DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Why do they have DVD sets for sale when 1 is never wanted? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/298209-why-do-they-have-dvd-sets-sale-when-1-never-wanted.html)

danol 06-10-03 07:05 PM

Why do they have DVD sets for sale when 1 is never wanted?

Back to the Future Trilogy you just couldn't buy 1, you had to buy the first best and 2 stinkers, Now here comes Jones, Indiana and we have to buy the crappy second Temple of Gloom or Doom, it sounds they ought to hit them over the head with a broom and vrooom.

Why not let the buyers of DVD have their pick, not the film company. Soon it will be all 10 Star Trek or all this or all that when you only like certain ones.

I think it should be the buyers choice not the other way around, what do you think?

P.S. I think that is why CD made at the mall was the style, you pick out what songs you want put the money in and presto you have what you want hear. I was more devious by recording what I put it on 'line' below your channel 2 on your VCR with no video signal input recording in EP, just music on a T-200 would give you a 10 hour party tape of what ever you want to record out of your collection. Vhs goes bad in video but the sounds lasts a lot longer if you don't use a ratshack bulk eraser like I have.

spyzdope 06-10-03 07:30 PM

$.

caiman 06-10-03 07:35 PM

Originally posted by spyzdope
$.
Actually, I believe it's $$$.

otmetrud 06-10-03 07:36 PM

Marketing decision.

Iron_Giant 06-10-03 07:37 PM

$$$$

BigPete 06-10-03 07:38 PM

Frankly, even if they were separates, I would still buy all three regardless of how much I hated a piece of the series. That's just who I am.

FuzzyBallz 06-10-03 07:41 PM

Just 'cause consumers like this one -

Originally posted by LittleDick
Frankly, even if they were separates, I would still buy all three regardless of how much I hated a piece of the series. That's just who I am.
- will always eat it up. And of course, it's all about the money.

Hokeyboy 06-10-03 07:44 PM

I personally think Last Crusade is the stinker. In fact, everything after Raiders is pretty much crap. But hell, I'll still end up buying the trilogy. I am such a fish.

Imodium 06-10-03 07:47 PM

Back to the Future II was great, or 'the best'.

Anywho, yeah, $$$.

emanon 06-10-03 08:27 PM

I may need to brush up on my Danol as a Second Language, but I think the answer you're looking for is basically this...

Marketing. If the powers that be feel that one title will vastly outsell the others in series, it makes the best business sense to bundle them all together. If you want one, you gotta buy them all. After all, they're in the business to turn a profit.

purplechoe 06-10-03 08:46 PM

Originally posted by emanon
I may need to brush up on my Danol as a Second Language, but I think the answer you're looking for is basically this...

Marketing. If the powers that be feel that one title will vastly outsell the others in series, it makes the best business sense to bundle them all together. If you want one, you gotta buy them all. After all, they're in the business to turn a profit.

They're making a profit either way, box set or no box set. They're just being greedy a-holes. Mr. Blythe, care to chime in? (not expecting any actual answer from Mr. Paramount.)

reubs82 06-10-03 08:52 PM

I watched BTTF III on Sunday night, and I still really like that one. OF course, I enjoy all three of them but I don't see why people come down so hard on III all the time.

mrcoaster 06-10-03 09:06 PM

Yes, it's all about the $$$.

Personally, I would have bought all 3 BTF films anyway. Yeah, #1 is by far the better flick, but I like #2, and #3 well enough.

Same for Indy. I like 1 and 3 just fine and #2 is the low point, but I'll still pick it up just the same. With the new Aliens boxed set coming at the end of the year, even though 3's not a favorite and 4 is just ok, I will pick up the whole 9-disc affair.

Civic2oo1 06-10-03 09:20 PM

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but in terms of a series, I tend to be a completist that no matter how bad the movies are, some movie franchises seem empty without the entire set. That's why I'm dead set on getting the 9-disc Alien set and why I don't mind getting all 3 Indy films. Now the day that I buy Jaws 3 and Jaws Revenge....

DonnachaOne 06-10-03 09:22 PM

Re: Why do they have DVD sets for sale when 1 is never wanted?

