DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Anyone else's Nemesis case look like this? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/298855-anyone-elses-nemesis-case-look-like.html)

AOD 06-13-03 04:10 AM

Anyone else's Nemesis case look like this?

I got this dvd at wal-mart and was wondering if anyone else's dvd case was this type. I've got over 400 dvd's and not one of them has these little "security flaps". I couldn't tell from any other cases at the B&M's cuz they've got the security sticker over that side.

Hmm, it this just adding more protection besides the already 3 security stickers and the alarm sticker on the inside? Pics below.

Flaps closed.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8084/DSC00108.JPG

Flaps open.
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/442/DSC00110.JPG

Another view.
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/8316/DSC00109.JPG

DrOBoogie1 06-13-03 05:08 AM

Received my copy from DDD, and it does not look like that.

skipnet 06-13-03 05:47 AM

I have gotten 3 movies in recent months using these new flaps, the first one I saw was "About a Boy"

Skip

WestEndRiot 06-13-03 05:50 AM

oh god i hope this isn't a trend. that looks like an awful case.

Zodo 06-13-03 06:50 AM

My uncle has a Sum of all Fears DVD in a case like that. It's really horrible, and takes several more seconds just to open up the case.

DVD Polizei 06-13-03 06:55 AM

I dunno but Jean Luc's stare really scares me. Maybe it's a special Trekkie thing they requested? Calling all Trekkies!

folgersnyourcup 06-13-03 06:59 AM

My About A Boy and Far From Heaven cases had these. I posed the question over at the HTF back when I got those and the general concensus was that this is in fact more security and apparently only on random ones. Many dvd thiefs have in the past simply used a pocket knife to slice the three security sticks and then quickly popped the case open and stolen the disc. This would force them to spend a few more seconds taking the entire sticker off after realizing the case won't open and then muttering "what the" while popping the things open. In, the meantime, the thief's actions would apparently be more noticeable...

Personally, I hate the little tabs. For the two DVD's I got them on, I just opened up the flaps and then broke them both off. They really broke off very cleanly leaving only a very tiny white mark where they were. And since that side is not noticeable from where the dvd is on my shelf I'm set! I suggest you break them off as well if they're bothering you. I really didn't want to have to worry about popping flaps open that I wouldn't expect when grabbing a dvd off my shelf that I forgot had flaps.

Just make sure you throw them away or your dog will swallow them and might throw up which isn't very fun at all.

mediabear 06-13-03 08:06 AM

I have one DVD with this case. It is The Emperor's Club and I bought it at Wal-Mart, so perhaps it is a new Wal-Mart trend. I don't normally buy DVDs there, but just a guess.

Morf 06-13-03 08:13 AM

It's going to take me exactly 2 seconds longer to open my DVDs! The horror!!

-rolleyes-

x-filesfan 06-13-03 08:17 AM

I bought mine at Walmart and it is the same way. I have tried twice to open it the normal way and then realized, duh....

-- Jenny

postpunk 06-13-03 09:32 AM

Originally posted by folgersnyourcup
Just make sure you throw them away or your dog will swallow them and might throw up which isn't very fun at all.
Sage advice. (Cleaning up dog messes would hardly qualify as "the best part of waking up.")

SCHMEGGA 06-13-03 10:06 AM

I don't have any of these. Do the flaps appear to be flimsy, such that after repeated uses they would break off?

Mopower 06-13-03 10:18 AM

Just break them off. The only one with those I have ever gotten was The Sum of All Fears....from Wal-Mart so maybe its a vender thing.

Romerojpg 06-13-03 10:20 AM

I would be tempted to snap them off. :)
luckily I havent had this problem, yet!

aphex944 06-13-03 10:32 AM

My Bourne Identity case is like that..

SCHMEGGA is probably right, just a store thing.

jarofclay73 06-13-03 10:59 AM

I'm not sure what that white thing is in that first picture.

But anyway, my Blue Crush case has tabs like that and I bought it at Wal-Mart. I sometimes forget about the tabs and I try to open it like normal.

MEJHarrison 06-13-03 11:48 AM

Originally posted by jarofclay73

I believe it's called a 'Kitchen Counter'. :)

I've heard of these (the case, not the counter) but never run into one myself. But if they help keep theft down, that will help keep prices down. So it's certainly something I could live with if I got one.

ipkevin 06-13-03 02:37 PM

Whew! I thought I had stepped into some bizarro world where the REAL Nemesis movie (from 1990s god of directors, Albert Pyun) was popular enough to generate 16 replies in a couple of hours.

Anyway, that's a pretty nice idea. If it stops theft then why not? It's not like we're going to need to open up DVD cases constantly.

GuessWho 06-13-03 02:43 PM

Originally posted by jarofclay73
you're either talking about the table or the light glare on the dvd case

Jackskeleton 06-13-03 03:11 PM

Originally posted by Morf

-rolleyes-

duy37 06-13-03 06:08 PM

luckily i dont have any of these cases.

if i did though i would probably replace these cases with regular ones, and use these cases to protect adult dvds from innocent kids who won't know how to open them.

just kidding i dont have any kids. or adult dvds. and probably any kid who knows how to operate a dvd player can open these cases.

Bill Geiger 06-13-03 10:37 PM

Mine is not like that...but I do recall Shallow Hal having it.

AOD 06-14-03 12:41 AM

Originally posted by Morf

-rolleyes-

Actually, I was just curious if anyone else had a case like this because I had not seen it before. Nothing more, nothing less. I was not complaining in any way about taking an extra 2 seconds to open the case.:)
Oh, by the way Jarofclay, that white thing in my first picture is, in fact, my counter. :)