Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner (3 Disc Collectors Edition) announced??

Old 06-05-03, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blade Runner (3 Disc Collectors Edition)

Due For Release: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 in Australia
according to:

http://www.totaldvd.com.au/shopping/...p?catadvd=6126

$44.95 Australian which equals about $29.28 US Dollars.

No details as to special features.

Also listed on:
http://www.dvdorchard.com.au/product.asp?PND=106054

Canít find it on any DVD sites outside Australia.
Weird that. Must be a mistake? Hope not. We'll see soon enough.

FP!
Old 06-05-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-05-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like the cover art available on the current WB release here in the US. Doesn't say anything about a few different cuts of the film, which is what I am hoping for. BUT, let's hope this is a good sign...
Old 06-05-03, 11:55 AM
Banned

I wouldn't take it too seriously yet. If you look at DVDorchard, it says a release date of January 2003. Also, Ezydvd has nothing about it and they're a huge DVD dealer in Australia.

Very unbelievable.
Old 06-05-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
I wouldn't take it too seriously yet. If you look at DVDorchard, it says a release date of January 2003. Also, Ezydvd has nothing about it and they're a huge DVD dealer in Australia.

Very unbelievable.
Actually in Australia, 1/8/2003 is August 2003. I think this is encouraging news, especially since it's listed on two different sites.
Old 06-05-03, 12:48 PM

The Total DVD site says:

"Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford) prowls the steel-and-microchip jungle of 21st-century Los Angeles. He's a blade runner stalking genetically made criminal replicants. His assignment: kill them. Their crime: wanting to be human. The story of Blade Runner is familiar to countless fans. But few have seen it like this. Because this is director Ridley Scott's own vision of his sci-fi classic. This new version omits Deckard's voiceover narration, develops in slightly greater detail the romance between Deckard and Rach'l (Sean Young) and removes the uplifting finale. The result is a heightened emotional impact: a great film made greater. Most intriguing of all is a newly included unicorn vision that suggests Deckard may be a humanoid. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Is Deckard a replicant? As with all things in the future, you must discover the answer for yourself."

-- It's about time the original version of this film becomes available again. I thought I was the only one who didn't like the Deckard's narration.
Old 06-05-03, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

But isn't the original one the one that is available on the common market right now? That's the only one I've seen. I haven't seen the director's cut, but when I did see the LD theatrical cut the other day I really liked the voice-over. It seemed to give it an old-school detective film feel. Either way, I wish WB would just bring it and shut us DVD-people up with a 3 disc set...
Old 06-05-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Director's Cut is the one currently and only available on DVD, and that's the one without the voiceover.
Old 06-05-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
The Director's Cut is the one currently and only available on DVD, and that's the one without the voiceover.
That version is only a "Director's Cut" by name, isn't it? (ie No added violence or sex scenes or anything of the sort)

Also, what are these "voiceovers"?
Old 06-05-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Class316
That version is only a "Director's Cut" by name, isn't it? (ie No added violence or sex scenes or anything of the sort)

Also, what are these "voiceovers"?
The only R1 version available is the Director's Cut. There is a big difference between the Director's cut and original theatrical release. The 2 major differences are in the DC vs. TR:

1. Additional scenes added that elude to
Spoiler:
the fact that Deckard is a replicant with a history/personality based on Edward James Olmos' character Gaff, a Bladerunner.

2. No narration. This is the voiceovers people are talking about. The theatrical release has Ford doing a running narration throughout the film, not unlike some older detective film noir flicks of days past.

These 2 simple things change the movie fairly drastically, and each version has it's fan base. Personally, I like both, and would love to have a version that offers both, as well as improved picture quality and an anamorphic transfer. Heck, even one without an entirely generic WB menu would be nice!!
Old 06-05-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wouldn't take it too seriously yet. If you look at DVDorchard, it says a release date of January 2003.
Old 06-05-03, 01:39 PM

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts
The term "Director's Cut" has nothing to do with sex or violence. It simply means that that particular edit of the film is the one preferred by the director. In many cases, the theatrical version of the film is the director's cut. In others, the director's cut is different, and can have more or less material than what was shown in theaters.
Old 06-05-03, 01:46 PM

Ezydvd has nothing about it and they're a huge DVD dealer in Australia.
EzyDVD does not list anymore the current version.
Play in the UK also does not list anymore the current edition.

