Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

DVD Profiler annoyance...give me some suggestions, please

Old 06-07-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I downloaded DVD Profiler some time ago in order to compile my dvd library and share it with friends online. While I like the concept and the look of the program, I find it especially annoying to actually use. Every damn time I want to add a dvd to my collection, I'm forced to update my

online profile list
alias list
online retailer info
online pricing info
conversion rates
plugin registration

All of this takes about 30 minutes on my crappy dial-up. I wouldn't mind doing it once in awhile, but I have to do it EVERY TIME. I can add a dvd one day and download all of this stuff, and then if I add another dvd the next day, I have to download it all over again. It's such an annoyance that I'm thinking of just scrapping the program altogether.

Anything I can do about this? Or is there a better program out there that I can download? Kep in mind that I'm not willing to pay for it. It's nice to have but not essential enough to dip into the pocketbook to have it. Thanks!

mods: sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure where to put it.
Old 06-07-03, 10:35 AM

For some reason I remember that you can say no to downloading the additional info. You can try guzzlefish if you would like. It does not reside on your desktop at all. It is free as well and has some pretty cool stats like list the actors you have the most films for and such. Check it out at www.guzzlefish.com. I use both DVD Profiler and Guzzlefish right now.
Old 06-07-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Mine prompts me if I want to refresh listings, and I only do it once a month.

However, if it downloads it everyday it should skip most of the components because they are new and dont need to be updated.
Old 06-07-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, the first thing it does when you choose "DVD->Add to Collection" is ask if you want to "Refresh online profile list from IVS before proceeding?" Just choose "No" and you will immediately go to the add DVD dialog. Same thing when uploading your collection to the web, just say no.
Old 06-07-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Previous posters are exactly right. Just select "No".

It's not downloading the entire library every time. It's downloading the new/updated profiles and images. I suspect that what takes so long on your dial-up is the images.
Old 06-07-03, 11:24 AM

Even on cable, it takes about 5 minutes.
Old 06-07-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ummm...click no or use another system. i scrapped profiler for guzzlefish just because it is that much easier and has some fun stats, forums, etc.
Old 06-07-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, that's the weird thing. Initially, it did prompt me to choose whether to update these things every time, and I would choose "no" and then update every month or so. Recently, though, it doesn't ask; it just starts doing it whenever I try to add a dvd. I've tried cancelling the downloads and then entering the dvds, but when I try to add them, it automatically starts updating all that crap again.

Maybe something got changed in my settings somehow. I'll explore it and see what I can find.
Old 06-07-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just tried it again. It does NOT ask if I want to refresh listings; it just starts doing it. And I don't see anything in the options for this at all.
Old 06-07-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Boot
I just tried it again. It does NOT ask if I want to refresh listings; it just starts doing it. And I don't see anything in the options for this at all.
I just tried it to confirm. It asks on mine, as it does every time. I would suggest contacting DVDProfiler and asking what happened.

i scrapped profiler for guzzlefish just because it is that much easier and has some fun stats, forums, etc.
I'm running Guzzlefish in addition to DVDProfiler right now. Unfortunately, I've got at least 20 titles that aren't in Guzzlefish, and I'm too lazy to enter them myself right now, since I already have DVDProfiler running, too.

Even on cable, it takes about 5 minutes.
That is some sllooow a$$ cable. I'm on 768k ADSL and it takes about 25-40 seconds.
Old 06-07-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Open DVDPROFILER when you are OFFLINE
then go to add DVDs it will prompt you to refresh or not say no then add the movies you want, once they are in the que click add now then sign online and they will be added to your collection with no update.
Old 06-07-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Backup your Collection and uninstall and then reinstall DVDProfiler. Mine alway's asks to connect or not. And im on cable and it doesn't take 5 minutes.. Maybe a minute or two if it's a large update.
Old 06-07-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Apocrypha
Open DVDPROFILER when you are OFFLINE
then go to add DVDs it will prompt you to refresh or not say no then add the movies you want, once they are in the que click add now then sign online and they will be added to your collection with no update.
Ahhh, maybe that's the difference. I'll try that, and if it still isn't working, I'll do what cubanx suggested.
Old 06-07-03, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm on dialup and it doesn't take 5 mins...

but that's what you get for having a huge collection
Old 06-08-03, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just played around for a while and found that if I am already online, then the program automatically refreshes whatever needs to be refreshed, but if I am NOT already online then it skips that and goes right to the "add new" input area.
Under "Tools", "Options", "Online" I have the box checked which says "I will establish the internet connection".
As to download time - I find that it is not the downloading time which is "forever", but it is the "processing" which takes forever. Is this the part which also takes other people so much time?
Old 06-08-03, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Boot, I was going to tell you that it is probably time to upgrade to cable/dsl, but then I noticed where you are from. You probably have never even seen a cable modem, much less have a chance to play with one.

j/k
Old 06-08-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by SCHMEGGA
Boot, I was going to tell you that it is probably time to upgrade to cable/dsl, but then I noticed where you are from. You probably have never even seen a cable modem, much less have a chance to play with one.

j/k
You're more correct than you know. I would love nothing more than to upgrade to cable or dsl, but this maddening dial-up is all I can get out here in the boonies. The town nearest to me (about 15 miles) has cable, but it doesn't extend out here. There's a phone substation (which would allow me to get dsl) just a few hundred feet beyond the maximum range, so unless they add another substation (not likely), I'm pretty much stuck with dial-up unless I want to pay out the ass for satellite service.
Old 06-08-03, 11:12 AM
Cool New Member

I'm on a dial-up, and in my experiance it's the "processing" that takes forever rather than the download itself. Sometimes I think that it's froze, but if I leave it alone it'll snap out of it after a bit.
Old 06-08-03, 03:21 PM

I'm on cable and it varies depending on size. Sometimes it takes a looong time without any progress and I think that it freezes, but in fact it is just really slow.
Old 06-08-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got a problem everytime I try to download from My Profiler. I'm on a new computer and I want to download my whole collection from the online database but everytime I tell it to download, it gives the following error:

The online system is currently unavailable or an error occurred. Please try again later.

Any ideas?
Old 06-08-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by bluemagic
I've got a problem everytime I try to download from My Profiler. I'm on a new computer and I want to download my whole collection from the online database but everytime I tell it to download, it gives the following error:

The online system is currently unavailable or an error occurred. Please try again later.

Any ideas?
What version are you running? I know when 2.1 first came out, that was a problem. I have 2.1.0, Build 616, and it works fine.
Old 06-08-03, 05:20 PM

ahhhh......dvdaf is so much more simple and problem free.

makes me glad I have dsl....my 1,000 dvd collection loads in about 25 seconds.
Old 06-13-03, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by imp66
What version are you running? I know when 2.1 first came out, that was a problem. I have 2.1.0, Build 616, and it works fine.
Hmmm... i've been using version 2.0.0, build 569. I guess it's time to upgrade.
Old 06-13-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Boot, just use DVD AF or Guzzlefishies. DVDProfiler is suck. You DVDSlut.
Old 06-13-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I took a look at DVDProfiler, but it made my brain hurt. I prefer the simplicity and sleekness of DVDaf. Guzzlefish isn't bad, but the music database has serious problems.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.