Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Question about Little Mermaid (bootlegs?)

Old 06-06-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have a link or graphics or anything at all that compares bootlegged versions to the genuine article? My buddy who knows nothing about this stuff just bid on an auction and I'd like to help him develop some savvy. IIRC, this title has been bootlegged to hell and back, right? Thanks...
Old 06-06-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/waskydiver/#Specific

Courtesy waskydiver
Old 06-08-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most of the Little Mermaid bootlegs have a "DVD-9" symbol on the front cover.

But, just in general, your best bet on eBay is to buy from someone who has high feedback. If the seller has hundreds of positives and no one complaining about 'copies' or 'bootlegs', you're probably safe placing the bid.
Old 06-08-03, 05:31 PM
mdX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
actually feedback is often not a good indicator, as most people buying don't know or don't care they got a boot.

your best bet is to get a copy of the R4 (south america) verison, which is NTSC and is dual coded R1/R4. I got mine on ebay for $20 or so. Of course this assumes you don't mind the spanish cover or don't mind printing out an english one from dvdcoverart or the like.
Old 06-08-03, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mdX
actually feedback is often not a good indicator, as most people buying don't know or don't care they got a boot.
In my experience, people who regularly sell bootlegs ALWAYS have negative feedback indicating such.

Yes, there are people who don't know or don't care (and I'm always amazed when I see a *positive* comment that says "Didn't indicate bootleg copy, but quality OK" ?!?). But, in general, if a person has been around long enough and has some substantial feedback, you can pretty easily tell if they sell copies or not. If someone hasn't been around long or doesn't have much feedback, I'll just skip that auction.

Everyone may not mention it, but there will be enough that do...

[And, of course, you can always send a message to the seller asking if it is a legitimate U.S. R1 release. Most of the people who sell bootlegs have sneaky listings, but won't outright lie when faced with that question. They'll say "no, this is an 'import' release" or some such nonsense.]