Looks like its going OOP
Old 06-05-03, 02:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Someone please feel free to correct me but I thought there are three versions currently out on home video: (hopefully the definative upcoming DVD release will clarify this)

- theatrical cut
- DVD: "Director's Cut"
- International 'unrated' cut (VHS/Criterion laserdisc)

When Warner's was rereleasing the "Director's Cut" to the theatres, Scott didn't have the time to locate and reedit the excised violence (present in the international cut of the film) back to the so called "DC" print. The upcoming new cut of the film, will be the first time these scenes will be re-editied back into the movie.

Last edited by Giles; 06-05-03 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-05-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by renaldow
The only R1 version available is the Director's Cut. There is a big difference between the Director's cut and original theatrical release. The 2 major differences are in the DC vs. TR:

1. Additional scenes added that elude to
Spoiler:
the fact that Deckard is a replicant with a history/personality based on Edward James Olmos' character Gaff, a Bladerunner.
the "Additional scenes" is in which version?
Old 06-05-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mostly if it had more sex or violence it would say something like "the uncut, unrated version with even stuff you couldn't see in theaters!"
Old 06-05-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 236 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
The term "Director's Cut" has nothing to do with sex or violence. It simply means that that particular edit of the film is the one preferred by the director. In many cases, the theatrical version of the film is the director's cut. In others, the director's cut is different, and can have more or less material than what was shown in theaters.
The Blade Runner "Director's Cut" is not a true director's cut. It was the director's compromise that he deemed acceptable due to time constraints placed on him by Warner Bros. Ridley Scott has expressed dissatisfaction with the "Director's Cut", but believes it to be superior to the original theatrical cut and gave it his approval.

See the book Future Noir for the complete story.
Old 06-05-03, 03:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Aphex Twin

ok ok FINE...

i let you have that one

my bad.

but i still got the Indy joke in first :P
Old 06-05-03, 03:10 PM

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
The Blade Runner "Director's Cut" is not a true director's cut.
I realize that. I was merely explaining that the term has nothing to do with adding in sex and violence.
Old 06-05-03, 03:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I realize that. I was merely explaining that the term has nothing to do with adding in sex and violence.
I know we are ping-ponging on this issue, but the extra "violence" (found in the international cut of the film) will be re-edited back into the film for the definitive DVD, for all the completists.

Originally posted by Josh Z
The Blade Runner "Director's Cut" is not a true director's cut. It was the director's compromise that he deemed acceptable due to time constraints placed on him by Warner Bros. Ridley Scott has expressed dissatisfaction with the "Director's Cut", but believes it to be superior to the original theatrical cut and gave it his approval.

See the book Future Noir for the complete story.
This may be the case, but as I mentioned before, word is that the next DVD release will be a brand new cut of the film with the scenes restored that weren't available to him for inclusion of the "director''s cut". It should be noted that the new DVD, will restore the discrete 5.1 soundmix that hasn't been heard since it's original 70mm theatrical engagements. A 70mm screening I saw a number years back at DC's Uptown theatre, was a completely different sensory experience, (even with the extra benefit of seeing this on a huge screen).

Last edited by Giles; 06-05-03 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-05-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lastly, the Criterion laserdisc should be mentioned. Criterion would "love to do it", as they have even mentioned on their site. However, Warner "does not currently have any licensing agreements" with Criterion for DVD at this time. So, if a Blade Runner SE is in the offing, it most likely would not be via Criterion.
Old 06-05-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the "Additional scenes" is in which version?
The Director's cut.

As a side not, I was at the store looking for the theatrical release on VHS today, and it appears no one sells that anymore. The only VHS I could find was the widescreen director's cut. Looks like a bad day for people who like the theatrical release.
Old 06-05-03, 05:09 PM
Banned

Actually...it is EXTREMELY difficult to find the theatrical release. If i'm remembering correctly...the only version available for a VERY long time was the international version. The Theatrical version has never been made available in widescreen on home video...if i'm correct.
Old 06-05-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts
Actually...it is EXTREMELY difficult to find the theatrical release. If i'm remembering correctly...the only version available for a VERY long time was the international version. The Theatrical version has never been made available in widescreen on home video...if i'm correct.
Incorrect, I owned the Criterion LD of Blade Runner theatrical version and can tell you that it is on widescreen.
Old 06-05-03, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dom56
Incorrect, I owned the Criterion LD of Blade Runner theatrical version and can tell you that it is on widescreen.

Ahh..but the more anal person would wine that it's not the 'real' theatrical version since it includes the added(seconds worth) violence found in the international release

Yet to me that is the 'real' theatrical version. Has the naration..& added violence. My prefered version of the film...though i hate that tacked on happy ending. That i can do without!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.