2 80's larry cohen classics from Blue Underground In august:

Old 06-06-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 80's larry cohen classics from Blue Underground In august:

God told me to
&
Q the winged serpent on 8/26/3

Both are being billed as special editions.

Considering the care bill lustig puts into the dvds he chooses to release through blue underground, expect some nice looking transfers with extra goodies.

I hope B.U. puts out perfect strangers & special effects. Those are a pretty great as well.
Old 06-06-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be interested in seeing both of these. Picked up my first Blue Underground set the other day (Two Evil Eyes) and was quite pleased with all aspects of the set.
Old 06-06-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Er, Gold Told Me To isn't quite an 80s classic, as it came out in 1976. Anyway, note also that Cohen's directorial debut, Bone, is coming out in a SE disc from Blue Underground on that same date, as well.

DJ

Last edited by djtoell; 06-06-03 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-06-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have all BU titles except for Quiet Days....., but you can always count on me getting anything that Bill pumps out. I'll be getting it via ups any day now and the collection will be complete. I love BU like others do Criterion. just picked up Vampyres, Daughters of Darkness and Baba Yaga last week. also watched Grand Slam for the first time a few weeks ago....now one of my fav "heist" films.

Blue Underground......
Old 06-06-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,272 Likes on 927 Posts
Count me in as one interested in Q. It's been years since I've seen it but I remember it was fun monster movie.
Old 06-06-03, 07:16 PM

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
woohoo! Andy Kaufman has a bit part in "God Told Me To". I'm looking forward to it. I almost bought the Brentwood or Madacy 4- movie set just to see that one again. I originally saw it at a Drive-In in the mid 80's.
Old 06-06-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gutwrencher
I have all BU titles except for Quiet Days....., but you can always count on me getting anything that Bill pumps out. I'll be getting it via ups any day now and the collection will be complete. I love BU like others do Criterion. just picked up Vampyres, Daughters of Darkness and Baba Yaga last week. also watched Grand Slam for the first time a few weeks ago....now one of my fav "heist" films.

Blue Underground......
How is Revolver?
Old 06-06-03, 09:10 PM

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
Whoa - fantastic!!!

Cohen is a B-movie classic genius.

Getting Q, God Told Me To and Bone makes my weekend!
Old 06-06-03, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by laserdogg
How is Revolver?
Hi laserdogg. I liked the film and really need to give it a second veiwing. a slightly different style, but still a very nice 70's type crime/euro thriller. both Oliver Reed and Fabio Testi give solid preformances. at times it was just a bit boring....but if you get attached to the story and the 2 men that drive it....it's a good one. giving it the tagline of, "makes Death Wish look like wishful thinking", didnt help give it much of a chance. Death Wish was and still is huge in Europe. this one kinda fell through the cracks. thank god Lustig believes in second chances.

also, another fine score from Ennio Morricone.
Old 06-07-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by djtoell
Er, Gold Told Me To isn't quite an 80s classic, as it came out in 1976. Anyway, note also that Cohen's directorial debut, Bone, is coming out in a SE disc from Blue Underground on that same date, as well.

DJ
Thanks for pointing that out, I should be slapping myself since I am a big larry cohen fan. It's probably because it was in the 80's when I first discovered this film. Nice call on Bone, forgot to mention that one. I like that film as well.
Old 06-07-03, 10:46 PM

Am I the only one who is not a Larry Cohen fan?

All of his films, especially Q and GOD TOLD ME TO, have GREAT premises, but they never live up to them. Get to be quite dull as well.

He is one writer/director where the films are more fun to read about than actually see. You can imagine better films than are what turn up on the screen.
Old 06-08-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by moviezzz
All of his films, especially Q and GOD TOLD ME TO, have GREAT premises, but they never live up to them. Get to be quite dull as well.

He is one writer/director where the films are more fun to read about than actually see. You can imagine better films than are what turn up on the screen.
My thoughts exactly. I can definitely undertstand why he has a following, but I always get into his films for the first 30 minutes or so, and then spend the rest of the movie cringing and thinking how I could make the movie better.

But, still, it's always great news when cult films like this are given respect on DVD. Thumbs up for Blue Underground.
Old 06-08-03, 06:13 PM

Any reason why I should upgrade my old Q DVD? I bought it for 2.88 at Suncoast, it was an Anchor Bay, a superior DVD label, not some cheapo studio, I assume it was a cut-out, the transfer was great and all, so is there something that makes it better than the previous Anchor bay release?
Old 06-09-03, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally posted by djtoell
Bone, is coming out in a SE disc from Blue Underground on that same date, as well.
Thanks for the bulletin! That's a very interesting movie.
Old 06-09-03, 10:16 AM

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally posted by moviezzz
That is a very worthy statement. I first heard of Cohen several years ago when I'd read through Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide and the premises for his films would stick out like a sore thumb (a dragon terrorizing a city (Q), white sludge that drowns a metropolitan area (The Stuff)) and the movies are often not as good as I anticipated they would be.
Old 06-09-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the Spaghetti Western Collection from BU a couple of months ago and was impressed. It's obvious Lustig & Co. care deeply about these films. It's nice to see cult/fringe movies getting the royal treatment.

I'll be getting the Cohen stuff when it comes out.

Speaking of Lustig, I saw Maniac Cop in Times Square when it came out in the late 80's (the waning days of pre-Guiliani NYC) - quite an experience. I was at NYU at the time, and my friends and I used to go down to Times Square to see all the B-movies that showed there. I recently went back to Times Square for the first time since then, and WOW - times have changed...
Old 06-09-03, 12:45 PM

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts
I agree that Cohen's films have great concepts but terrible execution. The exception is probably Phone Booth, which benefited from 30 years of development, input from such luminaries as Alfred Hitchcock, and a stronger director.

Another benefit Phone Booth had is that it was written as a small-budget piece, whereas most of Cohen's stuff is big-budget material shot on a shoestring budget.
Old 06-09-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I agree that Cohen's films have great concepts but terrible execution. The exception is probably Phone Booth, which benefited from 30 years of development, input from such luminaries as Alfred Hitchcock, and a stronger director.
Hitchcock gave Cohen no input. Until the late 90s, all Cohen had was the concept of a movie that takes place solely in a phone booth, which he came up with all on his own. The reason Hitchcock never used Cohen's story was because it never developed beyond that point.

DJ