Night Of The Living Dead: ME going OOP!

Old 06-11-03, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Night Of The Living Dead: ME

Taken from Zombiekeeper Forum:

From www.Bloody-Disgusting.com:

"As some of you may or may not know, the Millenium Edition of George Romero's Night of the Living Dead (Elite Entertainment) is going out of print. DVD Review (DVDreview.com and dvdfile.com) sites rated this the end off all DVD version to get of this classic film. So, for you guys looking for it, I have found a great deal...

If you head over to Overstock.com right now, they still have some...for only $16.89! Originally this edition went for around $30-35, depending on where you looked. I just ordered mine, eventhough I already have a basic edition on DVD. Hurry up, things usually don't last as Overstock.com.
For any of you procrastinators out there (myself included) who haven't picked up Elite's NOTLD:Millenium Edition yet, now sounds like a good time to do it.

(note: if there is a DVDTalk-ified link for Overstock, please let me know and I'll update it)

The sponsor link for DVD Talk @ Overstock is here. You can find all (or at least, the vast majority) of the sponsor links by clicking the "Shop" tab at the top of the screen. - Static

Last edited by sracer; 06-11-03 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-11-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have been procrastinating. Now sounds like a good time as ever to buy it. Thanks for the heads up
Old 06-11-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just bought this last week. I guess it's a good thing I didn't wait much longer.
Old 06-11-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm... I already own the old Elite CE but I should probably pick this up... It's been on my - to possibly "upgrade" list - since it was released... Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone have a clue why this would go OOP?
Old 06-11-03, 11:18 AM

Wow. I just ordered one Sunday night. Now I am really glad I did.
Old 06-11-03, 11:29 AM
Suspended

It seems that this Millenium Edition is only set in fullscreen. Doesn't seem all too good to get.
Old 06-11-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Regurgitator, would you prefer the top and bottom of the film cropped to make it widescreen? 1.33 is the OAR.
Old 06-11-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Regurgitator
It seems that this Millenium Edition is only set in fullscreen. Doesn't seem all too good to get.

Dude, NOTLD was shot "full frame", specifically 1.37:1... As such, the ME is presented in it's correct OAR. Either version of the Elite discs are the only NOTLD DVDs that you want in your collection.
Old 06-11-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Regurgitator
When George Romero was working with Elite back in the mid-1990s to create this transfer (which was originally used on laserdisc, and then ported to 2 different DVDs), he played around with the aspect ratio.

After matting the film to 1.85:1 and then 1.66:1 he came to the conclusion that the film only looked good in the full 1.33:1. He made a statement in an online chat at the time (possibly available on Usenet archives) that he realizes that the film was matted in the theater, but he was going to present it 1.33:1. He blamed this on his inexperience with filming/framing at the time he made the movie.

So, full-frame is the preferred ratio for this film. And rest assured that the Millenium Edition is good to get -- the film looks great, the supplements are fantastic, and I doubt we'll ever see the film treated better on home video.
Old 06-11-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never bothered to upgrade from the previous Elite edition... does anyone think the ME is so substantially better that I should rethink this?

Also, I don't want to cause anyone to miss out, but the old Elite version of NotLD used to go OOP at least once a year! Everytime it happened, however, a new printing would come and the stocks were replenished. I'm not doubting the word of the Bloody-Disgusting website, but I'm just saying that the old version was described as OOP on several occasions, and this could also be the case here. Why in the world wouldn't Elite continue to sell it? After all, they've now retransfered it to THX specs twice and there are no distribution rights issues whatsoever.
Old 06-11-03, 12:03 PM

I've been holding off on upgrading from the original Elite SE (and it took me a long time to finally cave in and upgrade to THAT from the laserdisc) but for $16 and impending OOP craziness lurking around the corner, I guess I'll take the plunge. Of all the movies to own multiple copies of or double dip on, you can do worse than this classic, I guess.
Old 06-11-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

got this the day it came out....I never wait on discs like this. so if the dvd is going to go belly-up, it better do it now.
Old 06-11-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I too have the original Elite Disc, but right before I posted this, I went and ordered my copy of the ME. As good as the original is, the ME has even more extras and an even better transfer (hard to believe if true).

