Bunuel fans: L'Age d'or DVD coming soon

Old 06-12-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bunuel fans: L'Age d'or DVD coming soon

I just recieved the Kino Video catalog yesterday in the mail and they have Luis Bunuel's 1930's film L'Age d'or (The Age of Gold) listed as "coming soon" on DVD and VHS. This, to me is great news. I have been waiting for this for a long time. Now if they will release Un Chien Andalou my life will be *almost* complete.

Hopefully someone else here will be happy to hear this news. Once I find out more info I will share it here.
Old 06-12-03, 12:20 PM

I don't see why the two films can't be part of the same release. Most people who want one would probably want the other, don't you think? I certainly want both, but I want all the Bunuel I can get my hands on.
Old 06-12-03, 12:50 PM
Needs to provide a working email

No doggy for you

The reason we won't be seeing Un chien analou on L'Age Dor, is that Kino no longer owns the rights (me and some friends have emailed them, and that was their response). Neither do they own Las Hurdes. I don't know who does, but my guess is that Criterion has it. I believe Criterion is planning to release either The Phantom of Liberty and/or The Milky Way next year (Rialto is in charge of the thetrical re-releases, and their relationship with Criterion has provided the other Bunuel releases), so maybe we'll see it as a bonus feature. Or a small-priced DVD release, as with Night and Fog.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for L'Age Dor, from Kino...the company has some great discs, some nice discs, and alot of absolutely horrible discs. On the other hand, L'Age Dor was delayed from July till November, so they could gather more material. $30 is a bit steep if this ends up being a bare-bones disc...I expect atleast a commentary or two.
Old 06-12-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was so disappointed when this title dropped off the map vis that July release... very relieved that it's only been delayed, and ecstatic if this means it might include some "extras" (Kino has done some decent "SE" style discs).

No news on Viridiana or The Exterminating Angel?
Old 06-12-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: No doggy for you

Originally posted by Der Zorn Gottes
I believe Criterion is planning to release either The Phantom of Liberty and/or The Milky Way next year (Rialto is in charge of the thetrical re-releases, and their relationship with Criterion has provided the other Bunuel releases), so maybe we'll see it as a bonus feature.
If this is true, it would be the greatest dvd announcement I could ever hope for.
Old 06-12-03, 04:38 PM

I'm also eagerly awaiting R1 releases of Tristana, Viridiana, The Exterminating Angel, Nazarin, and Simon of the Desert. There are so many unreleased Buñuel treasures out there. Bring 'em on!