Originally posted by danol
Now here comes Jones, Indiana and we have to but the crappy second Temple of Gloom or Doom,

it sounds they ought to hit over the head with a broom.

MY GOD! NOW DANOL RAPS!

Well, Big D, it's cash and that's it. Would nearly as many people buy Godfather 3 if all were available seperately? Or Omen 4?

The fact is, despite how good said film might be, if a sequel isn't as well-received as the rest then the studio will get more cah for bundling all the films together.

Jackskeleton 06-10-03 09:25 PM

Because it's one way to unload a series of films without having left on the shelf.

ArchibaldTuttle 06-10-03 09:52 PM

I feel like I am the only one on this forum that loves all three indys, I don't mind the boxsets as long as I want to buy all 3, or it isn't that expensive

Ginwen 06-10-03 10:00 PM

As others have said, money.

More specifically, if they feel they can release all 3 films individually, and make more money than they can by just releasing the set, that's what they'll do. Obviously, they think the people that won't buy any because all they want are one or two are less than the number that will buy the set, even though they don't want all the movies. I suspect they're correct, and this will be a pretty big seller.

I suspect I'd initially just buy the first if I had a choice, although I do like the beginning (young Indy) part of the third movie quite a bit (and if I bought the third, I'd have to fill in the collection with the second!)

darkflounder 06-10-03 10:31 PM

Raiders and Last Crusade were both equally incredible. Doom was mediocre in comparision with the other two, but the trilogy just isn't complete without it. Same with BTTF.

It's like buying Star Wars and Empire and not getting Jedi. It just does leave a huge glaring hole in the collection. I despised Die Hard 3, but I still got it, just to complete Die Hard & Die Hard 2.

DeanoBKN 06-10-03 10:35 PM

Maybe it could be that some movies are best seen or viewed at like a trilogy. Back to The Future is a great example, while movies like Friday the 13th or Die Hard can really be seen without prior knowledge of the older films.

Then again it could be all about the money...

Dean

MurraySiskind 06-10-03 10:41 PM

Originally posted by emanon
I may need to brush up on my Danol as a Second Language

:lol:

danol 06-10-03 11:02 PM

Maybe you got the wrong impression I was talking about all sets, I casually metioned Back To The Future because I ever only seen the first. Remember I can't go to the movie theaters, it's medical but just sitting with my legs down causes pain. When I am in my 4 wheel scooter the vibration causes me not to have pain.

When I seen "Raiders of the Lost Ark" I felt good like seeing "Star Wars" in 1976.

P.S. My movie tonight was the DVD "Rush" with Jenifer Jason Leigh and Sam Elliott. I have so many movies to watch and so little time to watch them.

ROTFLMAO I have to learn danol language, I'll bet more than half of TT drivers would not be good in your proper english and punctuation, if I could get a hold of couple hundred to join then what would you do? :)

JoeyOhhhh 06-10-03 11:16 PM

I can see series collections. And true, it may be about the money.

But what about those stinkers that are put out slapping 2 DVDs together for like $18.

Always one good one teamed with a stinker.

collven 06-11-03 02:38 AM

Just remember, Spielberg wanted to release each movie individually, but was shot down by the studio. I think the plan was 1 a year until the new Indy movie was out, and then release the box set with all 4 movies. I think this would have been the way to go, since I'm not a huge fan or the 2nd or the 3rd movie. I just really want the original. Besides, you know when the 4th movie is release, they are going to release another box set. I definitely won't buy another box set, and would hate to have the 4th movie just sitting by itself next to the trilogy box set.

Cornelius1047 06-11-03 03:18 AM

Originally posted by Civic2oo1
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but in terms of a series, I tend to be a completist that no matter how bad the movies are, some movie franchises seem empty without the entire set. That's why I'm dead set on getting the 9-disc Alien set and why I don't mind getting all 3 Indy films. Now the day that I buy Jaws 3 and Jaws Revenge....
By that logic though (which is probably the reason I own Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III), I should also own Speed 2. I don't even accept that that movie exists. It's bad enough when an actor as smart as Keanu knows not to return and the movie gets a rating of PG-13 when the original got an R, but when it, ya know, just sucks worse than an old French hooker with a collapsed lung, well... What was I talking about?

OOPS, I meant Freedom hooker.

K