Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

SG-1 Season 3 Impressions

Old 06-28-03, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I just started watching the SG-1 S3 box, and I'm impressed.

They've done a nice job cleaning up some of the compression/grain issues with the last 2 sets. Yes, there is still a bit too much grain in some scenes, but with 4 50min episodes on each disk, this is to be expected. The 5.1 surround mix seems a bit improved as well.

Cudos to MGM for bringing us one of the best bargains in TV box sets. Keep em' coming!

Funny- After just praising the picture quality, I'm now on the second DVD where they squeezed 5 episodes on it, and it's considerably lower. Ah well.

Last edited by Eric F; 06-28-03 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-28-03, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rent these discs. I might've considered a purchase for at least the first few seasons if they were about $5-10 cheaper and they were in multipaks like virtually every other TV season set (Buffy, Angel, 24, etc.). The keepcases are real space hogs.

But I'm glad you posted this since you've reminded me that the local DVD (only! ) rental place probably has 'em in by now.
Old 06-29-03, 10:51 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Cheap enough- cheaper than B5 or TNG anyways. I picked mine up at Costco's for $39. I don't think I've paid over $40 for any of the sets so far.

You're right about keepcases though- that's a general problem. Digipacks are better I think- but since they sell the SG-1 disks individually it probably doens't pay to package the box differently.
Old 06-30-03, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went looking for the Season 3 and it's been sold out at both Best Buy and Circuit City.

By the way... the individual Disks of Seasons 1 and 2 are $9.99 each at Curcuit City and the Season sets (5 DVDs) are $59.99, so it's actually cheaper to buy them individualy.
Old 06-30-03, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't really do an impression, but when I arrange my hands in front of a light, the shadow looks like a stargate...
Old 06-30-03, 11:48 AM
AJP
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Eric F
You're right about keepcases though- that's a general problem. Digipacks are better I think-
That's how I felt at first, but I've pretty much changed my mind about that. I'm fairly gentle on my stuff, but some of my digipacks for more frequently watched shows are getting kind of worn. Also one of the push tabs recently broke on a set purchased long ago and there isn't really any convenient answer to that (at least that I know of).

The SG-1 keepcases, while they do hog space, are fairly durable and easily replaceable if anything breaks. My SG-1 sets will probably be in the best condition of any of my sets in a couple of years.

On another note, I also like how MGM eventually releases the discs individually. If anything happens to one of the discs, I know I can always get another for $10 without hassle. Except for the squeeze onto 5 discs, I'm very pleased with how MGM has handled this.