurry?

Singhal 06-13-03 07:25 PM

I will need a bit of time to find the article, Iron Giant, b/c i cannot remember the name off hand. It had the name of the company in there. I'm sure I'll find it somewhere.

Singhal 06-13-03 07:26 PM

btw I agree that HD-DVD is coming way too fast

Jason1973 06-13-03 08:27 PM

HD DVD isn't getting here fast enough for me.
And what is wrong with the current format.

John Sinnott 06-13-03 08:37 PM

I don't care about HD-DVD, I'm interested in the format after THAT. When will that come out???

-Videophile

Jason1973 06-13-03 08:59 PM

I like the "spike" format that Robocop uses. hehe

SCHMEGGA 06-13-03 09:08 PM

Originally posted by Jason1973
I like the "spike" format that Robocop uses. hehe
Could you give us the technical specs for that please? :lol:

btribble 06-13-03 09:18 PM

I still don't see any reason to replace my RCA Videodisc collection.

Bill Geiger 06-13-03 10:34 PM

I believe VD is next! Or DIVX II ..very exciting!

Zodiac_Speaking 06-13-03 10:36 PM

I didn't spend thousands of $$$ to replace dvds. Plus, dvd hasn't fully replaced VHS's yet, even though it extremely close. A lot of people still don't have dvd players yet. LD, DiVX, and others failed to replace good ol' VHS, but dvd has. Why? Picture, sound quality are primo and extra features. What will they improve upon? Just picture and sound, if that's even possible. DVDs are here to stay. Sure new players will come into existence, but hopefully (hopefully!!!) there are backwards compatible.

molecularman 06-14-03 12:13 AM

My money is on beta.

AOD 06-14-03 12:47 AM

Just plug me directly into the matrix.