The ME is the definitive version to own, and a must-have for fans of the movie, IMO.
Old 06-11-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Richard Malloy
I never bothered to upgrade from the previous Elite edition... does anyone think the ME is so substantially better that I should rethink this?
Every review that I've read indicates the image quality is pretty much identical... This is why, like you, I've never bothered to "upgrade"... However, the ME does have the new 5.1 soundtrack and slightly better extras... Here's a good comparison of the two plus the Anchor Bay 30th Anniversary abortion > http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare...livingdead.htm

Also, I don't want to cause anyone to miss out, but the old Elite version of NotLD used to go OOP at least once a year! Everytime it happened, however, a new printing would come and the stocks were replenished. I'm not doubting the word of the Bloody-Disgusting website, but I'm just saying that the old version was described as OOP on several occasions, and this could also be the case here. Why in the world wouldn't Elite continue to sell it? After all, they've now retransfered it to THX specs twice and there are no distribution rights issues whatsoever.
Very good observations/questions... This is what I want to know as well. Why would this go OOP?
Old 06-11-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by gutwrencher
got this the day it came out....I never wait on discs like this. so if the dvd is going to go belly-up, it better do it now.
Old 06-11-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Every review that I've read indicates the image quality is pretty much identical...
I've got to disagree with that. NOTLD is one my all time favorite films. So, I dumped the old release for the ME soon after its release, just to get the few additional extras, and I was VERY pleasantly surprised by the improvement in picture quality.

As all fans of the flick know by now, the original negative was damaged and all new prints stuck from it must delete the damaged frames. However, in order to make sure that the picture doesn't go out of sync with sound, these missing frames must be filled in, by repeating prior frames to fill in the gap. The result is a small, freeze-frame-like lag each time one of these trouble spots comes up. This annoyed the hell out of me in the old version! Still, as the picture looked so good in every other way on that version, I just accepted it as the best that could be done...

Well, in the new version, this problem has been largely fixed (with a few notable exceptions), making it a SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT over the last edition. If you're a fan of the film upgrade now! The ME is without a doubt the BEST version of this flick on DVD!
Old 06-11-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

CrumpsBrother > Well, that's interesting... Your account is the first that I've read concerning the transfer. Appreciate the input!
Old 06-11-03, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the heads up. Elites first Re-animator also went in and out of pressing a few years back. Picked this one up just to be sure.
Old 06-11-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got it. Thanks for the heads-up.

Wow, without this place, I'd never have gotten Cast Away, The Ultimate Toy Box or Night Of The Living Dead before they went away... thank you all!
Old 06-11-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As far as I know, the original Elite disc never went OOP until the release of the ME. Much of the OOP rumors was based on the periodic unavailability on places like Amazon.

Historically, B&M's rarely carried more than 1 or 2 copies of the Elite disc... most didn't carry it at all. They figured that people wouldn't buy a $29.99 version of the movie when they were selling the same film for $4.99.

IMO, the ME is in a similar boat. There are more PD releases available now and now that DVDs are mainstream, Joe six-pack is more likely to spend $3 on the Madacy version. It wouldn't surprise me if it is costing Elite too much to satisify the trickling demand for this title and simply will cease production and unload existing stock.

I don't think it is fair to compare the original to the ME... the original Elite disc never appeared on Overstock.com at a reduced price.
Old 06-11-03, 03:34 PM

Don't worry.. If you can't find the elite version, just grab the 30th anniversery edition. It has added footage too!!
Old 06-11-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Append a good ol' winking semicolon to that last post (wouldn't want any unsuspecting DVD Talkers to accidently part with good money for that travesty).
Old 06-11-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by harpoonipa
Don't worry.. If you can't find the elite version, just grab the 30th anniversery edition. It has added footage too!!
I know you must be adding a laugh with that. that release is an insult.
Old 06-11-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just ordered mine - I've been waiting for some kind of incentive to get this. I guess for $16.60 (I used the 10% off deal) shipped I can't complain.
Old 06-11-03, 04:58 PM

Pssh... I can't believe you people that waited to pick up the greatest movie of all time

This kind of sucks... this movie should be available to everyone, and once this gets scarce we'll just have the extremely subpar versions floating around.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.